Official Review: Tipping Points by Mark Saba

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Official Review: Tipping Points by Mark Saba

Post by Katherine E Wall »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tipping Points" by Mark Saba.]
Book Cover for 2363
Share This Review

Tipping Points by Mark Saba is a strangely engrossing tale. I have read it several times now. First beginning with the initial read, and then with several follow-up reads to take notes for this review. Each time, it pulled me into the story and I found myself continuing to read and forgetting the note-taking. This is because Mark Saba creates three unique and riveting characters.

With each character given their own first-person sections, the author allows us to experience the events as they unfold and we live through their unusual ways of perceiving the world. This story revolves around the way Jared, Deirdre, and Eena affect each other. At first, each are encapsulated in their own limited and private worlds. As the story progresses sensualist Jared, pragmatic Deirdre and analytical Eena develop into their mult-faceted selves. Their interactions from their first meeting begin to shape their perceptions. At first, the changes are subtle, almost non-existent, and yet, they grow, and we realize how profound they are by the end of the book.

And they grow on the reader. At the beginning, the characters were not exactly likeable. Their observations were clouded by the singular way they tended to view their world. Mark Saba has a remarkable grasp on creating these characters despite their almost one-dimensional aspects as they are introduced. But, just as with anyone we meet in real life, we learn more about them as we progress through the story. And they learn more about themselves as they learn about each other. It is their interactions, good, bad, and indifferent, which allow them to develop more depth. They begin to take on some of the characteristics of the others. They become complete within themselves because of their need for each other. Their worlds, while not perfect, are less insular, more engaging, and fraught with difficulties.

Mark Saba is a masterful storyteller. He weaves the three first-person narratives into a beautiful tapestry which, like any good artist knows, is never finished but merely abandoned. It may raise more questions than it answers, but in that way it mirrors life. He balances and counterbalances the differences and the similarities of the characters until they reach a tipping point.

A reader can choose to engage in this character-driven novel simply for entertainment or they can continue to return to it and find truths they can apply to their own lives. While the former is satisfying enough, I think the reader owes it to themselves to dig deeper. There is a philosophical bent to this piece that we can apply to our own lives. How does our daily interactions, miniscule as they might be, affect our own psyche and growth, and that of the people who we pass each day? For Jared and Eena their journey began with an accidental encounter, and for Jared and Deirdre it began with an awakening of a memory.

This book is ideal for the reader who enjoys diving into the realities of other minds. It is not a fast-paced action drama and, like most books, it would not appeal to everyone. However, I think it offers something beautiful for those who wish to read it with an open mind, heart and senses. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to find out more about themselves and imagine more about those they meet every day. I certainly will be reading it again and again.

Buy "Tipping Points" on Barnes and Noble
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review ... but after reading the review and the book's description from B&N, I'm still a little confused regarding the storyline. It appears to be a "relationship" story, which is not for me, regardless of how well written it is.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html

Post by Katherine E Wall »

I suppose it should be classified as literary. There is much more emphasis on character than plot, and it is hard to describe that without giving away too much of the book and how the relationships intertwine.

It wasn't the easiest review to write for that reason.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
daina_angel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by daina_angel »

I really appreciate your effort for this. so please posting like this.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”