Official Review: Between Octobers by A. R. Rivera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Between Octobers by A. R. Rivera

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Between Octobers" by A. R. Rivera.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Between Octobers is a book of fiction written by A.R. Rivera. This is the first book in her Savor The Days series. It is a novel revolving around themes of grief, loss, family, and love. Cleverly weaved throughout is a story of suspense that keeps the reader wanting to unravel more.

Grace awakens in total darkness, with her pregnant belly protruding between her bound wrists. With each passing bump, she slowly gathers that she is trapped in a box in the back of a car. She is hurt and has no memory of what happened. Without even knowing the extent of her injuries, she resolves to fight for her life and her unborn baby's. As she tries to come to grips with what happened, she thinks about the last year leading up to her captivity.

Grace Zuniga hasn't led an easy life. It's nearly the one year anniversary of her husband's death. A car accident left her and their two boys behind to mourn his loss. Grace's whole identity is ripped away along with the only man she has ever been with. It has taken close to a year, but she's finally putting herself back together. She isn't looking for companionship and actually thinks that part of her life is over until she meets a handsome stranger in an elevator. Evan, also known as famous actor Rhys Matthews, is good-looking, charismatic, funny, and brings out a side of Grace she thought long dormant.

Evan and Grace develop a friendship that slowly starts taking a turn for the romantic. Grace shies away from Evan, struggling with the thought of being with someone other than her late husband. Is it too soon? Also holding her back is her own fear. A fear that she will be hurt again by the man she loves. Grace gradually releases her guilt and fear and begins finding comfort in Evan. They soon find themselves alone in Vegas and married.

After a brief honeymoon phase, their relationship finds itself being constantly put to the test. Evan must go out of town for months at a time for a movie shoot and Grace is left alone to deal with her newfound infamy for having snagged one of the hottest stars of the moment. Evan loves his new family, but has always maintained that he wants no kids of his own. Grace fears the worst when she finds herself unexpectedly pregnant. Is her fear of him leaving coming to reality already? Meanwhile Evan is grappling with his own vices that threaten to end their marriage. With so many obstacles in their way, is the relationship meant to be?

I went into this book thinking it was going to be a run-of-the-mill thriller. I was pleasantly surprised when the book began seamlessly alternating between suspense and love story. I honestly don't know that I've ever read another book like it. Just when I was getting the warm fuzzies from the developing relationship, Rivera switches back to Grace's current danger and I found myself instantly on edge again. This book also comes fully equipped with an ending that I did not see coming, which is my favorite kind of ending.

The characters in this book are imperfect, flawed people. At times this makes the story difficult to read because I was too busy screaming at them through the book, which only served to show me how engrossed I actually was. The first chapter is designed to grab readers by the heart and not let go. I dare anyone to read it and simply put the book down and walk away. Lovers of both thriller and romance will enjoy Between Octobers. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and will happily be reading the next book in the series.

Between Octobers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords | Hassle-Free Sample

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
ARRivera
Currently Reading: David and Goliath
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by ARRivera »

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for your glowing, thoughtful review!
I can honestly say this is the most comprehensive, insightful, and eloquent review my book has ever received.
And my next book in the series will be out next month. I'd be happy to get your thoughts on that!
xo
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you! I admit I struggled for a few days writing the review because I felt like I wasn't doing it justice. Glad you like it!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Doesn't sound like my type of book but this is a good review :)
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you!
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Great review, thank you! Sounds like an interesting book to read.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review. I love it when books have unpredictable endings. :D
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you :) It is definitely an interesting book. While you may be able to somewhat guess who it is that kidnaps Grace, the ending is still a turn that I did not see coming.
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

Well now I have a dilemma. I dislike romances and never read them, but your review has hooked me into this story and now I want to what happens!
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

It's not really your typical romance, if that helps. I enjoy that Grace has the fortitude to be past the worst of her grief on her own before meeting Evan. I think most romances would be more cliche and have her meeting Evan and him becoming THE turning point for Grace getting on with her life. I like her independence.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I love reading about flawed characters. They are my favorite characters to read about. I think they grow the most a lot of the time, and I can usually relate to them better. Stellar review!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”