Official Review: One Last Lie by Rob Kaufman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: One Last Lie by Rob Kaufman

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Last Lie" by Rob Kaufman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One Last Lie by Rob Kaufman

How well do you ever really know a person? This is the question that is posed to the reader of this novel. People are not always as you perceive them to be. Jonathan and Philip learn this the hard way when they enter into a binding agreement with a person they thought they knew well enough.

One Last Lie by Rob Kaufman is a fictional novel categorized under the C/T/M/H genre, more specifically a Psychological Thriller which will make the reader cringe in horror.

Jonathan and Philip are a couple who have been together for twelve years. They have a blissful and happy relationship. This all changes when Philip’s old friend Angela shows up. Angela and Philip used to be friends at university. However, this woman is greatly changed from the Angela that Philip used to know. At university, Angela used to be a depressed, greatly overweight person who drowned her sorrows in food.

This new Angela seems to have transformed into a bubbly, energetic, person who is fun to be with. Added to that, she is slim, beautiful and healthy looking. So when Angela puts a proposition to Philip and Jonathan, the deal seems to be in both of their favor. She wants a child, as she is nearly past her prime, but she needs a sperm donor. Philip and Jonathan have also always wanted a kid, so this seems like the perfect opportunity. It all seems to be too good to be true.

At the beginning, Jonathan is a bit suspicious of Angela, but he puts his doubts aside, thinking that perhaps he is being overly anxious. However, his doubts are not unfounded. Slowly Angela’s true personality and intentions are creeping out, and the situation seems like it can only end in disaster.

I found the character of Angela to be the most intriguing, from the person she was, to the person she becomes, as well as all her alternate personalities. She is an interesting figure, and it made me question why people such as Angela do the things that they do; although the flashback to her past does add some perspective to her situation and her messed up personality.

One of the themes in this novel is dependence. We see that people can either be dependent on material things, ideas or other people. This dependence allows them to be held under control. In this book, Angela’s friend June is one such person who is dependent on pills and on Angela as well. Tommy, who is in love with Angela, is also dependent on her. Jonathan, Philip and Angela have all entered into an agreement, and are dependent on each other for it to work; and Angela is dependent on an ideal idea she has in her head. Another thing is that the relationships and pursuit of relationships between the characters are important. This book does contain some aspects of romance, although this is not the main factor.

I found this book to be interesting, and I would rate this book a three out of four stars because I think that this is a well written novel which many people would enjoy reading. I did not give this book a higher rating because I think that there are certain parts which some sensitive people may find unbecoming and vulgar. As well as the fact that the character of Philip seems to be too nice to be true, his character is very flat as he doesn't seem to think bad or suspect anyone. I think this book will interest those who like to read books that keep them in intrigue, and those books in which the mental condition of a character is perused.

One Last Lie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | Hassle-Free Sample

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

The opening question immediately piqued my interest. This is definitely my kind of book. Thanks for an honest recommendation.
stoppoppingtheP

Thanks. Yes, the book is definitely interesting.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Really interesting review! This seems like a book I would enjoy!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

You have intrigued me, stoppoppingtheP. Very well-written review. Angela`s character seems to be complex and well-developed.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
stoppoppingtheP

Thanks. Yes, the book was very intriguing and I was totally fascinated by Angela. She was a bit scary though.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Lol, I read this review and realized afterwards it was by you. I'm not stalking you, promise! I do love psychological thrillers but there's one thing I'm confused about - Philip and Jonathan will keep the child after Angela gives birth, right?
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Great review! You made the book sound very interesting, or maybe 'intriguing' is more like it :D
stoppoppingtheP

Thanks. It was definitely intriguing.

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I did end up reading this one, and I agree with your assessment. The untrustworthy Angela was very interesting with her alternate personalities. It's interesting because I never thought of dependence as a theme here, but I quite agree with you. There is a lot of dependence throughout the book. Also, I found Philip to be a bit flat, but it was an enjoyable read and I'm glad you liked it, as well!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds intriguing. From your description, Angela sounds the most intriguing, evil though she is. I love it when the author draws convincing "bad" characters. Too bad the character of Philip isn't as good portrayed. You got me with "a Psychological Thriller which will make the reader cringe in horror", so will check it out anyway. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Psychogical thrillers with messed up antagonists scares me because I believe that this could be based on reality or there is a big possibility that you could meet someone like that in real life. The story sounds very intriguing and I would like to know whether the protagonists were able to break free from the agreement. Thanks for the great review.
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

The title, ' One last lie' by Rob Kaufman is so compelling. Having a child is a dream come true for Jonathan and Philip. What they don't know is that  they are on a relentless, agonizing journey filled with lies, anguish and finally tragedy that forever changes the lives of everyone involved.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for the insightful review! This sounds like one many will not be able to put down, despite it lacking in the character development of Philip. I'm going to give it a try and hope I, myself, do not come into contact with someone like Angela any day soon! :-)
Tariqah
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Tariqah »

Really excited to read this book. It has the scandal and mystery I typically fall for. Thanks for the recommendation!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”