Official Review: The Circle of Six: Emily's Quest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Official Review: The Circle of Six: Emily's Quest

Post by Lisalovecraft »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Circle of Six: Emily's Quest" by Dan Sanders.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Circle of Six: Emily’s Quest by Dan Sanders is an epic fantasy that focuses on Eostra Day, a pagan holiday known today as Easter. The story starts off in ancient Greece, and the author works some well-known historical figures into the story. The action really begins when the characters travel through a portal to Earth’s twin world: Annwyn.

A group of six creatures must work together to stop an evil entity and his minions from causing destruction and disharmony on Annwyn and Earth. Emily, the main character, is a rabbit. Well, she starts out as a bird, but that’s a long story! She is chosen to be the leader of the Circle of Six by the goddess Eostra. I was wary about identifying with a rabbit, but the author did an excellent job of allowing the reader to see the world through a rabbit’s eyes, while still giving the character enough human-like emotions to relate to.

This world of Annwyn is very complex. The explanations of the world and its unique attributes are spaced out and logically placed throughout the book. I liked the use of Thoughtspeak, a method of telepathic communication used in Annwyn. Water, air, fire, and earth are manipulated and used by the denizens of the world. Many of the creatures and cities are defined by which element they work with. The politics in the world are complex yet very interesting, and also tie into the use of elements.

There are probably over twenty characters in Circle of Six. Each of the many characters is different enough in name, appearance, and personality that I had little difficulty telling them apart. I loved how the main characters grew and changed over the course of this book, often overcoming personal barriers. They learned to work together despite their many differences. There was a very positive message underlying this story.

While there was a positive message, the story has a serious tone. Sometimes I had to take a break due to the intensity of the events. The Circle faced overwhelming odds. At times, it seemed like their victory would be impossible. The fight scenes could be grim, and the effects of war were not presented lightly. I thought that some scenes may be too intense for younger children.

Artifacts and magical items can be clichéd and overpowered in the fantasy genre. While there are plenty of magic items in Circle of Six, these items were appropriate within the story. The magic items were not easy to master. The powers of the magical artifacts were evenly balanced with the characters’ choices and actions.

The underlying goal of this book is to explore the pagan holiday Eostra Day, which celebrates rebirth and the return of life to the land. The origins of some common Easter symbols, such as the rabbit and eggs, are explained during the course of the tale. We see themes such as good versus evil, life and rebirth versus destruction and death. Socrates' famous cave allegory is discussed and referenced throughout the story. While these themes were explored, the story could also be taken at face value and enjoyed simply as an action-filled fantasy. I am familiar with the pre-Christian roots of this holiday, so nothing in this book came as a shock.

There are very few problems with this book. There are a few typos, but nothing major. I thought the ending was a tad childish compared to the rest of the book. Neither of these issues were a big deal for me since every other part of the book was so good!

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story, the characters, and the descriptions are excellent. The plot is masterfully woven together and has great pacing. The story is intense at times, but I found it engaging and readable. There is a positive message, which was a plus. This 420-page fantasy tale is aimed at young adults but can be enjoyed by teens and adults alike.

The Circle of Six: Emily's Quest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like Lisalovecraft's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashley3255
Currently Reading: wild
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley3255.html

Post by Ashley3255 »

sounds like a great book! Thanks for posting your review. I'm adding this book to my bookshelf.
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Thanks! I was really, really impressed with it. It definitely exceeded my expectations!
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Outstanding review! I think this is the best review I have read so far. You told me everything I consider to be important. I'm going to use this as a model review next time I write one.

A story with the protagonists facing overwhelming odds is something I love to see.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! I like that you mentioned that the magic items are appropriate within the storyline. It's true that sometimes fantasy novels can go over the top with these things. Then it turns into too many items just for the sake of having a lot of fantasy elements.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Dan_Sanders
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dan_Sanders »

Lisa
Thanks for your review. It's pleasing to see a reviewer capture the political, philosophical, and thematic nuances in a fantasy work, which is not always easy. I revelled at the sophistication of your insight, and most of all, I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it. For me also, there were pretty tense and emotional times during the writing of the work.

It gives me a boost while I'm punching away at Book II.
Best, Dan
DAN SANDERS
Author
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I love YA, and I'm always looking for a good fantasy! This sounds like a very interesting book.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Wow, sounds like a fun story! Thanks for the review!
HUDZY
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hudzy.html

Post by HUDZY »

I will definitely add this book to my "to read" list thanks to your review!
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Dan_Sanders wrote:Lisa
Thanks for your review. It's pleasing to see a reviewer capture the political, philosophical, and thematic nuances in a fantasy work, which is not always easy. I revelled at the sophistication of your insight, and most of all, I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it. For me also, there were pretty tense and emotional times during the writing of the work.

It gives me a boost while I'm punching away at Book II.
Best, Dan
DAN SANDERS
Author
Thanks for writing this book! It was wonderful. Looking forward to reading book 2.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Thanks so much for this insightful, well-written review Lisalovecraft. And congrats to Dan Sanders, can't wait to read your book :)
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Thanks @circling turtle . I can't say enough good things about this book, it was masterfully written. Thanks for checking out the review :)
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

This review is great! The book seems like a really good read!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I appreciate your feedback! I am looking forward to the second book in this series, since this one was so unique and well-written.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

It sounds like there is a lot going on in this book and you did a wonderful job of making it understandable. Even just the basics that the main character is a rabbit sounds fascinating.

You did a good job of hitting on all the important story elements and were frank in your criticism, warnings and praise. An all around excellent review. Thank you, Lisa.

Sincerely, LLR
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”