What ending of a book do you prefer

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Re: What ending of a book do you prefer

Post by mmandy38 »

darkhuntress wrote:I don't really care what kind of ending the book has, as long as it's not a cliff hanger ending. there is nothing that annoys me more the a cliff hanger ending.
Yes!!! I hate when I have to guess what is going to happen next.. but to answer the original question, I would PREFER happy but I don't want that if it doesn't fit in with the rest of the story.
maryjacqueline
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryjacqueline.html

Post by maryjacqueline »

A complete ending will be most preferred. An incomplete one is frustruating. The book should inspire one to grater places.
MHaswell15
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Bag Of Bones
Currently Reading: Justifiable Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhaswell15.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MHaswell15 »

Happy endings are good, but I don't grumble if a story goes the other way.
Some books kind of dictate that the ending be something other than sunshine & butterflies.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I love happy endings but sometimes a sad ending works for me also. It just depends on what kind of book I am reading. Some books aren't meant to have happy endings but they are just as great. A great example is "The Fault in our Stars" the ending was quite sad but, it was an amazing book and I loved it.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I definitely prefer a happier ending. I like to know that the characters have a good ending, and if its a romance novel, then i like to know that the main characters are going to be together. I hate it when characters leave or they are killed off.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I like an ending that I didn't see coming in certain genres. Shake it up, and don't let me read the first chapter to predict the ending.
Certainly a well defined ending. Personally, I don't mind the ending of a book. Scratch that-- I like couples to end on a happy note!
Ikram
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ikram »

I usually like happy endings but If the book irritated me and i did not like it then I don't really care about its ending. :)
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Cliffhangers -- these are A-endings for me (in novels and movies) and I love them!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
ldsrsc

Post by ldsrsc »

Either one, as long as it makes sense. I HATE endings that are just plain silly or unrealistic given the rest of the story. "My Sister's Keeper," I'm looking at you!
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

Happy! In my opinion the world can be a pretty sad place as it is. So when I read a book or watch a movie, I want a happy ending.
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
tincher28
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tincher28.html

Post by tincher28 »

Whatever better fits the story/situation. I'm not one of those people who have to have a happily ever after. Sometimes life is sad, and I want that realistic ending reflected at times as well.
RobC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robc.html

Post by RobC »

Ideally, a bitter-sweet ending. Jewish writers are good at creating that mood.

Otherwise, I like stories which do not conclude, but just stop. Tolkien once wrote an essay about writing fantasy fiction, and he recommended this way of doing a story. Life began long before the story begins, and life will continue on after the story ends.

Some classic novels would have been improved if they had been written that way. Huckleberry Finn, for example, where the plot lines are neatly tied up, in the best Victorian fashion. It would have been better if Twain had just stopped telling the story at some point. Another which could be improved this way is Rudyard Kipling's Kim. Like Huckleberry, a magnificent work, with the glow of genius about it--apart from its conventional ending. It's best to stop reading these novels a chapter or two before the end.

Chekhov once recommended that when you write a short story, when you have finished it, you chop off the beginning and the end.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Race For the Roses by Lauraine Snelling ended exactly the way a good book should end. It was a happy and inspiring story. The characters had a happy ending, and It was just everything I like in a book. For anyone who is looking for a fun and happy love story, I would highly recommend this book.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I usually like the ending of the book to evoke a mix of emotions. I like it to be happy, but I don't want it to be a cheesy or predictable ending. I also want it to have a hint of sadness in it, for instance if someone died or another disaster, but I do not want it to be depressing. It also depends on the type of book. If it is a part of an adventure or mystery story I like it to end on a cliff-hanger.
jackblack360
Favorite Author: Too many

Post by jackblack360 »

I prefer a happy ending, but a sad one tends to make an impact on me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”