Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Message?"

Discuss the June 2015 book of the month, "The Message?" by Avam Hale.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Message?"

Post by Levi »

"I love this book!! What a beautiful message, regardless of what you believe. Both ethereal and philisophical and deftly striking the heart of the issues in our society today. Great characters, both the affable and the cynical. Bravo Mr. Hale, I read this on a Kindle but it has earned a place in my heart, and on my shelf as a hardcover should it ever be printed that way."

That is my official review, now here are my thoughts:

(Full disclosure: I grew up around clean and loving religion that did what it was supposed to do: love and encourage other people, and I was at one point very devout, but these days I don't know what I believe. And this may sound strange coming from a male in his mid 30's who has tattoos and rides motorcycles, But i too carry a message of love. I don't know that it came from God but I just really strongly and passionately believe in loving others and trying to treat them the way that you would want to be treated. It is more that a mantra to me--it is a calling and I follow it faithfully. I believe that to change the world you have to start with yourself and your circle of influence and therefore I am always trying to help the people around me.)

Now with all that being said, I really did love this book. I think to say that a religious aspect ruined it or diminshed it's impact is absurd. Even if you don't believe, take it as allegorical and appreciate and apply the message. After all, the author could have meant for the story to be taken either way. Ironically, it mirrors the message of the book when you oppose it due to your belief system. What IS wrong with thinking that we should avoid excess and get back to the basics and love selflessly and with abandon? And why is everyone so diametrically opposed to the viewpoints of others these days? There are no honest, open, and philosophical discussions just Facebook banter that devolves into hysteria. You don't agree with me then brb lol omg whut is ur prob? I seriously almost drown myself when I find a person who can have an intelligent conversation that includes amicable opposition because I forget that the waters have gotten so deep and have to remember that I'm swimming and not putting a little toe in the waters. Let's all just try to do unto others as we would want done to us. It's not just a religious principle, read any self help book or medical journal. Love and forgiveness and giving and compromise and all these noble things are universal principles and they also promote positive medical reactions in the body whereas vitriol, hate, anger and their ilk only cause averse reactions. In summation, I feel that regardless of your belief system and regardless of how the author wrote the book, if you read the message instead of reading into it, you will thoroughly enjoy this book even if certain aspects such as philosophy or religious imagery are not your cup of tea.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

:text-goodpost: That's beautiful.
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

I enjoyed the book. I am not big on philosophy, so it was nice to get an overview of different ways of thinking. My overall opinion is high even though I would still say it isn't my cup of tea.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Big_B99
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-big-b99.html
Latest Review: "Understand Accounting Terms" by Akshay Rajgor

Post by Big_B99 »

Escapeartist wrote:"I love this book!! What a beautiful message, regardless of what you believe. Both ethereal and philisophical and deftly striking the heart of the issues in our society today. Great characters, both the affable and the cynical. Bravo Mr. Hale, I read this on a Kindle but it has earned a place in my heart, and on my shelf as a hardcover should it ever be printed that way."

(Full disclosure: I grew up around clean and loving religion that did what it was supposed to do: love and encourage other people, and I was at one point very devout, but these days I don't know what I believe. And this may sound strange coming from a male in his mid 30's who has tattoos and rides motorcycles, But i too carry a message of love. I don't know that it came from God but I just really strongly and passionately believe in loving others and trying to treat them the way that you would want to be treated. It is more that a mantra to me--it is a calling and I follow it faithfully. I believe that to change the world you have to start with yourself and your circle of influence and therefore I am always trying to help the people around me.)

Now with all that being said, I really did love this book. I think to say that a religious aspect ruined it or diminshed it's impact is absurd. Even if you don't believe, take it as allegorical and appreciate and apply the message. After all, the author could have meant for the story to be taken either way. Ironically, it mirrors the message of the book when you oppose it due to your belief system. What IS wrong with thinking that we should avoid excess and get back to the basics and love selflessly and with abandon? And why is everyone so diametrically opposed to the viewpoints of others these days? There are no honest, open, and philosophical discussions just Facebook banter that devolves into hysteria. You don't agree with me then brb lol omg whut is ur prob? I seriously almost drown myself when I find a person who can have an intelligent conversation that includes amicable opposition because I forget that the waters have gotten so deep and have to remember that I'm swimming and not putting a little toe in the waters. Let's all just try to do unto others as we would want done to us. It's not just a religious principle, read any self help book or medical journal. Love and forgiveness and giving and compromise and all these noble things are universal principles and they also promote positive medical reactions in the body whereas vitriol, hate, anger and their ilk only cause averse reactions. In summation, I feel that regardless of your belief system and regardless of how the author wrote the book, if you read the message instead of reading into it, you will thoroughly enjoy this book even if certain aspects such as philosophy or religious imagery are not your cup of tea.
Wow...how can anyone top this? Well, here goes.

