Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
fhs456
Bookshelf Size: 0

Stephen King

Post by fhs456 »

Any King Readers out there? What is your favorite King book/series? Mine is the Dark Tower Series.
Dori

Post by Dori »

I haven't read any of his books, but I've heard they are good. But I also have heard otherwise too.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
bibliolatrist

Post by bibliolatrist »

fhs456 wrote:Any King Readers out there? What is your favorite King book/series? Mine is the Dark Tower Series.
Mine too - and I really liked how it ended :D
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

My favorite is The Shining. I liked it much more than the Kubrick/Nicholson movie. I also loved The Long Walk, Christine and Gerald's Game. Gerald's Game gave me nightmares! *shivers*
drive

Post by drive »

Yes, I am a Stephen King fan. My favorite is eyes of fire (in Dutch ogen van vuur). I don't read his books in English now. It is too difficult for me and I am too bad in English too understand his books. Then I can search for lots of words and I don't have the patience for that.
Rebeca Darklight

Post by Rebeca Darklight »

I hope you get to read them in English drive. I have read them in both English and Spanish, and even if the translations are good, the original language is much better, you get King's point across easier. But I understand your problem, that happened to me some years ago, but with each new book it gets easier and easier. Keep trying.

I like his short stories collections, like Nightmares and Dreamscapes. I like Rose Madder, the Four Seasons novellas and The Green Mile.
Be nice to me! English is not my native language. :)
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

I haven't started his Dark Tower series yet, but I have them on my bookshelf. I loved The Long Walk, It, and Insomnia. I wasn't that impressed with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Even though I'm not a fan of that book, I have a goal of owning every King book ever published. That being the case, I own the hardback copy of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon as well as the pop up book edition. I'm such a dork. :oops:
Rebeca Darklight

High five Rory! Same here :oops: hahaha.

I hated The Girl who loved Tom Gordon and I have the paperback version, same with Dreamcatcher... I want to own all his books in the future, even if I haven't liked them when I have read some part of them in a bookstore or when someone has lend them to me.

(Are you a GG fan? I actually felt sad when I knew this was the last season. I mean, sad... This is the first time this has happened to me with a tv series. It's the only one I watch every week, like clockwork. I actually sit to watch it, something I never do [I?m always doing something else when I have the TV on]. I can stop watching the other series I sometimes watch right this second and never watch an episode again, I truly don't care, but I really liked GG. I never realized it until I knew about its cancellation and my subconscious obsession with the series came to the surface. Same happened to me with Madonna when I came to college. I never thought of myself as her fan, until I gathered all my favorite CDs to bring with me and saw I had every single one of hers, hahaha.)
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

Actually, I've only seen a handful of Gilmore Girls episodes. The episode I saw were good, I just never watched it regularly. The reason for my name is because friends, classmates, and LOTS of random strangers have told me I look like Rory Gilmore. It became so common that I decided to create an e-mail address using the name "notrorygilmore". Since then I've used the name for a lot of websites. A lot of my friends own GG on DVD so I'll probably see more episodes of the show in the future. The majority of them were not happy with the Rory/Logan situation in the second to last episode.
Rebeca Darklight

In your picture you do look a lot like Rory Gilmore.

I think you would like the series because they talk about books a lot, especially in the seasons 1 - 3. I also liked all the oscure pop culture references and indie music in the episodes. That changed in the last seasons, but it was still there.

Rory became annoying in seasons 5 and 6 but she improved greatly in season 7. Some other things happened in season 6 that I disliked terribly, but still it was my favorite series ever.

About King, hehehe, I have read that a lot of people don't like his last books. I have liked them the same. I liked Cell very much. What about the rest of you? Do you prefer the old King?
fhs456

Post by fhs456 »

I have read almost everything he has written. Very few have I found that I didn't like. I agree, The Girl who loved Tom Gordon was not good. The Cell was excellent. The Stationary Bike which is another knew one was terrible, I thought.
Jolly_Roger

Post by Jolly_Roger »

I really enjoyed It, definitely one of his best. The very beginning really scared the daylights out of me, especially with what happened to Georgie. :shock: For the length of it, my attention was held throughout the entire reading experience. Of his books that I've read, I would have to say that it's the best. I also liked Cell quite a bit. It had a great beginning. Who doesn't appreciate a hot dog stand, cars careening out of control, not to mention people attacking one another in a zombie like haze? :lol: The ending was a bit far-fetched for me, I don't believe that he took a lot of time to develop it. There is only so long that the whole zombie-schtick can be drawn out. When the group set out on the road is when he reached "done" in that regard. :roll: That was the only bad part of the book. I also read an enjoyed Cujo, eventhough he killed off the young boy in the end. King has a way of just turning the knife so that you don't see a given thing coming-that was a great example of how he did that yet again IMHO.

I have also read The Langoliers and The Shawshank Redemption[/] I'm also currently enjoy Blaze which he wrote under the name of Richard Bachman. The best part of it is the description of how Blaze peers into the sleeping couple's room while he is climbing up the ladder to kidnap their child. :shock: Not a bad read at all, hope to have it done later tonight.
fhs456

Post by fhs456 »

Jolly_Roger wrote: I'm also currently enjoy Blaze which he wrote under the name of Richard Bachman. The best part of it is the description of how Blaze peers into the sleeping couple's room while he is climbing up the ladder to kidnap their child. :shock: Not a bad read at all, hope to have it done later tonight.
I'll have to look this one up. Has he written any others under Richard Bachman?
bibliolatrist

Post by bibliolatrist »

Thinner was RB, right? If so, I enjoyed that one a lot, but that was a few years ago that I read it.

I just purchased Bag of Bones, although I haven't received it yet. I heard from several sources that's one of his best.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

fhs456 wrote:Any King Readers out there? What is your favorite King book/series?
The Shining
Pet Sematary
Night Shift

I'm a huge fan. Read almost all his works but those would have to be my favorite 3. Never read any of the Gunslinger or Dark Tower series.

"People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them that I have the heart of a small boy -- and I keep it in a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
My name? Why, just call me God - God the embryo.

Return to “Discuss Authors”