R.L. Stine

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Re: R.L. Stine

Post by Anacoana »

I had all of the Goosebumps books! I haven't read any of his adult stuff, but I remember loving those things.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I loved Goosebumps books so much when I was little!! It's funny to think about how terrified I was by some of them.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

You have no idea how excited I was to find these bad boys at the second-hand store near my house.

Increases my motivation for learning Japanese. Though they honestly don't look that difficult, if I take my time. 8)
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

I absolutely love R.L.Stine. First, I must say I admire his Goosebumps books because that's how I began on my journey to loving all horror-related reading. I quickly moved on to his FEAR street books in highschool. Those I would not recommend to small children. They can be quite gruesome.

Does anyone remember the movie adaptation to his Good Ghouls Gone Bad story? It aired on ABC Family several years ago and Christoper Lloyd made an appearance. I have been searching for this movie everywhere and can't seem to find it. Can anyone correct me on the title?

-- 21 Dec 2014, 11:30 --
ALynnPowers wrote:You have no idea how excited I was to find these bad boys at the second-hand store near my house.

Increases my motivation for learning Japanese. Though they honestly don't look that difficult, if I take my time. 8)
That looks amazing. Lucky find!
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I read things from this author and really appreciated that it was easy to understand when I was in middle school but the writing is appropriate for all ages. When I was reading Goosebumps and other books similar I really enjoyed it.
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

jillyshub52+ wrote:I absolutely love R.L.Stine. First, I must say I admire his Goosebumps books because that's how I began on my journey to loving all horror-related reading. I quickly moved on to his FEAR street books in highschool. Those I would not recommend to small children. They can be quite gruesome.

Does anyone remember the movie adaptation to his Good Ghouls Gone Bad story? It aired on ABC Family several years ago and Christoper Lloyd made an appearance. I have been searching for this movie everywhere and can't seem to find it. Can anyone correct me on the title?
I forgot all abotu the Fear Street books! My local library didn't have a big collection of those, but they had a lot of books by Diane Hoh, which were similar, so I read those instead. Man, now I want to read all of this books again!
superbookgirl1989

Post by superbookgirl1989 »

Wow, his name alone brings back childhood memories. I think anyone born around 85-90 read one of his books. My favorite was Bad hare day.
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

ALynnPowers wrote:
jillyshub52+ wrote:I absolutely love R.L.Stine. First, I must say I admire his Goosebumps books because that's how I began on my journey to loving all horror-related reading. I quickly moved on to his FEAR street books in highschool. Those I would not recommend to small children. They can be quite gruesome.

I forgot all abotu the Fear Street books! My local library didn't have a big collection of those, but they had a lot of books by Diane Hoh, which were similar, so I read those instead. Man, now I want to read all of this books again!
Me too! It brings back so many fond (and creepy) memories. I've never heard of Diane Hoh though. I'm assuming she writes similar about similar topics that R.L. Stine writes about?
hollynewhouse
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollynewhouse.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hollynewhouse »

I absolutely love RL Stine books and have read every single one he has ever published and have them in my library as well now that my children are getting to the age of enjoying them as well!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

jillyshub52+ wrote:
Me too! It brings back so many fond (and creepy) memories. I've never heard of Diane Hoh though. I'm assuming she writes similar about similar topics that R.L. Stine writes about?
Diane Hoh wrote some horror books. The ones I am most familiar with are called the Nightmare Hall series. They were all about college students, as far as I can remember. Some super awesome and creepy ones in there! And no need to read them in order, I recall.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I was a huge R L Stine fan when i was younger but not so much for the Goosebumps series as the Point Horror series, not many people have mentioned that. I was raised on the Point Horror books, used to save all my pocket money to buy the latest books, and R L Stine wrote the Baby Sitter series which was tense and gripping back in the day. I read one of his Fear Street books as well, The Wrong Number, but i didnt rate it as highly as Point Horror.
You only live once.....so live!
J0ahna

Post by J0ahna »

I loved Goosebumps in primary school. I read them all voraciously. I am pretty sure it was the first series that I got hooked on. I found it more exciting, suspenseful, imaginative and entertaining more than scary (although I hated the ones with bad endings, but that was the gamble.) My favourite one was "How I Got My Shrunken Head." I wanted a shrunken head after that.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I can remember checking out these books at my school library when I was young. I always liked them!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

When I was in middle school I was really into the Fear Street books. They were really my introduction into horror. I never read any of the Goosebumps books, I think that I was too old for them before they really came out.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Crystal P
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystal-p.html

Post by Crystal P »

I read Goosebumps and learned to read with them. I am forever grateful that I was provided with something that made me passionate for reading. His teenage books were pretty good as well for those who feel they have outgrown Goosebumps. I would love to read his adult book to see how it is different from his juvenile books.

Return to “Discuss Authors”