Anne of Green Gables

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Anne of Green Gables

Post by debbiebee »

Was anyone else totally hooked on the Anne of Green Gables books? I adored them and still do, and have actually read the whole series. I'm not blind to their faults - yes, they can be very sentimental, but they still had and have a special place in my heart, and I still cry at Matthew's death and think that if Heaven isn't a bit like Prince Edward island, I don't want to go there!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oh yes, I used to read Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and Anne of the Island when I was 9/10, out on our second-floor sunporch. I still remember that--I loved them.

Small problem--I got bogged down by the third or fourth one in the series--it was a series of letters written by Anne to back home, and I just couldn't push through it. (Was that Anne of the Island or Anne of Windy Poplars?)

Then, as an adult, I tried again, starting with Anne of Green Gables, but it read like a mirror image of the miniseries, so I knew everything that would happen!

DebbieDee, can you give me any advice as to how to get back into them, maybe at a later point in the series? I'd love to find out what happens in the later books, but I need a jumping in point that isn't a quote-by-quote of the two miniseries that starred Megan Follows. Please help!

-- 04 Mar 2015, 18:03 --

Oh, and another thing: I don't think that the sentimentality was a fault! I was upset about Matthew too...
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I loved those books when I was younger. I didn't mind the letters at all, but then, I was something of a precocious kid and would devour any book set in front of me, regardless of how difficult it was. I don't think I cried at Matthew's death, but later on (I think it was the eighth book), a certain character died, and I started sobbing.

I'll have to find those books again and reread them sometime.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Aww I wish I grew up reading the books but ended up just seeing the movies when I was a kid. I should read the books as most books are way better than the movies. Either way though, Anne Shirley has a special place in my heart.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have never read them, but I have always wanted to. Someday I will get around to reading them.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Beth Davids
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Day Christ Died
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-davids.html
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Beth Davids »

I loved the series till Anne got married. Then the focus seemed to go off of her to others, and there wasnt enough spice in the story to keep it alive. However, after she had lots of children, the spice came back. I thoroughly enjoyed the last two books!
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, it's kinda like that with the Little House in the Big Woods books--some are great, others aren't.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved the 3 first books in the series and think they are the best of it. I didn't read the rest.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
allwritemel1967
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by allwritemel1967 »

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables - she reminds me of me! :D I read about 3 of the books - got them on my e-reader. I didn't know there was more to the story so I guess a trip to the book shop is in order ... :D
nina53
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina53.html

Post by nina53 »

This is definitely a classic series...Lucy Maude. Montgomery wrote many wonderful stories. ..Anne of Green Gables being some of her best..I love the books and I love the movies they made...thought they did an excellent job in staying true to the texts..If you love these I highly recommend you try some of her short stories...love them!
Wounderlandvisitor
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wounderlandvisitor.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wounderlandvisitor »

A series that every girl(and boy too) should read growing up. My single father read the first 5 books to me and my two older sisters. He always wanted us to have a female character that we could look up to, and we related to the wildness of Anne. It a great book to widen your vocabulary and get to grow up with the characters. Now I have of course gone back through and reread the books. I'm still completely in love with the whole series and can't wait to pass these books down.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That's a beautiful story, Wounderland. That's my kind of father!
SLKing

Post by SLKing »

Anne of Green Gables brings back so many memories as a child.
selenium_m

Post by selenium_m »

I've read the first two books in the series and I'm persuing the third. It is interesting to contrast a main character in Anne of Green Gables with what teens and young adults are reading nowadays. Somehow the perspective of childhood innocence is being lost as we progress through the decades.
Nicolnik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolnik.html

Post by Nicolnik »

These books are perfect for preteen girls and up. The books capture a time in the past that was adventurous yet innocent at the same time. I have the series in my classroom. It is a wonderful series that brings Anne from young girl into adulthood. The series always reminded me of the Little House on the Prairie series. I also loved the interaction between Anne and Gilbert.

Return to “Children's Books”