Official Review: Legal Discrimination by Nehemiah Flynt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Official Review: Legal Discrimination by Nehemiah Flynt

Post by Kappy »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legal Discrimination" by Nehemiah Flynt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Legal Discrimination (2015), by Nehemiah Flynt, is a 220-page Christian-themed nonfiction tale available in paperback and e-book formats. The book examines issues such as unabashed lying by law enforcement agents and other governmental employees, the behavior of teachers in public schools, the abuse of power, overdrugging children, child abuse, the Bill of Rights, and faith in God. This appears to be the author's first published book.

The author starts with a brief autobiography, then recalls his recent experiences in creating and running a Christian school for troubled youths. The book's vignettes feature more than a dozen students, each with his own unique problems. The author wisely keeps the focus on the students, rather than on himself. The use of numerous students in the book keeps the narrative fresh and interesting.

The book's title refers to the abuse of power by various governmental agencies, e.g., Child Protective Services, the legal/justice system, and public schools. The author speculates that there is a movement in America to eliminate Christian schools. He also has harsh words for psychiatrists who overmedicate children.

Throughout much of the book, his numerous criticisms of government agencies are not supported by specific examples. However, near the end of the book, he gives us plentiful details of the events as they unfolded when his academy was targeted based on flimsy, unsubstantiated allegations.

Although the book espouses raising children according to Christian principles, there certainly are numerous non-Christian parents who would approve of the author's old-fashioned methods, and would also decry the heavy-handed intrusion of government workers into personal family life.

The author attributes numerous examples of pleasant surprises to prayer, and faith in God. He writes in a humble, matter-of-fact style, refrains from patting himself on the back for his good deeds, and lets the facts speak for themselves. It is also possible to ascribe his success in helping at-risk youths to his enthusiastic and positive attitude, or to the non-Biblical maxim, "God helps those who help themselves."

This book has earned 4 out of 4 stars. The author writes clearly and concisely. The grammatical errors are not serious enough to be annoying. He includes an ample amount of humor, which greatly enhances the readability of a book with such serious themes.

You don't need to be a Christian to enjoy this book, which is suitable for readers of all ages who are interested in learning methods of successfully rearing problem children. The story also includes a dire warning of the alarming amount of power wielded by government employees. This book will be a real revelation for readers who rely on the mainstream media for news.

Legal Discrimination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kappy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I enjoyed your review Kappy. I like how you mentioned the Christian theme, but also related the sorry to others of old fashioned values. We don't all have to agree these days, but we can relate to each other if we have similar values, can we not? I also like how you point out that the author does not fail to give facts about his case towards the end of the book because that is important. I think anyone can see that there is a bent in society against religious people, homeschoolers, and others of similar beliefs. And while it's true that sometimes those belief systems can be taken too far, so can the government and child protective services go too far, but I don't see people always trying to shut them down and discriminate against them. I think this brings up a good point that we all need to get along, try to understand each other, and only fight against something that is hurting others.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Escapeartist wrote:I enjoyed your review Kappy.... we all need to get along, try to understand each other, and only fight against something that is hurting others.
Well said! A big part of the problem is that many government agencies have become too large and powerful, which inevitably leads to the abuse of power.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html

Post by Levi »

I agree, Kappy!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Kappy, What a great review! It sounds like the book pulls back the curtain on what goes on behind the scenes at Child Protection Services....horrible but believable.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

This book looks awful. I agree with your 4-star review, Kappy. It's well-written and cogent, and you can't get your feelings in the way. (Therefore, I'm glad I'm not on the review team reviewing this book!)

But I personally disagree with the author's mentality. CPS workers are (to the best of my knowledge) required BY LAW to investigate everything that comes their way, no matter how flimsy. Often, after they do so, they are forced by lack of manpower to prioritize, similar to a triage, which cases to give their attention to. I don't approve of "old-fashioned methods" at all, although they're unfortunately legal. If they were illegal, then I bet you anything that this guy's charity house would've been shut down a lot sooner than it was.

And justifying the "old-fashioned methods" with Christianity/religious freedom is disgusting. If I had a child, I'd rather he or she be overmedicated than paddled.
bnreynaud_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bnreynaud_ »

The book Legal Discrimination by Neh is one of the best books I ever like. I look forward into Neh sharing more books with others on online like me. Thanks
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Good review. I wonder what kind of "old-fashioned" methods you are referring to (Spare the rod, spoil the child?). This book sounds somewhat polarizing, as we can see from the different comments :), but it sounds like something worth reading, at least to get a different viewpoint on the issue.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

The rod in the Bible was the rod of guidance, as used by a shepherd to guide his sheep in the right direction. "Spoil" referred to somethin akin to souring milk. I.e., if you do not guide your children, then they will spoil. It has often been misquoted as meaning that violence against children is OK.

I can try to respect varying viewpoints on this, but I personally do not think this book is worth two cents. I think that's what's going on here, too. The author is playing the victim because CPS kept sniffing around. Physical violence may marginally be legal, but it really isn't supposed to be happening in foster care (or anywhere else, for that matter).

I worked with abused kids and teens for over a year at two different residential treatment facilities. The horror of the abuse they'd been through was written all over their faces. Aside from restraining them when necessary, you could not have paid me enough to have laid a finger on them. And for someone to do that and justify it in the name of God? Worthless.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Does the book actually condone violence against children? I just read the review, not the book. The review says "old-fashioned" methods, but that could mean other methods than violence. As far as the CPS issue goes, I'd have to read the book first. There could be special circumstances. No system is perfect.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

It's an educated guess on my part, and I'd dare either Kappy or the author to come on here and say I'm wrong. (I hope I am!) But I read the look-inside-the-book segment on Amazon, and he definitely seems the type to advocate violence against children, since he wrote that his parents often paddled him, but they did it with love. :puke-front: I can only assume that the author emjoys spreading the love. :puke-front: But hey, if I'm drawing the wrong conclusion here, then someone come on and tell me! (I'm not, am I?)

I doubt that anyone in CPS looks over their daily caseload and decides, "You know what? I'm going to go harass the good Mr. Flynt today, just for the fun of it!" He's full of himself and his mission to discipline. Again, if I'm wrong, that's why we have this forum. Either Kappy or the author or anyone else who's read this book can jump in and tell me.

CPS did screw up--they should have shut him down sooner.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

I used the term "old-fashioned" to mean child-rearing methods used since the beginning of recorded history, as opposed to "modern" methods of turning kids into virtual zombies, and possibly causing permanent damage, by drugging them. Many of these kids were extremely violent out-of-control teenagers. Mild corporal punishment was only a small part of the author's approach; he never beat them into submission.

On the other hand, I can only go by the author's statements. When you hear only one side of a story, you seldom get an accurate account of it, so zeldas_lullaby may be right. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Knew it. Only losers hit foster kids, especially after what they've already been through. Thanks, Kappy.

I worked with Level 4, Level 5 violent kids. I would never have hit them. I can't even imagine. And actually, they all took meds--they couldn't sleep through the night otherwise--they were too haunted.

Whew. Deep breath. Hitting is hitting. I don't see "mild" as a possibility. But thanks for restoring my sanity, Kappy. I was starting to second-guess myself.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Regardless of whether I agree with the author's methods propounded in a book, I will rate the book based on how well he expresses himself. I will not give a book a low rating simply because I disagree with his methods. This author had a story to tell, and in my opinion, he told it well; hence the four stars.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That's fine. As I acknowledged, the book is well-written and put together.

I'd give it half a star.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”