Official Review: Painted Girl, A Kiowa in Love by RA Winter

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Painted Girl, A Kiowa in Love by RA Winter

Post by literarycat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Painted Girl, A Kiowa in Love" by RA Winter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

R.A Winter’s romantic novel, Painted Girl, is the second book in her Kiowa In Love series. The first book focused on Little Sparrow; Karen while this one tells the story of Sarah; Painted Girl.

Sarah (Painted Girl) wishes to marry Jack RedHorse, but Grandfather has other plans. While Painted Girl finds herself through her pottery and work with clay, RedHorse goes off to become great warrior, and Grandfather must come to terms with the circumstances of his own past to move forward to the future of the tribe. Painted Girl and RedHorse need to discover their Inner Indian, and Grandfather thinks he knows how to help them along their journey, and to each other. But as always, his plans don’t work out the way he expected.

I had previously read R.A’s novel Little Sparrow and instantly fell in love with the cast of characters and R.A’s writing style. I quickly jumped at the chance to read Painted Girl’s story. Before I get into the story, I had to comment on the beauty of the cover art. It is strikingly beautiful with the brown background and slash of red across the woman’s face. The look in her eyes is siren-like, drawing readers into her story.

“It is good to know your heritage so well. You need to know where you are from before you go somewhere.” This line spoken by Grandfather is a strong example of one theme found in the series: honoring one’s heritage. In Little Sparrow, R.A introduced a lot of the Kiowa culture, I am happy to see that continues in Painted Girl, complete with snippets of the language. In this novel we see Grandfather trying different ways to remind his grandchildren of their heritage, hoping to help them find their way back to their Indian ways.The author accomplishes this through his “hunting” trips with RedHorse, or his discussions with Painted Girl about accepting her name as Painted Girl rather than Sarah. There are a lot of quotes throughout the novel that make the reader think, not only about what the Grandfather is saying but how that reflects and applies to their own culture and heritage.

This novel is as much about Grandfather and it is about Painted Girl and RedHorse. Grandfather is such an important part of the Kiowa in Love series that it is nice to get a deeper look into his past. Readers realize why adhering to the Kiowa traditions are so important to Grandfather. As Grandfather faces his fears and accepts his past, readers see him transforming into a stronger elder. At the same time, we can see Painted Girl beginning to transform into the woman she is suppose to become. as she learns to accept her new Indian name. RedHorse is the character that struggles the most with his inner Indian, and discovering who he is and not who he wants to be. RA does a wonderful job bringing it all together. While there are three separate stories, RA weaves them all together in a way that bring everything full circle.

I love all the minor details the author includes to get the point across. In a scene where Grandfather is talking to RedHorse about the spiritual aspect of their heritage, R.A includes a prayer from a Lakota Indian elder. This adds depth to the story, one that not only shows Grandfather’s reverence for Kiowa spirituality, but also the spirituality and traditions of other Native American tribes. The romance in this novel is not the typical “romance” style. Throughout the novel we see RedHorse attempting to court Painted Girl (and failing completely). There is a relationship between them that R.A builds throughout the story. They don’t immediately jump into bed together or even kiss. With the theme of knowing one’s heritage, there is also the theme of learning to love oneself before loving another.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story. With this book, you get a little of everything from romance to fighting. I happily give Painted Girl a 4 out of 4 because it was a fantastic novel to read with things interweave that makes you think about your own heritage. It leaves you wanting more from this Kiowa tribe.

Painted Girl, A Kiowa in Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like literarycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This is a lovely review! The series sounds absolutely wonderful, and I totally agree with you about the cover art! It is enchanting!!!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Nice review! This sounds amazing! I am definitely going to have to pick this one up.
literaturelover
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: Chances
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literaturelover.html
Latest Review: "Red Romeo" by Peter Bernhardt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by literaturelover »

Great Review, I definitely want to read this book and the first one in the series.
Latest Review: "Red Romeo" by Peter Bernhardt
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review. It sounds like you really enjoyed this book. Well done. :D
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Nice review, thank you! Sounds like a very interesting story. And you're right, the cover is fantastic!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Great review! Your enthusiasm is so delightful. It's always refreshing to see a sequel live up to the original.
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Thanks everyone. It really is a great book, it's been awhile since I got excited about a book I loved like this.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Not my type of book, but great review! Glad you found a book you enjoy so much :)
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
literarycat

Post by literarycat »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Not my type of book, but great review! Glad you found a book you enjoy so much :)
Normally it wouldn't have been my type either but I've been challenging myself to break out of my comfort zone and read something different. Figured never know what you'll find, and I found a good author.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Great review! I don't usually pick up a romance either, but the way you describe this books means I would give these books a definite chance. I love books that include good detail of native cultures. Thank you, literarycat!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Crossroad Readers
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossroad-readers.html
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga

Post by Crossroad Readers »

Great review!!
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! You really made the book shine by mentioning the little details that the author included. Well done. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”