What books did you buy recently?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

What books did you buy recently?

Post by StephenKingman »

Ok, we need a thread like this as its a different category to What you are currently reading and rating your last book.

This book is for any purchases you have made recently in the book world, including any interesting facts about the book, price bargains and Special Editions.

I will get the ball rolling:

Yesterday, i treated myself to The Kite Runner by Hosseini, i have heard so much praise about this book that i decided to add it to my TBR list. I also have A Thousand Splendid Suns to read as well. In addition i bought On The Road by Jack Kerouac, its one of the "50 Books to Read Before You Die" so as long as im alive, i want to cross it off my list!

Any you, what have you bought?
You only live once.....so live!
Acheron

Post by Acheron »

HEY THERE THIS IS DIFFICULT FOR ME AS I BUY SEVERAL BOOKS A DAY THE MOST RECENT ARE: SHAYLA BLACK THE DOOMSDAY BRETHREN NOVELS - THE SERIES IS DEFINATELY WORTH READING IF YOU LIKE PARANORMAL READING, WITCHES WARLOCKS AND BATTLES BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL, ALSO ROMANCE PLAYS A LARGE PART.
ALSO DEBORAH COOKE THE DRAGONFIRE NOVELS, THESE TOO ARE PARANORMAL WITH ROMANCE BETWEEN THE DRAGONS AND HUMAN FEMALES.

I FIND AMAZON IS A GREAT PLACE TO BUY BOOKS I FIND THEM TO BE CHEAPER THAN A LOT OF PLACES WITH A LARGE SELECTION AND QUICK DELIVERY.

ACHERON
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Let's see: The Canterbury Tales, The History of the Vikings, A Brief History of Time, Sod Walls, The Road, Devils. That is my most recent list of purchases.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Mairin wrote: A Brief History of Time
Excellent book, i would really recommend it.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Yea I ended up finishing it fairly quickly. It was just so well written that I was able to read it quickly and understand what he was explaining.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

'No and Me' by Delphine de Vigan ... heard it recommended somewhere & how could anyone resist that title?
'Room' by Emma Donoghue .... Booker nomination so have to be able to be opinionated about it!
'The Infinities' by John Banville ... because I love his writings
'The Einstein Girl' by Philip Sington .... because I liked the cover (I really am incredibly shallow)
'Ethan Frome & Other Stories' by Edith Wharton because I like her stuff
'The Greek & Roman Myths' by Philip Matyszak because I am interested in mythology & you just have to feel this book ... Blue & Gold cover it just begged me to take it home & cherish it.
'Broadcast Talks' by C S Lewis .... I've been in love with him since childhood and I got it cheap in The Winding Stair bookshop in Dublin ... are you familiar with that shop Stephenkingman?
The TBR Pile = Life, Jim but not as we know it!
BookReviewer

Post by BookReviewer »

Seems like everyone here reads "kitty" books.
PetarD

Post by PetarD »

The last book I bought was W. Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar", and the once before that being "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I'm expecting "The Once and Future King" by Terence H. White.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

BookReviewer wrote:Seems like everyone here reads "kitty" books.
I guess I'm confused as to what exactly you mean by "kitty books". Would you care to explain?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Mairin wrote:
BookReviewer wrote:Seems like everyone here reads "kitty" books.
I guess I'm confused as to what exactly you mean by "kitty books". Would you care to explain?
Means nothing to me either
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

I would imagine kitty books mean chick lit or books which deal with strong emotion? But thats just a guess, could be wrong....
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Well what the hockey sticks does he know (or she)? Ignore it.
Nice thread by the by StephenKingman, exactly what we needed.

Im kind of in a Holocaust book fascination right now.
Okay, i bought I Have Lived A Thousand Years by Livia Bitton-Jackson, Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, and Auschwitz: a New History by Laurence Rees.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

I would imagine kitty books mean chick lit or books which deal with strong emotion? But thats just a guess, could be wrong....
Actually, it makes most sense to me that they intended to say "kiddy" or "kiddie" books.
Seems like an insult in a sense to me... But since no one knows for sure, I refrain comments.

Right before I left for the airport I bought Kim Harrison's Black Magic Sanction. The 8th in her The Hollows series.
( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ♥ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )
Tonya
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: honest illusions by Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: elegy
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by Tonya »

the pact,the first cases by J.D. Robb
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I just purchased a first edition signed copy of "Ghostwritten" by David Mitchell. I am just getting into David Mitchell. Very impressed with what I have read so far. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”