Official Review: The Girl With Two Names by Gerard O'Neill

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: The Girl With Two Names by Gerard O'Neill

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Girl With Two Names" by Gerard O'Neill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl With Two Names by Gerard O'Neill is a contemporary romance and a suspense thriller. The novel is about a young performer coming to terms with her past and the choices she's made.

Yayoi is a famous Japanese rock star, known as Yaya. After a traumatic catastrophe occurs, she becomes the victim of her own bad choices. She marries an older man, Nori, who is the violent son of a wealthy family. On top of that bad decision, she enters into a poor recording contract with his family's major label.

Nori becomes an increasingly abusive husband, which forces Yayoi to hatch an escape plan. While on a promotional film shoot in New Zealand, she meets Bill. They set out on an adventure to discover themselves, but it soon takes a turn for the worse. Yayoi's husband is determined to find her and bring her home to Japan. Nori uses his connections to track Yayoi and bring tragedy upon the ones helping her. While on the run from Nori, Yayoi and Bill form a bond and kindle a romance.

Gerard O'Neill is an Australia based author best known for his thrillers and science fiction novels. He has published two books and is currently working on the second book in the Erelong Trilogy. His writing is geared towards the young adult crowd.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. The book was a page-turner that kept me in suspense. The characters were well-developed, especially Yayoi. I became wrapped up in her story and felt real concern for the situations in which she became involved.

The author's writing style was descriptive, yet the story continued to move along without getting bogged down in details. He used true language from the different areas in which the story takes place. At times I was slightly confused if I didn't know the meaning of a word, but most could be deciphered by the context in which they were used. In addition, a glossary was provided at the end of the book. The educational aspect of using different languages was a nice bonus. I like to learn new things and to have something to take away with me when I read. One quote from the end of the book has really stayed with me. Yayoi tells Bill, "We learned ordinary people have the courage and determination inside to start over again. We can reshape our destiny so long as we are united with a single purpose in mind."

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars based on the reasons above. I think this book would be enjoyed by adult readers who enjoy romance and suspense novels. I plan on reading Mr. O'Neill's first book in the Erelong Trilogy.

The Girl With Two Names
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Very well-constructed review. I might read a book; it seems interesting.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
BLDRK
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BLDRK »

I really want to express my appreciation for the great review. You 'got it' absolutely, and as the author I think this is an added bonus I surely can't and shouldn't simply expect from the reviewer.

Momlovesbooks, would you mind posting this review to Amazon? Or alternatively, is it okay with you if I quote you here for the review section of my book page on Amazon, of course with full credit to you and this site?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Congrats to the author on receiving a 4-star rating. It seems like the book has all the right elements for an absorbing read.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@Momlovesbooks, nice review! I enjoyed reading it, and I am definitely adding this to my to-read list!

Also, congratulations to the author for such a great review on his book!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I get a sense that the author is a great writer. This doesn't sound like my kind of story (too realistic), but I think someone else would love it! (I seriously can't handle suspense.) Congrats, BLDRK!!
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I will definitely post a review on Amazon! I look forward to reading more of your books in the future.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review and the book sounds interesting.

Please note that according to the rules reviews are exclusive to OnlineBookClub.org and one should get permission from Scott, the web master, to publish it elsewhere. You can post a link to the review though or write a different review altogether
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BLDRK
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BLDRK »

Hi Gali,
Yes, Scott and I have been in touch, and before I posted my request above to the reviewer.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

BLDRK wrote:Hi Gali,
Yes, Scott and I have been in touch, and before I posted my request above to the reviewer.
Great! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

The author's writing style was descriptive, yet the story continued to move along without getting bogged down in details.
The opposite of this has become a big pet peeve of my mine lately. I like when writers provide just enough information without going overboard. If it doesn't add to the story, then it's not needed. Congrats to the author on a job well done, and great review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”