Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Club!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Clu

Post by Scott »

Perhaps a 'bump to top' option on one's own 'want to read' shelf would be helpful. It could be sorted by default such that the oldest added books are at the top, and the newest added books are at the bottom (i.e. listed in the order they were put on there), but that one can bump any book to the top if they are interested in reading it sooner rather than later.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A 'bump to top' would be a great option!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

gali wrote:A 'bump to top' would be a great option!
Agreed! :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Indeed, it could allow one to use the 'want to read' list as an ordered list of what they want to read when.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

gali

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:Indeed, it could allow one to use the 'want to read' list as an ordered list of what they want to read when.
:handgestures-thumbup:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

That sounds like a good idea!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I have added a new feature to Bookshelves. I call it a "Mass Adder". It lets a member add multiple books at once by typing them in or copying and pasting them from a text list somewhere. Click here to use it.

Try it out and let me know how it works.

Please also let me know if the instructions seem clear.

gali

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:I have added a new feature to Bookshelves. I call it a "Mass Adder". It lets a member add multiple books at once by typing them in or copying and pasting them from a text list somewhere. Click here to use it.

Try it out and let me know how it works.

Please also let me know if the instructions seem clear.
I tried it and it works fine! :)

-- February 8th, 2015, 6:38 am --

A suggestion; when we use the Mass Adder, can you add the option to enter the genre as well?
A retired Admin/Mod

Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Good idea, gali. That would only work if they're all the same genre, though. Otherwise, you'd have to do them all individually.

I also tried the mass adder and it works very well. Great idea, Scott! :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
gali

Post by gali »

ryanj1 wrote:Good idea, gali. That would only work if they're all the same genre, though. Otherwise, you'd have to do them all individually.
Of course :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I am sure I can do something for that.

The problem is that even though the member is typing a list of books, I programmed the software to cross-check the database for each book to connect it to a book that is already in the database if it is already on the site or add it if it is not. Since genre is not necessarily absolute, it may have already been set for any given book.

The solution might be to ignore the genre field if the book is already on the site with a different genre. Alternatively, I could program the software to generate an automatic report of the genre so a moderator could verify which genre best describes the book.

-- 08 Feb 2015 02:58 pm --

Well do you usually find you already have the books sorted by genre before you submit them, such that you want to choose a genre and 'mass add' a bunch of books only from that genre? Or are you looking to add them one-by-one but on a single screen rather than having to navigate to each book's page?

If the latter, what might be even more helpful than changing the mass-adder would be to create a new page for mass-adding genres to books. I am thinking of a page that would on one single page list all the books from one's own shelves that do not have a genre with a selection box to select the genre for each and then submit the form. In fact, the same thing could be done with release year.

This re-raises the issue of whether or not there is other important meta-data besides genre and release date that members might like included not only on the individual pages for books but also for sorting and searching purposes. Adding in any other meta data if desired now would ensure it is properly included in these other new tools.

Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Perhaps we could create a search system which would allow users to look for specific themes and subjects within books? For example, if a user attaches keywords to a particular book -- let's say Romeo and Juliet, using the words "tragedy", "love" and "suicide" -- then a user could use those terms to narrow down their search. This would also create opportunities for members to search for something different to read but within a particular set of interests and may be useful now that the volume of books added to the database is quickly increasing. This may need some tweaks but it might prove useful for some members, especially in conjunction with the other new features :)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ryanj1 wrote:Perhaps we could create a search system which would allow users to look for specific themes and subjects within books? For example, if a user attaches keywords to a particular book -- let's say Romeo and Juliet, using the words "tragedy", "love" and "suicide" -- then a user could use those terms to narrow down their search. This would also create opportunities for members to search for something different to read but within a particular set of interests and may be useful now that the volume of books added to the database is quickly increasing. This may need some tweaks but it might prove useful for some members, especially in conjunction with the other new features :)
Key-words would be an interesting addition :eusa-think:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

A small box to affix "BC" or "AD" to publication dates would be very useful. They might also be utilized as search criteria :)
gali

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:-- 08 Feb 2015 02:58 pm --

Well do you usually find you already have the books sorted by genre before you submit them, such that you want to choose a genre and 'mass add' a bunch of books only from that genre? Or are you looking to add them one-by-one but on a single screen If the latter, what might be even more helpful than changing the mass-adder would be to create a new page for mass-adding genres to books. I am thinking of a page that would on one single page list all the books from one's own shelves that do not have a genre with a selection box to select the genre for each and then submit the form. In fact, the same thing could be done with release year.

This re-raises the issue of whether or not there is other important meta-data besides genre and release date that rather than having to navigate to each book's page?

members might like included not only on the individual pages for books but also for sorting and searching purposes. Adding in any other meta data if desired now would ensure it is properly included in these other new tools.
When I use the "mass add", I add books by the same genre.

I like your second idea, adding books one-by-one on a single screen rather than having to navigate to each book's page.
It will make it easier to add many books at once and less tiresome.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”