Official Review: Runaway: A Tragedy of Youth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Runaway: A Tragedy of Youth

Post by Jesska6029 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Runaway: A Tragedy of Youth" by Peter Alpert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Runaway: A Tragedy Of Youth by Peter Alpert is a book in the contemporary fiction genre. Alpert bases this book off of a case he encountered as a lawyer earlier on in his career, but he changes the names of all parties involved in the case.

Jim Carson is a 16 year-old boy. He achieves good grades, and his peers all like him. On the outside, Jim has a good life; however, secret tensions in his home life wears him thin, and he decides he would be better off away from his family. He steals his parents’ car, money, food and a couple of guns and runs away in the middle of the night. Things do not go as Jim plans on the road, and one mistake changes his life forever.

This book is a really quick read. It is only about 164 pages, and I flew right through it because of how engrossing the story is. I read it in one sitting. I could not put it down! The book is very straightforward. The writing style is not flowery, but it is not dry. The author has a talent for making a subject that could be very dry, if placed in the wrong hands, very interesting.

The story is told from the point of view of Jim’s lawyer, and this gives the book a very factual feel. This is not a bad thing because readers cannot be swayed by Jim’s internal thoughts because we are never put inside his mind. I never questioned what I learned about Jim because the author does not sugarcoat Jim’s actions. At times Jim’s actions made me hold my breath because I desperately hoped things would turn out differently than I thought they would. Even though the book has a very factual feel, I felt so connected to Jim’s story. He’s just a kid, who makes a terrible mistake, and I couldn’t help but feel emotional about his story.

I really enjoyed getting to know Jim through the eyes of his lawyer, but there were other characters I could not stand. Jim’s parents, Richard and Beth, are so clueless about what their son feels, and they have no idea what is actually going on in their son’s life. I wanted to reach through my Kindle and give those two a good shake to snap them out of their delusional states. I do not hold my distaste for these two against the author because he is only merely explaining the actual personalities of these people.

What I really enjoyed about this book is the purpose behind it, and the attention it calls to how the legal system treats juveniles. The author points out how too often kids are locked away for life, and this book shows how quickly kids lives can change after one impulsive and irrational decision.

I give Runaway: A Tragedy Of Youth by Peter Alpert 4 out of 4 stars. I would give it 5 if I could. I recommend this book to anyone interested in juvenile law and parents looking to protect their children. The fast-paced and engrossing story earn this book 4 stars.

Runaway: A Tragedy of Youth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like Jesska6029's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

Great review! Sounds like a good read.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Sarah Clay wrote:Great review! Sounds like a good read.
Thank you! It's a great story!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Fantastic review, Jesska!! I love these kind of factual stories and the way that they can help open people's eyes to internal conflicts, and how lack of love, honesty and openness can lead to those internal struggles and mistakes that can change people's lives forever. After all, if we do not learn from history, then we are doomed to repeat it!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Escapeartist wrote:Fantastic review, Jesska!! I love these kind of factual stories and the way that they can help open people's eyes to internal conflicts, and how lack of love, honesty and openness can lead to those internal struggles and mistakes that can change people's lives forever. After all, if we do not learn from history, then we are doomed to repeat it!
Thank you! This is a great read if you like factual stories.
bettybug35
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bettybug35 »

WOW. This sounds like a really interesting read. I really enjoyed the review. I will put this one on my reading list!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review Jesska. The novel sounds interesting. I like that it is told from the POV of the lawyer. It's an interesting character study. I am adding this to my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bettybug35 wrote:WOW. This sounds like a really interesting read. I really enjoyed the review. I will put this one on my reading list!
Great! Let me know what you think!

-- 20 Jul 2015, 20:24 --
bluemel4 wrote:Great review Jesska. The novel sounds interesting. I like that it is told from the POV of the lawyer. It's an interesting character study. I am adding this to my to-read list.
It's a really interesting read all-around! I do hope you enjoy it!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wow, great review. This book sounds intriguing. I may add it to my to-read list, except that it's an impossible list already! I agree that one shouldn't hold mean characters against the author--how realistic would a book be otherwise? I get that! Great review!
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Great review. It's wonderful that the writer was able to take facts and make them engrossing. I might have to add this to my To Read list.

~Thimble
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Wow, great review. This book sounds intriguing. I may add it to my to-read list, except that it's an impossible list already! I agree that one shouldn't hold mean characters against the author--how realistic would a book be otherwise? I get that! Great review!
Thanks! I know what you mean - my "to read" list is out of control. I am about the start a new one, but it was tough to decide which to read now. I do hope Runaway makes it to your list!

-- 20 Jul 2015, 20:50 --
Thimble wrote:Great review. It's wonderful that the writer was able to take facts and make them engrossing. I might have to add this to my To Read list.

~Thimble
Thank you! The author is talented. I do hope you end up reading it!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

If I read it, I'll let you know!
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:If I read it, I'll let you know!
That would be awesome!!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Outstanding job on the review Jesska6029. Comprehensible summary, not factual - haha. The book sounds very interesting.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Leon Durham wrote:Outstanding job on the review Jesska6029. Comprehensible summary, not factual - haha. The book sounds very interesting.
I see what you did there! Thanks for the kind words!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”