Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 2...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 2...

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 2 Chasing Dreams" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As an American living in Japan, I like to consider myself an advocate for introducing Japanese culture to the Western world. You can imagine my delight when I was given the opportunity to read and review Claire Youmans’s novel for middle-grade readers, Chasing Dreams, the second volume of The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy series, which is set in a mythological Japan sometime during the Meiji period (1868-1912). I did not read the first book of this series, but this volume includes a prologue containing a summary of the events from book one, leading up to the beginning of Chasing Dreams. It is most important to note that Azuki has the ability to transform into a toki, a type of large bird with extremely valuable feathers, and Shota can transform into a sparrow.

Following the rather dramatic and traumatic events of the previous book, Azuki has escaped imprisonment thanks to the help of her younger brother Shota, and the two of them are currently in hiding under the protection of a nomadic monk. Posing as the monk’s student, Azuki disguises herself as a boy while Shota takes to his sparrow form and keeps a look-out from the skies as the three of them travel across their region in order to meet with Lord Eitaro. As recent orphans, Lord Eitaro is now responsible for their future, and he holds the power to send them to any low-ranking position that he wishes. Meanwhile, the children discover valuable information that could help give Lord Eitaro an advantage in an upcoming battle over their homeland. During their journey, the children encounter a variety of interesting creatures and people.

I’m not sure if my own personal knowledge of Japanese culture was a help or a hindrance for me in reading this novel. It was fun to see something in print (and in English) about an uncommon topic that I know about from first-hand experience, especially regarding food, clothing, and old traditions. Sometimes the Japanese words are used for concepts that do not easily translate into English, with excellent descriptions to explain those words. The author definitely does a good job accurately depicting traditional Japanese culture and making it easy to understand. There are also pictures of old Japanese paintings from this time period included at the beginning of each chapter, and the paintings seem to follow along with the characters or events in the story.

On the other hand, because none of this information was new to me, I found it a bit easy to get bored while I was reading. Some sections made me feel like I was reading a dry anthropological passage or a Japanese political history textbook; though I could tolerate it due to my own interest in such ideas, I’m not sure that younger readers would be able to push themselves through such heavy topics. Perhaps reading the first book would help; even adding more dialogue to the text would be helpful. Young Shota, who always asks a lot of questions anyway, would be a good source to help dig for information, rather than just presenting the information as facts in long paragraphs.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. For younger readers, it would probably be better to read the first book of the series before reading this book, to prevent being bogged down with so much new information at the beginning of the story. I would recommend this book to middle-grade readers up through adults who are interested in the traditional mythology of Japan.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 2 Chasing Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@ALynnPowers great job bringing the story to life. I've always wanted my spirit animal to be a bird so I could fly. ;) Therefore, that drew me right in, as any story with magical powers can to a reader who loves those kinds of things. Avian powers and traveling with solitary monks, check. Yep, right up my alley. I agree with your assessment too though that too much information could bog down the story enough to lose younger readers. Hopefully, for the author, that is not the case or, like you said, the rest of the series carries it. Either way, congrats to the author on a great review.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ALynnPowers, I really enjoyed your review! The cover definitely drew me in and the fact that these children can turn into some form of a bird. I with Escapeartist, if I could transform into any animal, I would definitely want it to be a bird. The book does sounds interesting enough that I would like to try, and I am curious if some of my students would enjoy it...thanks for a great, detailed review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

hsimone wrote:ALynnPowers, I really enjoyed your review! The cover definitely drew me in and the fact that these children can turn into some form of a bird. I with Escapeartist, if I could transform into any animal, I would definitely want it to be a bird. The book does sounds interesting enough that I would like to try, and I am curious if some of my students would enjoy it...thanks for a great, detailed review!
You should check out the first book in the series and let me know what you think! It might be better for students to start there, anyway! :)
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Honest review on an unusual book. I have very little knowledge about Japan but I am always fascinated by any information about the people and culture. This book is a fantasy, isn`t it?
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

chytach18- wrote:Honest review on an unusual book. I have very little knowledge about Japan but I am always fascinated by any information about the people and culture. This book is a fantasy, isn`t it?
Yes, but it includes a lot of true information, especially regarding culture: food, language, social norms, etc. It's also more about traditional Japanese instead of modern, but it's actually kind of amazing how much of the old culture is still relevant today.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I think it is great that you can give us an insider's opinion on whether or not the cultural information is correct. Sounds like the author did a terrific job on that aspect.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I think it is great that you can give us an insider's opinion on whether or not the cultural information is correct. Sounds like the author did a terrific job on that aspect.
I would definitely agree with you on that. I feel like this book was put up for review specifically for me. Hahahah.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Some sections made me feel like I was reading a dry anthropological passage or a Japanese political history textbook...
I really enjoyed reading your critiques, especially this paragraph. I read a story with similar issues recently. I guess it can be difficult to strike the right balance between telling the story and making sure the reader is well-informed about an unfamiliar topic. Great review!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Tanaya wrote:
Some sections made me feel like I was reading a dry anthropological passage or a Japanese political history textbook...
I really enjoyed reading your critiques, especially this paragraph. I read a story with similar issues recently. I guess it can be difficult to strike the right balance between telling the story and making sure the reader is well-informed about an unfamiliar topic. Great review!
Aw, thanks. And you're right about it being difficult to strike the right balance. I feel like I am the same way when it comes to giving information within reviews. :)
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

You brought up really good points about the appropriate audience for this book. It sounds like a cool read, though, for an adult
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
cheryltkn
Currently Reading: Dark Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltkn.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin

Post by cheryltkn »

Thanks for these reviews. I have added them to the To Read list and look forward to reading them. I will look out for the history lesson aspect and the warning will help me get past it. Thanks again.
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin

Return to “Children's Books”