Official Review: Edge of Liberty by T.J. Patterson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Edge of Liberty by T.J. Patterson

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Edge of Liberty" by T.J. Patterson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Edge of Liberty by T. J. Patterson is a book in the science fiction genre. It is the second installment in this series after the first book, Whisper Independence.

It was a close shave for Adora but her escape from the Guardians came at a price. Zane is compelled to share the technology developed by him and his colleagues with one member of the Guardian forces. However, it looks like the Guardians are not keeping up their end of the bargain, since curiously on the eve of the procedure the Guardian in question fails to appear. A more threatening development is that the Guardians have not stopped hunting Adora. While Adora hates being virtually imprisoned for her protection, she realizes that an agreement with the Guardians is just the beginning and Zane can go to any extent to keep her with him. The Guardians continue to kidnap unsuspecting humans on Vitory for their diabolical scheme on Earth. With dangers lurking on all sides, will Adora save herself from being hunted by the Guardians?

I would suggest reading the first book in this series before picking up this one. Though the author has made enough connections with the first book, I still felt a bit confused initially and feel that the reader should read the first book to get a better picture. The author has done some good research to support the scientific arguments made in the story. The world of Vitory is similar to that of Earth; however this story is not limited to these two planets only. The author has given the readers a strong character in the form of Adora, a self-sufficient and independent human, whose independence gets her into trouble, as it seems. Zane is a likable character though his over-protectiveness can get a bit annoying at times. Their romance gives another angle to this story and the author has skillfully woven a romantic tale in the midst of all the action and dystopia.

The author addresses the question of freedom and liberty, which is the central theme in this book. The story tries to pitch in for a capitalist society or for a laissez faire kind of society and points out the ills of a communist regime. The author touches upon these deeper questions through the use of thought provoking debates, where the reader would actually sit and reason out everything along with Adora. The author comes up with an interesting and less-used premise for this book but unfortunately I felt that the author’s understanding of these governing systems is superficial. If the world was split into capitalist and communist regimes, then there would be no welfare economies.

Despite this, I would say that the author has come up with something out-of-the-box in this series and it is well worth a try. I would recommend this book for readers who love science fiction, with an intellectual proposition hidden in its pages. It is a well written, engrossing novel which deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

Edge of Liberty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords | Hassle-Free Sample

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Adora seems like a character I would enjoy reading about. Nice review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I'm not a big fan of sci-fi. I love the cover of this book, though.
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Yeah the cover does look electrifying.
Shakespeare17
Bookshelf Size: 0