Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by kitsune1997 »

Skulduggery Pleasant. It's a series about a skeleton detective and the girl who became his helper.
It's just amazing. The plot progresses steady, there are enough twists to hold you in place and plenty of magic, adventure and fantasy. Oh, and let's not forget witty and funny dialogues.
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Kate_Guinn81
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-guinn81.html

Post by Kate_Guinn81 »

I have to recommend the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. They're futuristic re-tellings of classic fairytales like Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White. But with cyborgs. I've read the first three and am impatiently waiting for the fourth book to be released.
keisha_jc
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keisha-jc.html
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton

Post by keisha_jc »

I would recommend The Book Thief, Red Rising, Thirteen Reasons Why, and the Giver. Each have amazing lessons as well as interesting plots! Great reads for younger individuals and even those looking for interesting fiction to read!
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton
molly_savannah

Post by molly_savannah »

I would recommend the His Fair Assassins trilogy. They had twists and turns that I didn't expect, had awesome romance, and had a little bit (okay, maybe more than a little) of the supernatural. Also, who can resist reading about undercover assassins in the 15th century??
fortydollarsify

Post by fortydollarsify »

I agree with melbuhtoast: Eleanor & Park is a must read!!
Briht_In

Post by Briht_In »

i loved easy and breakable both by tammara weaber but i also recommend the "crossfire" series by sylvia day because it's really refreshing and sensational
Velseen
Currently Reading: The Dragon Ring
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Velseen »

I suggest reading the herald spy books by mercades lackey thay are a brilliant set of books that are a good size and have a brilliant story line that draws u in for few days of not doing housework or anything but reading hehe
TheSnowBlues
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowblues.html

Post by TheSnowBlues »

I would recommend James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. It's about six 'avian hybrid' teenagers who try to save the world. There's a lot of action, a little drama, and a splash of romance and when it comes out of the oven, it's the best series I've read in a while!
Mkenzied21
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Mkenzied21 »

I recently just finished the first book in The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas and HIGHLY recommend it! I couldn't put this book down it had me sucked in from the first page. I'm already half way through the second book Crown of Midnight and it just keeps getting better. I will say it's a little dark for a young adult series but if that doesn't bother you than I would definitely give it a try.
g-fitton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-fitton.html

Post by g-fitton »

Depending on what genre you are interested in I have a few suggestions.

Lois Lowry's, 'The Giver' is a great read following the story of a boy in a dystopian society in which the citizens cannot lie, see colour or feel emotion the way we do. The book is part of a series 'Gathering Blue,' 'Messenger' and 'Son' and it one of those rare series when each subsequent book is even better than the last. Unusually, the books don't follow one character, or even the one community, but instead very loosely link with each other meaning you are always learning new things about characters and are never left trudging through mundane plot lines.

Alternatively, Ruta Sepetys' historical fiction novel 'Between Shades of Grey' is a thought-provoking and enthralling book if you are looking to read something a little different. Although it is beautifully written, it is not an easy read; it follows the story of a Lithuanian girl deported to Siberia in 1941 with her family. The description is brutal, and the characters heart-felt, making the story eerily authentic. This is a fiction novel however the events it is based on are true. One of those books that has you thinking about it weeks after you read the last lines. Recommended: Age 15+
Victoria_99

Post by Victoria_99 »

I guess King is the best for young fiction fans.
DanniTheReader

Post by DanniTheReader »

I highly recommend The Throne of Glass series!!!!!
Joliedesu
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joliedesu.html

Post by Joliedesu »

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. LOVED IT. It had been a really long time since a book got me turning pages like this one. Can't say much, you'll need to read it. Amazing, I promise!
meganderson410

Post by meganderson410 »

I can never get enough of The Lunar Chronicles series. I have read them over and over again (currently in the middle of Cress for the third time). I love their audiobook versions as well! Fantastic writing, wonderful characters, and an engrossing world that compels you to keep turning the pages.

I also really recommend The Selection series, although the fourth book wasn't as good as the first three. I'm hoping the author listens to her readers and takes a step back from making her protagonist so unlikable.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I would recommend the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. I am currently reading Queen of Shadows the fourth book in the series and I have yet to be disappointed by any of her writing.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”