I read The Message? about a month ago (I got it in a LibraryThing Giveaway...yay!) and I found that I could not put it down. I LOVED the way that the author presented the plot, as well as the different characters (Go Dr. Marcus!). Very well done. If I were in the position to rate this book, it would be 4 out of 4 stars, at least. I can't wait for the next book by this author.
Levi

Post by Levi »

Thank you big_b sometimes it is better to be succint, but it was just a story that I greatly related to, and I have also been wanting to study more philosophy so he really just hit the nail on the head with me at this time in my life. I'm glad you loved the book. I too will follow this author's works.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Escapeartist wrote:"I love this book!! What a beautiful message, regardless of what you believe. Both ethereal and philisophical and deftly striking the heart of the issues in our society today. Great characters, both the affable and the cynical. Bravo Mr. Hale, I read this on a Kindle but it has earned a place in my heart, and on my shelf as a hardcover should it ever be printed that way."

What a thoughtful, insightful review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Levi

Post by Levi »

Thanks Mr. Owlie :)
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I finished reading the book today and I have to say thriller didn't come to mind. I would have rated the story a 3 out of 4 only because the characters were well rounded and the plot was good. I had a hard time getting into the story and really feeling anything for it. I have read books similar to this one in the past and felt those ones we're more thriller and pulled the reader in easier.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I have to agree that this book is not a thriller. I'd probably give it two stars (maybe three), but I don't think I'm ever going to get it finished.
Escapeartist wrote:Thanks Mr. Owlie :)
HA HA! Hard to remember exactly how this got started, but BookOwlie, who's a very good friend of mine, is female!! :o
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I actually read this book a little while ago, January I believe. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I gave it a rating of 3 out of 4 because like bookowlie stated, the philosophy sections seemed long winded. While I enjoy philosophy a great deal and am a fan of Socrates, I felt that section seemed a little too much for the story, although I'm not sure why. It is a very thought provoking book about various different things dealing with life. At times I thought to myself; being a semi-religious person would I have believed someone who stated they had a message from God or would I have rebuked them?
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Big_B99
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-big-b99.html

Post by Big_B99 »

Yes, I think that 'thriller' is not the right word for this book, but 'change and choice' do fit in very well.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

This is a unique story that made me think about political and religious views on several levels. Leah and Dr. Marcus are my favorite characters. If only there were more doctors like him. Although I enjoyed the book and found it entertaining, I kept getting bogged down in the philosophical sections. At one point I could actually picture myself in my college business ethics course. While some people may enjoy the additional philosophy sections, I quickly read through them in order to get back to the main story. I rate this 3 out of 4 stars.
mystery lady
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rogue</a>
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystery-lady.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by mystery lady »

This author has an interesting approach to writing. If only we had a chance to benefit in real life from the experiences of another person who had fatal or near fatal accidents. I would love to hear their "messages. This is a unique book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

kstockard wrote:After finishing this book, I realized how much I really liked this book. I ended up putting "The Message?" on my 3 out of 4 stars bookshelf mainly because I am not a big fan of books with religious messages. One of the reasons I found myself moving past the religious references and deciding to keep reading was the philosophical take on the book. I am a major Socrates fan, and I really liked how researched Avam Hale seemed. Other than my ridiculous dislike of religion, the book was seriously entertaining. I agree with the common favorite of Dr. Marcus. I wish I knew a doctor like Dr. Marcus.
I liked the characters and the plot, but I also am not a big fan of religious references or of Socrates actually, but I think the author made it entertaining and engaging enough to finish. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

I wasn't as captivated by the book as I can see others have been. I think it really comes down to preference. It had a positive and uplifting storyline but I have studied philosophy which I think has turned me off philosophical books. I think I associate it with work instead of pleasure. I did however like to religious point behind the book. I would probably give it 2 stars.

Return to “"The Message?" by Avam Hale”