Official Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unbalanced" by Courtney Shepard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unbalanced is a fantasy adventure novel by Courtney Shepard. It is the first book of a series.

The story follows four sisters: Asha, Ivy, Avia, and Mere. They each command a different element, which includes fire, earth, wind, and water respectively. Their existence is prophetic. Throughout the centuries, there has always been a set of female quadruplets born with these extraordinary abilities. They are usually hunted down and sacrificed by the Order when they are young. However, in this generation, things have drastically changed. Asha and her sisters have survived longer than those who came before them, making the stakes so much higher. For their own protection, they were separated at birth. Now several years later they are reunited. They gradually learn more about each other, themselves, and their joint destiny as they fight against the Order for their survival.

Given the premise, there are many dark moments in the story, which are rather riveting. Because the sisters have such great power, there is also plenty of action. The story is told in the third person. While Asha is technically the protagonist, the story also jumps around to the other characters’ perspectives, particularly when they are in different parts of the world. However, this is not done in a choppy manner. The technique works well, and the story is not at all hard to follow. Comic relief comes in the form of the characters’ italicized thoughts, which are sparse and effective. All aspects of the story are thoroughly explained and new details are revealed throughout the book. To accomplish this, the dialogue sometimes relies on redundant exposition.

The story is filled with secrets, mystery, and betrayal. The sisters discover the origin of their powers and come to terms with the dark history that precedes them. On top of that, they face sexism and have to deal with the notion of being monsters due to the use of their powers. Because they were separated across the globe, the sisters have unique backgrounds. Before being reunited, Asha had a reputation as a warrior queen in Colombia. The fact that their names go along with their powers was a cute touch.

As for the romance, Asha’s love interest is Clay, who was sent by the Order to kill her. However, he decided to spare her life because he had frequently seen her in his dreams over the years. Because they are enemies, there is lots of angst and tension between them. Their attraction is incredibly complicated and completely undeniable.

Romance, fantasy, and action are an entertaining combination. The author clearly has fun playing around with all the different opportunities of this genre blend. That was the best aspect of the book. She creates ever-changing bonds and animosity among the various characters and adds many surprises into the plot.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While the story has it’s fair share of fantasy story clichés, the author did manage to create a convincing world of her own. If you don’t like superhuman adventure narratives, then this isn’t the book for you. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy powerful female characters in leading roles.

Unbalanced
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@Tanaya marvelous job, as usual!! Thanks a lot, got another one to add to my list now. ;) Let me just stop here real quick and say in a very nerdy way that I absolutely lOve italicized thoughts ha ha. It makes it so much easier to distinguish them from dialogue! Anyways, the corresponding name thing is clever, but overall it just sounds like a fun take on the genre, and I think I have to check it out eventually. Congrats to the author on the amazing review!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

I'm glad I got someone interested in the book. 8)
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Brilliant review! You make the book sound fascinating and well-deserving of the 4 stars you gave. It's very detailed and I definitely enjoyed reading it.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks! Glad I was able to be convincing. And I also love that George R. R. Martin quote.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Even though this book doesn't sound entirely unique, your review makes me want to read it. Well done!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review!
TarinaJ
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Ophelia's Muse</a>
Currently Reading: Counting Stars
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarinaj.html
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by TarinaJ »

Tanaya, great review! I think you were able to cover the plot points fairly well without giving any of the story away. I have to agree with Escapeartist - I like italicized thoughts as well, as long as it's not over done. Hopefully the author will submit all the books of the series to OBC so you can read all of them! :)
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
jaime
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jaime »

Great review. I just read this and it was a fun ride. Pure entertainment, it doesn't disappoint!

-- 18 Sep 2015, 23:32 --

Great review. I just read this and it was a fun ride. Pure entertainment, it doesn't disappoint!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lovely review indeed. I am glad you enjoyed the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Great review, Tanaya! Your review really makes me want to get this book, ASAP. I can't wait to read it.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Tanaya
Currently Reading:

Post by Tanaya »

Thanks, everyone. Glad I was able to be convincing! It really was a fun read.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review! :)
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

This sounds fascinating! Going on my list!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”