Two words: The Beatles

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Perrywinkle47
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

laci_baby wrote:
Perrywinkle47 wrote:
vamp666 wrote:Well glad to see so many beatles fans out there! (That was using sarcasm)
You don't like beatles?
No darling the sarcasm was that vamp666 had made the first post to find fans, and after 4 days no one had posted anything. He (she?) was being sarcastic: "Well glad to see so many beatles fans out there."
Oh yeah lol. Okay
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I love the Beatles! My mom was one of those crying fangirls in the 60s, and so I heard them growing up. My favorite Beatles songs are "Hey Jude," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Come Together," "Can't Buy Me Love," and "Got to Get You into My Life." They are so iconic, and great to sing along to!
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

...the best
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

This won't be the most popular post on this thread. I'm not a huge Beatles fan. Never have been. The Beatles connected culturally and emotionally to a generation. I get that. But as musicians and singers, they were mediocre. As songwriters, they were fantastic. But from the standpoint of a musician, not the best band ever. Not by a long shot.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
sagarverma
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by sagarverma »

Superb outstanding collection by beatles especially let it be and here, there and everywhere
Michelle Kwek

Post by Michelle Kwek »

My favorite Beatles number is Till There Was You.
ReadandRoll[
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

PashaRu wrote:This won't be the most popular post on this thread. I'm not a huge Beatles fan. Never have been. The Beatles connected culturally and emotionally to a generation. I get that. But as musicians and singers, they were mediocre. As songwriters, they were fantastic. But from the standpoint of a musician, not the best band ever. Not by a long shot.
I get your point Pasha but can you cite examples of your favorite bands? After reading your post, I was curious to find a general rating referral and Googled "Best Bands Ever". Rolling Stone Magazine posted their top 100 greatest artists with the Beatles at the top. Perhaps it was my age at the time 9 to 10 that influenced my decision and growing up in the S.F. Bay Area where music was/is explosive, concerts everywhere.

By Elvis Costello

I first heard of the Beatles when I was nine years old. I spent most of my holidays on Merseyside then, and a local girl gave me a bad publicity shot of them with their names scrawled on the back. This was 1962 or '63, before they came to America. The photo was badly lit, and they didn't quite have their look down; Ringo had his hair slightly swept back, as if he wasn't quite sold on the Beatles haircut yet. I didn't care; they were the band for me. The funny thing is that parents and all their friends from Liverpool were also curious and proud about this local group. Prior to that, the people in show business from the north of England had all been comedians. Come to think of it, the Beatles recorded for Parlophone, which was known as a comedy label.

I was exactly the right age to be hit by them full on. My experience — seizing on every picture, saving money for singles and EPs, catching them on a local news show — was repeated over and over again around the world. It was the first time anything like this had happened on this scale. But it wasn't just about the numbers.

Every record was a shock when it came out. Compared to rabid R&B evangelists like the Rolling Stones, the Beatles arrived sounding like nothing else. They had already absorbed Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers and Chuck Berry, but they were also writing their own songs. They made writing your own material expected, rather than exceptional.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney were exceptional songwriters; McCartney was, and is, a truly virtuoso musician; George Harrison wasn't the kind of guitar player who tore off wild, unpredictable solos, but you can sing the melodies of nearly all of his breaks. Most important, they always fit right into the arrangement. Ringo Starr played the drums with an incredibly unique feel that nobody can really copy, although many fine drummers have tried and failed. Most of all, John and Paul were fantastic singers.

Lennon, McCartney and Harrison had stunningly high standards as writers. Imagine releasing a song like "Ask Me Why" or "Things We Said Today" as a B side. These records were events, and not just advance notice of an album release.

Then they started to really grow up. They went from simple love lyrics to adult stories like "Norwegian Wood," which spoke of the sour side of love, and on to bigger ideas than you would expect to find in catchy pop lyrics.

They were pretty much the first group to mess with the aural perspective of their recordings and have it be more than just a gimmick. Before the Beatles, you had guys in lab coats doing recording experiments in the Fifties, but you didn't have rockers deliberately putting things out of balance, like a quiet vocal in front of a loud track on "Strawberry Fields Forever." You can't exaggerate the license that this gave to everyone from Motown to Jimi Hendrix.

My absolute favorite albums are Rubber Soul and Revolver. When you picked up Revolver, you knew it was something different. Heck, they are wearing sunglasses indoors in the picture on the back of the cover and not even looking at the camera ... and the music was so strange and yet so vivid. If I had to pick a favorite song from those albums, it would be "And Your Bird Can Sing" ... no, "Girl" ... no, "For No One" ... and so on, and so on....

Their breakup album, Let It Be, contains songs both gorgeous and jagged. I remember going to Leicester Square and seeing the film of Let It Be in 1970. I left with a melancholy feeling.

The word "Beatlesque" has been in the dictionary for a while now. I can hear them in the Prince album Around the World in a Day; in Ron Sexsmith's tunes; in Harry Nilsson's melodies. You can hear that Kurt Cobain listened to the Beatles and mixed them in with punk and metal.

I've co-written some songs with Paul McCartney and performed with him in concert on a few occasions. During one rehearsal, I was singing harmony on a Ricky Nelson song, and Paul called out the next tune: "All My Loving." I said, "Do you want me to take the harmony line the second time round?" And he said, "Yeah, give it a try." I'd only had 35 years to learn the part. It was a very poignant performance, witnessed only by the crew and other artists on the bill.

