Official Review: The Naked Room by Diana Hockley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: The Naked Room by Diana Hockley

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Naked Room" by Diana Hockley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Australian writer Diana Hockley wastes no time setting the scene for terror in the first few pages of her book, The Naked Room. Ally Carpenter is a young, renowned pianist currently working in Brisbane. She spends the night out with friends to celebrate her feature in an upcoming concert series. One minute she is at a nightclub, and the next she awakens hurt and trapped in an unknown room with no recollection of how she got there. She is soon told by her captors that she will be released when her father pays her ransom fee. Ally must deal with the psychological repercussions of not only being kidnapped, but also come to terms with the fact that the father whom she was told died before her birth, is still very much alive. When two of Ally's friends turn up dead, it quickly becomes evident that this is a professional kidnapping job possibly involving someone very close to Ally.

The book centers around the investigation of the disappearance of Ally, which is led by Detective Senior Sergeant Susan Prescott; a character who is featured in several other books written by Hockley. What immediately struck me about Prescott was her no-nonsense perspective regarding opinions of female victims. When everyone else first assumes that Ally must have just run off for a bit with a boyfriend, Prescott swiftly shuts this line of thinking down and points out that no one would ever jump to the same conclusion had it been a man that went missing. This seems like such an inconsequential detail, yet it is one that I've never heard voiced before regarding differences in male and female victims. With as many thrillers as I've read, it's refreshing to come across a new idea. This one small detail of refusing to go along with the theory that Ally was just being a "flighty girl", resonated with me and set the ball rolling in my affection for her.

Hockley moves the plot along by telling the story from not only Ally's perspective, but also from the viewpoint of her closest friends and family. Occasionally I got a little bogged down by the constant switching of points of view and keeping up with all of the characters, but overall it served the story well. I don't think the book would have been nearly as interesting if only told by Ally. Even though some of the characters are unlikable, by writing in the first person through them the author managed to make me care about them. It also gives unique insight into what ultimately led to their own possible involvement in Ally's disappearance.

This is the first Australian-based book I've read where I felt the setting was actually more like an additional character in the book. There were many expressions used that even when I wasn't sure what they meant, still felt unendingly charming and added just that little something extra to the scene. This could also just be due to the talent Hockley seems to have for description. She manages to take phrases we've read time and time again and present them in a fresh way. For example, instead of saying my heart is pounding out of my chest, she writes "an elf in my chest is pounding away at my heart with a hammer". This vivid imagery actually stopped me in my tracks a couple times.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The characters are well-developed and the swift, smooth pace of the book makes it very easy to get wrapped in. The ending is tied up nicely and keeps me wanting me know more about where Detective Prescott will go from here. I love that I was kept on my toes to see things from perspectives I never would have considered before. Hockey's skillful use of language makes it a pleasure to read and all lovers of thrillers will enjoy this book.

The Naked Room
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
DianaHockley
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by DianaHockley »

What a lovely review and so beautifully and clearly presented by Ashley Claire. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing my first book. Now to post the next in the series :)
sphillips44
Favorite Author: Deirdre Martin
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sphillips44.html
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
fav_author_id: 20173

Post by sphillips44 »

In reading the first paragraph of your review you had me opening a new window to find this book. This sounds like such an intriguing and eventful read. Thanks for sharing!
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

DianaHockley wrote:What a lovely review and so beautifully and clearly presented by Ashley Claire. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing my first book. Now to post the next in the series :)
I really enjoyed reading this book and I'm glad it shows!

-- 06 Oct 2015, 22:22 --
sphillips44 wrote:In reading the first paragraph of your review you had me opening a new window to find this book. This sounds like such an intriguing and eventful read. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, I hope you like it!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! It's always tricky for an author to get the readers to care about the unlikeable characters. The book sounds great. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Awesome review! I especially enjoyed your description of the setting as an additional character. Sounds like a good book.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

"When everyone else first assumes that Ally must have just run off for a bit with a boyfriend, Prescott swiftly shuts this line of thinking down and points out that no one would ever jump to the same conclusion had it been a man that went missing. This seems like such an inconsequential detail, yet it is one that I've never heard voiced before regarding differences in male and female victims. With as many thrillers as I've read, it's refreshing to come across a new idea."
I applaud to Detective Prescott`s feminism. It is a new idea, indeed. Lovely review, ashley_claire.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks everyone! This truly was a fun book to review.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review, and this seems like a great book!
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you! It is definitely an enjoyable read.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I may find 'kidnap-for-ransom' a little common but to be ransomed by the father she thought had died even before her birth got me interested. Great review! Congratulations to Diana Hockley for such a wonderful book.
Valerie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valerie »

Thank you the sharing, what a great review. When the character comes to be a pianist or a musician I think it'll be unique story.
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you! There were definitely some unique plot points that made this book so fun to review.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Great job on this review! It sounds so compelling. I don't read a lot of thrillers but this one sounds great! I love that there was that detail that jumped out at you near the beginning. Is this part of a series then? Congrats, Diana, on getting a wonderful review!

(Phew, I was a bit relieved when I started reading the review. When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be an erotica :oops: :lol:)
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”