Is it selfish of Tris to crave victory or is it brave?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
athyvip
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athyvip.html

Re: Is it selfish of Tris to crave victory or is it brave?

Post by athyvip »

It's selfish, but it's also human nature. If I were to offer you a million dollars or homelessness, would you be selfish for choosing the million dollars? No. It would be a completely natural choice. In the same way, Tris' desire to succeed was completely natural.
unicorny07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicorny07.html

Post by unicorny07 »

I would say Tris was both brave and selfish. She was very brave to leave her home and enter a world she barely knew, but it was also selfish to just get up and leave her family for herself. Tris's friends do have the right to be jealous because making it through Dauntless basically meant life or death. You either get through initiation and become Dauntless, or you become faction less and risk starving to death. Everyone has to try to do what's best in that situation, so I would forgive their jealousy. Their jealousy is totally understandable.
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

No, it is not selfish of her she is as brave as they come! Everyone in that situation sort of needs to be looking out for themselves first and foremost because if they fall behind then they are done. Her 'friends' actions were unforgivable in my opinion because they meant what they did and you can't just apologize for those kinds of actions. I would never trust them again.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

I say its a little of both, it depends on which way you view things.
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
dememusicaddict
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dememusicaddict.html

Post by dememusicaddict »

It depends on your point of view... She was completly justified in my eyes, but in the eyes of the abnegation, I'm sure that there would be a different verdict.
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

I think it is technically selfish, but it is human nature to crave victory. I don't think it was brave, I just think it was completely natural, and in this instance, necessary. I also think it is natural for her friends to be jealous. They are fighting for their lives, the sense of belonging. Yes, I also think it is good to forgive their reactions. How can you fault people for wanting to live.
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

I think it's brave of her to still go for it despite the fact that she's out of her comfort zone and her upbringing did nothing to prepare her for surviving the dauntless initiation. She is surrounded by people who are stronger and far more aggressive than her and yet she didn't cower.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I don't think she is selfish. I think a big part of her bravery is that she is selfless. Like when she stood there instead of Al. Her best moments in the entire series are when she is trying to save someone else, or protect someone else. She is a consummate hero, and martyr. She puts herself in danger constantly to save others, yet she wants to survive more than anything. I think Tris is a very unique and deep character.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
Bookl0ver657
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookl0ver657.html

Post by Bookl0ver657 »

I think it is very brave of Tris to crave victory. She originally comes from a faction that is taught to be selfless. So, to crave victory would be completely against how she was brought up. In Dauntless, it is a fight for survival to remain in the faction. To remain in a faction and not be considered "factionless" is the ultimate goal. So, in my opinion, jealousy is a normal reaction for Tris's friends to feel. If I were Tris, I would be able to forgive them for their jealousy, but not for the way they handled their jealousy.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

Tris is just doing what everyone else is doing. So does that make them all selfish? I think that she's just being competitive, I mean she kind of has no choice.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I think it's a little bit of both. She's in a tough situation because victory for her means keeping her identity secret, and based on what she's going through I probably would have felt the same way. It was brave of her to even join Dauntless int he first place. As far as her friends reactions go, it is normal to be a little jealous if someone does better than you. However, if you get to the point where you are letting the jealousy interfere with your friendship, then that's where it can be wrong. I don't think anyone should let their friendships be destroyed over jealousy. If I were Tris, I would forgive them. Everybody makes mistakes, and where would we all be if nobody knows how to forgive?
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I think it is brave for Tris to even allow herself to crave victory. She is raised in a place that values selflessness, and she breaks out of that to make herself happy. She wants a victory and goes for it. She finally starts to become her own person and that is very, very brave.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I think she's being competitive but also self-perserving. She wants to win to get accepted by the faction. Dauntless is all about being the best you can be, she understands and has those same values in herself.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I think it's a little bit of both. I get wanting victory being brave-- because who doesn't, but it's also a little bit selfish. Wanting yourself to do really well at something will always be a bit selfish. It would be more selfless to want victory for everyone or for people other than yourself.

However, I think I would forgive my friends for acting that way towards me because that's just how I am. Ultimately, I might have acted the same so it's only fair.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

Obviously Tris wanted to succeed; it's human nature. I don't think it is selfish for her to want this. It is kind of brave for her to be the little girl from Abnegation that stood up and fought against all odds. Also, even though real friends would be happy for Tris at succeeding, I would forgive them for being upset; again, it's human nature to want the best for yourself.

-- 10 Apr 2015, 23:26 --

Obviously Tris wanted to succeed; it's human nature. I don't think it is selfish for her to want this. It is kind of brave for her to be the little girl from Abnegation that stood up and fought against all odds. Also, even though real friends would be happy for Tris at succeeding, I would forgive them for being upset; again, it's human nature to want the best for yourself.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”