At the show, it was very different. The second he sang the opening lines — "Close your eyes, and I'll kiss you" — the crowd's reaction was so intense that it all but drowned the song out. It was very thrilling but also rather disconcerting. Perhaps I understood in that moment one of the reasons why the Beatles had to stop performing. The songs weren't theirs anymore. They were everybody's.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... z3eUkMK0ij
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I've never been a super big fan of The Beatles, but I had an ex once who liked them. They were like his all time favorite band he was like obsessed with them.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Rattusv

Post by Rattusv »

Masters of their craft!
When John and Paul were creating/writing together nothing could top their songs!
John is definitely my favorite of the four, but George is a very talented song writer and I love most of his music as well.
Paul is truly amazing but I don't jibe will all his songs the way I do with John's and George's.
I never did get Ringo, but according to the other three he is amazing, and they know better than I do.

She Said, She Said; Strawberry Fields Forever; Hello Goodbye; All Those Years Ago; Photograph; I Saw Her Standing There; Paperback Writer; A Day In the Life; Lovely Rita;

HELP!; The Night Before; You've Got to Hide Your Love Away; Ticket to Ride; I've Just Seen a Face; Yesterday - and that's just one album! Thanks for reading my post, there are so many more great songs by The Beatles check them out today!
DATo

Post by DATo »

Slightly Off Topic but Applicable

I was an extremely impressionable 12 years old when the Beatles hit the music scene as an international mega-group. You younger people have no idea - no, really, you have no idea at all - you had to be there to understand. No one, not Elvis, not Streisand, not Michael Jackson, NO ONE before or since has created the type of following, excitement, and hysteria that the Beatles did. Britannica even put a word in the encyclopedia to define it, "Beatlemania".

Prior to the Beatles the top 40 included a lot of folk music and lollypop love songs along with some decent rhythm and blues, but the Beatles music was on a whole different planet. It was a new sound which was exciting and very original in every respect. The first songs to hit the U.S.A. were, She Loves You which was already the #1 song in the U.K., and I Want To Hold Your Hand, which almost immediately became the #1 song in the U.S.A. Go listen to them and compare them to other songs of that era (1962) and maybe you will get a hint as to the change I'm talking about. They're still good, and they always will be.

On a different level the Beatles were also quite controversial and you will have a very hard time wrapping your mind around this. Why were they controversial? Because their hair was long. Seriously, you can't believe the hate many people leveled at them for this stupid reason. But those were the times we lived in back then. Their long hair was considered a mark of contempt and revolution toward the conservative nature of established society at that time. Now they also wore suits, white shirts and ties, polished black boots and in all respects were immaculately groomed, however the long hair condemned them to hell as far as the older generation was concerned. On the other hand, one honest critic explained them this way, "Their hair may be long and shaggy but it is well brushed." meaning they were clean cut in every other way including their lyrics so maybe the haters should just back off.

I remember walking down busy boulevard in my town at 12 years of age with Tim McCourt, a friend of mine. Tim's hair was long and straight but combed conservatively. Anyway, Tim being the riot inciter he always was combed his hair down over his forehead and straight down the sides as we were walking along. Immediately we began to get starred at by anyone over 30. The older generation just hated the Beatles and anyone who supported them it seemed. But the critics had one big problem ... the Beatles could back up any controversy with exceptional talent.

Pretty soon others began to imitate them. They started out mildly enough with groups like Paul Revere And The Raiders who dressed in these ridiculous Revolutionary War suits which were laughable and ended up with Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson. They didn't know where to stop ... throwing themselves off the stage ... bashing guitars to splinters on the stage ... wringing the heads off chickens on the stage ((ANYTHING)) to get attention. All the Beatles did was grow their hair long. Later there were those in other fields who also discovered that Beatles controversy was actually profitable and you see the Beatles influence in the controversial attitudes and behavior of many famous celebrities today.

They influenced everything, including fashion. Just take their boots for example. They influenced Nancy Sinatra who came out with a song called These Boots Were Meant For Walking. Pretty soon all the girls were wearing knee-high boots - it was big, I mean it was a really big fad, like tattoos today. To show off the boots mini skirts came along which was an even bigger fad. Both of these were enormously popular fashion trends back in the day.

They wrote and performed driving rock songs as well as soulful ballads which have not only endured but have been re-recorded by countless artists from every genre of music - classical to country - over the decades. They were the greatest influence on pop/rock music in history and their influence can still be felt in contemporary music.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
jayar

Post by jayar »

I'm very fanaatic beatles fan...Ringo and Paul fan here...they are just so awesome...
Kellic Quentes

Post by Kellic Quentes »

i love that band
J Conrad Guest

Post by J Conrad Guest »

I grew up in the 1960s and The Beatles were not among my favorite bands. I didn't really discover and appreciate them until after the death of John Lennon. Since then I've purchased The White Album three times—once on vinyl, the first CD release, and the reissued CD, remastered with all the original artwork.

I'm still not a big fan of their early work. Love Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, the aforementioned White Album, and (my favorite) Abby Road.

Favorite songs: Hey Jude, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Helter Skelter, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, its reprise, A Day in the Life, Get Back, and the side two medley on Abby Road.
aldith

Post by aldith »

In the movie "I am Sam", it was mentioned there that they said George Harrison couldn't make a single song (?) but when he wrote "Here Comes the Sun", that became the most popular of all time. I am not sure about the validity of this but HCTS is my fave
Subnavigation54

Post by Subnavigation54 »

Several words: Nothing special as far as I'm concern.

Return to “Poetry & Music”