Official Review: Shadows at Sunset by Tonya Royston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Shadows at Sunset by Tonya Royston

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows at Sunset" by Tonya Royston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tonya Royston's debut young adult novel, Shadows at Sunset, is the first book of the Sunset Trilogy. I can already say without a doubt that I will be reading the next two books in the series when they become available. With just a touch of paranormal mystery and romance, Shadows at Sunset tells the story of not-so-average Laken Sumner and the not-so-normal start to her senior year of high school.

When she was a child, Laken discovered that she could communicate with wild animals, and she has spent most of her life befriending the wild bears and moose in the woods and mountains surrounding her small town in New Hampshire. Her best friend is a wolf, Dakota, who lives with her when he's not busy hunting in the wilderness. After a young boy goes missing in the woods without a trace, Laken turns to Dakota and the other wild animals for help, and she unwillingly becomes a local celebrity for finding him well off the beaten path in the mountains.

She manages to catch the attention of two particular new men in town: Noah, the new deputy working under her father (the Chief of Police), and Xander, the tattooed, motorcycle-riding bad boy who just moved from California. While trying to convince herself that Noah is the perfect guy for her, she can't deny how Xander keeps drawing her to him. Then Laken begins to suspect there is something more going on with him; it's such a coincidence that little boys go missing and then shadowed figures start appearing in the woods around her house at night. In her sleepy little town, Laken's life is suddenly in danger.

I could make a long list of the things I love about this book. The characters are likable and realistic; even Laken's ability to speak with animals is easy to believe, without being over-the-top or silly. The writing is superb and near flawless. The plot is attention-grabbing and makes the book difficult to put down. But my favorite part of this book is the setting. I've never experienced autumn in New England, but given the vivid descriptions, it's almost impossible not to imagine what it feels like to walk down a mountain trail surrounded by fall colors with a bear or moose casually roaming in the background. The heavy attention to detail of the setting allows for a relaxed-paced story, but I never once felt bogged down by all of this information. It was relevant and important to the story, given Laken's ability and her connection to nature and the wild animals around her.

The only thing I didn't much care for in the story was the ending. It felt too abrupt, without much of a resolution, which was a disappointment after such a thrilling lead up to the climax. I was practically on the edge of my seat, biting my fingernails in anticipation of some big revelation, but it never came. This might be one of the biggest cliffhangers I have ever experienced.

Despite my disappointment in the ending, I loved the rest of the book too much to knock off a whole point, so I give Shadows at Sunset a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who love YA paranormal thrillers and romances, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series!

Shadows at Sunset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
kristindurfee
Currently Reading: Edge of Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kristindurfee »

Thanks for the detailed review! I have this book in my queue, now I am even more excited to start it!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

kristindurfee wrote:Thanks for the detailed review! I have this book in my queue, now I am even more excited to start it!
I hope you enjoy it! I really did!!
Elena_D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-d.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Elena_D »

Probably the ending of the novel left you without answers because it is a saga, so don't worry....I bet you'll get your answers in the next book!

The title and the cover design are captivating, they really make the book pops out! I liked your review, it's obvious you enjoyed it!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Elena_D wrote:Probably the ending of the novel left you without answers because it is a saga, so don't worry....I bet you'll get your answers in the next book!

The title and the cover design are captivating, they really make the book pops out! I liked your review, it's obvious you enjoyed it!
Hahaha, it sounds like you have some insider knowledge about the series. ;)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@ALynnPowers, I love how your review is right to the point and yet detailed enough to give potential readers a good overview of the book's subject, the positives, and the criticism you have. I think that's one area I want to improve on in my review is keeping it more condensed.

Anyway...great review! I am definitely putting this one on my to-read list!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
congtanh34
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by congtanh34 »

I came across a sample of this book in an anthology a few years back. It was a lot of fun, but I didn’t know she finished the series. Guess I know what needs to go to the top of my reading list.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

congtanh34 wrote:I came across a sample of this book in an anthology a few years back. It was a lot of fun, but I didn’t know she finished the series. Guess I know what needs to go to the top of my reading list.
I don't think they are finished yet. The second book isn't due out until 2016, I think.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Really enjoyed this review! Great analysis of the plot, characters, and setting. (You really should try to experience a New England autumn!) Does the wolf play a prominent role throughout the story? You mentioned moose and bears in the New Hampshire forest, but are there any hat-wearing owls?
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

PashaRu wrote:Really enjoyed this review! Great analysis of the plot, characters, and setting. (You really should try to experience a New England autumn!) Does the wolf play a prominent role throughout the story? You mentioned moose and bears in the New Hampshire forest, but are there any hat-wearing owls?
I love autumn so much!! I would love to go to New England at this time of year. Maybe I will get lucky and someone will invite me to come stay. ;)

And yes, the wolf is super important!!!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! This book does sound really good, and like the author could add onto the series.

I love books that capture that autumnal feel. It's a great quality in a book! :-)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Great review! This book does sound really good, and like the author could add onto the series.

I love books that capture that autumnal feel. It's a great quality in a book! :-)
After stalking the author on Twitter for a bit, I have been informed that books 2 and 3 have already been written and are currently with the editor. Everyone join me for a happy dance.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

OK, sure!

:happy-jumpeveryone:
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Oh, there was an owl, but I doubt it had a hat. You just can't get that cool in a book.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Thanks for a great review! I'll defiantly have to add to my list (and pass along to my sister too who loves animals).
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”