Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Overall rating and opinion of Mark of the Remaker

Post by Scott »

If you have not already, add your rating for Mark of the Remaker using the book's page on Bookshelves.

How did you like the book? What do you like most? What do you like least? Would you recommend the book for others to read? Why or why not?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am reading it right now and so far so good. I will write my opinion on it after I am done.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Post by Levi »

I liked the book, I gave it three out of four stars. It was well written, and you could only sometimes tell it was the author's first book. There was a lot of action and it swept you along towards the ending, only slightly feeling a little rushed at times. There is a hint of Star Wars, but with a few interesting twists that make it unique. I love the genre, and this book fits right in. I look forward to the rest of the series, and to seeing how the story matures.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
gali

Post by gali »

I finished the book and enjoyed it. I love the genre and found the book enjoyably in most parts. It had too many battle scenes, but they fit the line story and weren't too gory relatively to other books I have read. I loved the characters, I loved the world, I loved the magic. The story line was refreshing, though a bit simple, and I found the ending satisfactory, though a bit abrupt. I especially liked the steampunk touches. It was fun to read about Hugo's Remaker abilities, though I wondered why his sister didn't use hers. I especially liked the scenes with the golem Forge and hope to read more about him in the next installment. I found General Docker Wells intriguing as well and General Nor fit the image of the mad scientist perfectly. I also rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. While I found the book compelling and a fun read, the writing was a bit dry and plain at times. Saying that, I enjoyed the book and look forward to read the second one. I would certainly recommend the book to lovers of the genre.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html

Post by Levi »

@gali
I'm glad you enjoyed it like I did, and that you noticed some of the same things. I wondered if I was being overly critical, but now I see that I was correct. Overall, the issues I had with the book are small, and more importantly I loved the magic and the people and the world as well!! Like I said before, I think it will be fun to see how the story matures as the author grows in his writing.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
gali

Post by gali »

Escapeartist wrote:@gali
I'm glad you enjoyed it like I did, and that you noticed some of the same things. I wondered if I was being overly critical, but now I see that I was correct. Overall, the issues I had with the book are small, and more importantly I loved the magic and the people and the world as well!! Like I said before, I think it will be fun to see how the story matures as the author grows in his writing.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

I only read the sample but when I got it, I didn't think I would like it. The cover looked like something from Star Wars (I don't like Star Wars) and I just assumed it would be a boring book. However I found myself enjoying the story and was disappointed when the sample ended.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
BrambleBriarRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24914">The Thirteenth Tale</a>
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 96

Post by BrambleBriarRose »

This is not a book I would have picked up on my own to read. It was an interesting book over all, though. I have already recommended it to others that I know will appreciate the video gamer atmosphere. I most definitely felt the video gamer influence here and I do believe the author will excel in that field as well as in writing more books. It will not take much for him to really hone his skills even more and become a top-notch story teller. All of that being said, I appreciated the attention to detail as it helped me to visualize the battle scenes and this strange and unusual world the author created. I also mostly enjoyed the colorful characters and felt they were likable or dislikable as the situation dictated. The book felt a little bit Lord of the Rings, a little bit Harry Potter, a little bit Hunger Games, and a lot Star Wars; yet, it still had an original feel to it. So, there are lots of good elements here. I do look forward to reading the next book and I think many of the details will gel together then. In the next book, I want to find out what triggers the sister's powers. I want to know if their mother is still alive and I hope to read about that reunion. I look forward to reading about the development of the many different relationships as well. All in all, I think it was a solid 3 for me.
ryanbookreviews
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryanbookreviews.html

Post by ryanbookreviews »

I enjoyed the book and gave it 3/4 stars. I had no idea while I was reading it that it was the author's first book, which must be a good thing!
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

I prefer medical thrillers but this sounds good too.

-- 19 Aug 2015, 18:17 --

I prefer medical thrillers but this sounds good too
stustuff
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stustuff.html

Post by stustuff »

Not too sure about the genre but will give it look.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I don't really enjoy this kind of book..but liked this one. Would surely recommend to others
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

I'm halfway through it, and I think its quite an interesting book, though the cover did make me wary in the beginning.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Alright folks I'm sold! I'll have to rush out and download a copy, this sounds like the kind of book my husband would enjoy as well so maybe we will do a read-a-loud. I am really impressed at how many people said they weren't sure but then really liked it... Now I'm curious. Congratulations to the author for changing so many minds and good wishes on whatever comes next!
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I just finished reading the book. When I started it, I wasn't sure if I would like it. I like Star Wars, but have found I can't really get into reading other books in this genre. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was hard for me to tell this was the author's first book. The characters were interesting, there was lots of action, and plenty of attention to detail. I give this 3 out of 4 stars. If you're on the fence about reading this book, go ahead and jump in. It will exceed your expectations, I'm sure!

Return to “"Mark of the Remaker" by Ian Yamagata”