Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Storyteller"

Discuss the August 2014 book of the month The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.

How do you rate The Storyteller?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
47%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
44%

Total votes: 57

Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Storyteller"

Post by Ryan »

I've never read anything by Jodi Picoult and judging from the comments this might be the only one I read. I'll get round to it ... eventually :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I have always enjoyed Jodi Picoult. I first picked up a book of hers years ago when I was working at my local library and thought that her writing was very powerful. I wasn't sure about this one though. I think that the subject matter was just a bit beyond her reach. This topic is very difficult to write about and it isn't for everyone. I'm not sure that she was fully able to grasp it with this book.
Ian63
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ian63 »

nice story...
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

To be hones, I didn't really care for it that much. I found it to be a little on the depressing side. The book was well written, and I definitely thought that Jodi Picoult did her homework. However, I just didn't care for the story line that much. From most of the comments that I read, it sounds like everyone else loved it, but I just wasn't getting into it for some reason. Maybe I just wasn't seeing what everyone else was seeing.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I loved this book. I'm a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and I think the way she can take any issue or controversial topic and turn it into something beautiful you can relate to is really special.

What I loved most about this book, and all of other Picoult's books, is that they really make you think. And I mean really think. I try and put myself in the character's shoes and think what I would do-- and half the time I have no idea. I think to be able to write a book like that takes some serious opinions because I can't write a book I don't understand or know what a person would do.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, along with any of Picoult's other books.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I used to love Jodi Picoult, but like others have mentioned, the way her books are written became too formulaic in my opinion. It seems like a lot of people are saying this book differs in tone from her previous books, so I might have to give it a try.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

This is my first Jodi Picoult book and if everything she writes is like this - I have indeed missed a lot!

Love the way she weaves the story and the little snippets of humour injected in it. She also develops her character in such a way that you really can't help but grow with them as you read each chapter.

I have gone through various emotions while reading this book and I cannot wait to experience them again - off to reading the rest of her books now :)
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
kayla1080
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Alice
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla1080.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by kayla1080 »

I had some nightmares when reading this book, but I kind of had an idea of what I was getting into. Overall I liked the plot twists and how Picoult wrapped it all together in a fascinating rendition of that era.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I have just started reading Picoult and each book amazes me with the detail and depth of character development. The Storyteller was particularly detailed, sometimes so much so it became hard to read. The retailing of experiences during Nazi reign were heartbreaking and disturbing, and due to Picoults amazing writing style, they were also vivid and unforgettable. overall the book was a page turner, beautifully written.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
baasil999
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baasil999.html

Post by baasil999 »

I have read this and it's a very nice book. I would recommend it and this is a very nice site :D :D :D

-- 23 Sep 2015, 22:16 --

The reason I didn't give 4 as a rating is because the author explains every detail of the book in length.
Staceylane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Staceylane »

I just could not get into this book.

-- 11 Jun 2016, 21:15 --

I normally love Jodi picoult but this book was just not as interesting as her other work
Samyann
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Samyann »

A Jodi Picoult novel, narrated by Mozhan Marno, Jennifer Ikeda, Edoardo Ballerini, Suzanne Toren, and Fred Berman. The Storyteller is just over 18 hours of listening in the audiobook format.

There are near 10,000 reviews on Amazon, you need not go far for a synopsis of plot.

No issues with narration, it’s fine.

These comments are directed to the overall impression of mixing a diabolical historical event still an open sore to survivors/descendants, and a mythical SciFi character. The Storyteller very typically Picoult, well written, a page turning mystery with considerable research, a vivid imagination, or a combination of both.

The story within the story is a part of the book I didn’t particularly like – it was extraneous to the heart of the tale – one of the darkest eras of humanity, the holocaust. That segment of the story devoted to modern day Nazi hunting and the memories of Minka through a ghetto, box cars, multiple concentration camps, multiple losses of family and friends, Nazi visceral brutality and genocide, etc., is a gripping tale. These segments are interrupted with another story however, the fictional tale of a vampire – Minka’s writings and link to sanity during her ordeal.

The overall story had me completely lost, initially, until I figured out that the vampire story was Minka’s writings. I had trouble grasping this; it was so bizarre and unrelated to the holocaust. Even Picoult’s effort to weave the vampire tale into a Nazi siblings relationship at the end of the book is a bit silly.

I’m torn with liking/recommending this book. I guess if you like the work of Picoult, you’ll like the book. The Storyteller isn’t the best holocaust book, nor is it the best vampire book – but it is a Picoult novel. Not her best, though.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I read this whole book in a day. It was tough and difficult to move through certain sections, but in a good way. I'm glad this book didn't shy away from the brutality of the subject. Too many stories gloss over the most difficult to stomach aspects of war. This book has left me with enough food for thought to last a good long while so I give it 4 out of 4 stars.
StephThyng
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephthyng.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by StephThyng »

S dot Lennon wrote:I gave this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I am a very big fan of Jodi Picoult mostly because she always has a story tell. I consider her to be a great writer and I love that she always chooses powerful and challenging topics. The Storyteller is no different. I recommend this book to people all the time but I definitely tell them in advance that this isnt a light read, it will definitely affect many emotionally and the imagery can be graphic at times. All of the characters were well developed and I was emotionally invested in everyone's story. I couldn't put this book down.
I don't think I could have put my thoughts into better words. I'm a huge Jodi fan and at first wasn't sure about reading this book. However, after getting through the first couple chapters, I couldn't put the book down. It captivates the reader and takes them on an unforgettable journey.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Angel610
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel610.html
Reading Device: B00JKCH4X0

Post by Angel610 »

I gave this book 4 stars because, despite the difficult subject matter, I found the book well written and researched. I've always found stories either in print or on film, fiction or non-fiction where the topic is the Holocaust hard to read/watch, but Jodi Picoult's characters, as usual, had me at "hello" :)

Return to “"The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult”