Official Review: Tesla's Signal by L. Woodswalker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Official Review: Tesla's Signal by L. Woodswalker

Post by RussetDivinity »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tesla's Signal" by L. Woodswalker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tesla’s Signal by L. Woodswalker is a rather hard book to classify into a genre. On the one hand, it’s historical fiction, following the life of Nikola Tesla. On another hand, it’s a fast-paced science fiction romp, full of aliens and inventions which push the bounds of reality. On yet a third hand, it’s a question of “what if”: What if Nikola Tesla really had encountered aliens? What if he had some means of harnessing lightning with the power of his mind? What if those aliens he encountered had enemies with a terrible plan for humanity? This is not at all a serious book, and I have to admit, it at times pushed the bounds of my suspension of disbelief along with those of reality. However, it was a very enjoyable read, and I’m glad to give it 3 out of 4 stars.

The book begins with Nikola Tesla as a boy being struck by a bolt of lightning. This does not kill him, as anyone might expect. Instead, it opens up a strange power in him, giving him the ability to see currents of electricity and to act as something of a conductor for lightning, containing electricity in his body before releasing it at will. This power serves him well as he invents things like the Tesla coil, but for a time, it is the only real derivation from history as we know it. He travels to America and tries to get a job from Thomas Edison, but Edison proves to be an utterly terrible employer, and Tesla soon moves on to make his own laboratory, despite numerous attempts by Edison to ruin him. Soon enough, however, history begins to change again, when Tesla is contacted by a group of aliens who have moved beyond the boundaries of physical existence and can communicate through thoughts. The benevolent aliens who contact Tesla are not the only ones which have passed near Earth, however, and before long Tesla finds himself fighting to save all of humanity, relying only on the aid of a mysterious young woman named Clara Epps.

By far my favorite part of this book was the historical research which went into it. Woodswalker made a few little changes here and there, but on the whole, the book was so beautifully researched that I was perfectly willing to forgive a few changed dates here and there for the sake of the story. The portrayal of Thomas Edison in particular amused me, as did the little nods to other historical figures of the time. This, of course, is because I have a great fondness for historical trivia; even disregarding that particular quirk of mine, the story itself is wonderful. It never slows down, even for a moment, and the characters are delightful. Nikola Tesla could hardly be anything else, and Clara is a wonderful secondary character, sharp and fierce and fearless, but human nevertheless.

The book is hardly perfect, and I did find myself with a few complaints. As I mentioned before, I sometimes had trouble believing everything that happened. In any science fiction book, a bit of suspension of disbelief is always necessary, but there were times when I found myself unable to suspend my disbelief far enough to completely lose myself in the story. The main problem may have come from pacing. Moving quickly can be both a blessing and a curse: I didn’t once get bored, but I do think the plot could have stood to pause for a moment and take a little more time to reach its destination.

If you’re willing to suspend your disbelief, though, or are simply looking for a wild historical ride full of aliens and mad science, definitely take a look at this book. I enjoyed it a great deal, and I have no doubt that anyone looking for a fun story will as well.

Tesla's Signal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RussetDivinity's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

"Moving quickly can be both a blessing and a curse: I didn’t once get bored, but I do think the plot could have stood to pause for a moment and take a little more time to reach its destination." It`s just wonderful, RussetDivinity! The book sounds interesting.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
woodswalker
Currently Reading: The Golem and the Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 0
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by woodswalker »

Thanks for your review! Some readers have said that the historical and scientific parts of this book were too slow...especially the first several chapters. Which goes to show...you can't please everyone!
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I would think those are the parts you have to have to really pull the book together. Sounds like a fun read. It almost sounds like the author took a couple of the more far out Tesla conspiracy theories and decided to run with it. :)
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
woodswalker
Currently Reading: The Golem and the Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 0
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by woodswalker »

anonanemone wrote: It almost sounds like the author took a couple of the more far out Tesla conspiracy theories and decided to run with it. :)
You betcha I did! As I was first reading Tesla's biography a few years ago, I realized "this is a science fiction story that practically writes itself". So I had no choice but to write it!
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review! This sounds like an enjoyable story.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

woodswalker wrote:Thanks for your review! Some readers have said that the historical and scientific parts of this book were too slow...especially the first several chapters. Which goes to show...you can't please everyone!
Indeed!

A very breezy and articulate review. Thanks for reading and reviewing for us here.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Great review. The book sounds interesting, that's for sure; and I have always been a fan of conspiracy theories.
AbigailFTaylor
Currently Reading: The Star Scroll
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigailftaylor.html

Post by AbigailFTaylor »

This does sound like a great read! Thanks for the review.
ARRivera
Currently Reading: David and Goliath
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by ARRivera »

chytach18- wrote:"Moving quickly can be both a blessing and a curse: I didn’t once get bored, but I do think the plot could have stood to pause for a moment and take a little more time to reach its destination." It`s just wonderful, RussetDivinity! The book sounds interesting.
I have to agree with you there. This book does sound very interesting and this is a great review.
I've never read historical science fiction before. I just may have to start with this one.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

woodswalker wrote:
anonanemone wrote: It almost sounds like the author took a couple of the more far out Tesla conspiracy theories and decided to run with it. :)
You betcha I did! As I was first reading Tesla's biography a few years ago, I realized "this is a science fiction story that practically writes itself". So I had no choice but to write it!
Love it! :mrgreen:
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! The book sounds very interesting. I agree with you about having to suspend disbelief when reading science fiction--I'm pretty sure it's a standard requirement of the genre :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@RussetDivinity I almost picked this one up before I took a short break. Sounds like an interesting story that I would have enjoyed. Congrats to @woodswalker on the positive review
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”