Official Review: Stiletto by Lori Kay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Stiletto by Lori Kay

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stiletto" by Lori Kay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stiletto by Lori Kay is a book in the crime thriller genre. The story follows Detective Hamilton Riggs as he is solving the case of a lifetime.

What do dolls, genetics and drag queens have in common? Detectives Riggs and Frank are about to find out the answer. Both the detectives, of the Chicago Police Department, did not imagine that the most difficult case in their professional careers was going to start in a doll convention. Not just any doll convention, but the famous Destiny Lee doll convention attended by collectors from all around the world. The detectives are assigned the murder investigation of a woman associated with the Destiny Lee tradition. What starts off as a murder investigation, takes the detectives across states, from Chicago to Pennsylvania, to discover the secrets buried in an orphanage, which destroy a family. Will the detectives, with a little help from the FBI, unmask the villain before it is too late?

First off, I should mention that the book is a long read. What makes this book worth every page is the author’s superb writing style. The author has followed the noir-detective style to narrate the story. The author has introduced some really imaginative and unchartered plot twists in the story. She has woven unwed pregnancies, genetic accidents, confused sexuality and a doll obsession seamlessly in her story. Despite the many plot twists and heavy detailing, the book is not difficult to follow. The book is written in third person, covering the story from the perspectives of multiple characters. Apart from the acute mystery element, the emotional element of this book is also thought-provoking. The book is visually strong as well, giving off the impression of watching a television series.

The main story has various sub-plots crisscrossing it, but the author needs to be credited for the effortless manner in which these minor plots fit in, to form a clear picture. There are various likable factors in the story. The first thing I liked about the story is that though it is centered on Riggs, his partner Frank is just as good a detective, if not better. Frank is not the eternal sidekick who is relegated to the background, as is often the case in many crime novels. Secondly, the author tries to make this book as inclusive or open-minded as possible. Initially Riggs, who has his own narrow ideas about manhood, despises the crazy doll fetish he observes in the collectors. Crossdressing and drag queens only add to his disgust. I found his character pretty close-minded and annoying, until the author starts writing about his transformation. People cannot be categorized into clearly marked boxes and judged for their preferences. This is the lesson that Riggs takes away from the case and the transformation in his mindset is heartening. The other plus point in this novel is its well-developed, multi-dimensional, complex characters. Whether it is the smart FBI agent/profiler Kassi Monet, or Rachael, an octogenarian living at the orphanage, whose efforts to help a friend have disastrous results. Even the criminal mastermind of this piece is sketched in such a manner that the readers would find it difficult to not sympathize with him.

The intrigue, unpredictable twists, and a misunderstood villain, make this an exciting novel. I recommend this book to readers who love dark, gritty crime thrillers, with a complicated psychological element. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Stiletto
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

Sounds like the book has an exciting plot line. Good review.
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the cover looks a bit creepy.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice, thorough review. The books sounds very promising, but I agree with debo9967 about the cover!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

@LivreAmour217: Thanks!
@debo9967: Ha, ha! Yeah, the cover is a bit creepy but it gives a clue about the killer. It makes sense when one reads the book.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Oh, then I better read the book to see the connection myself. :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”