Official Review: Wonderboy by Tom Conyers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Wonderboy by Tom Conyers

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wonderboy" by Tom Conyers.]
Book Cover for 2621
Share This Review

"Wonderboy" by Tom Conyers is a touching portrayal of a gifted boy finding his significance and self-confidence.

The book has resonated in my heart a long time after I finished reading it. The book encompasses two main languages: the language of love and the language of music. Set in Australia in the mid-80s, "Wonderboy" is a coming of age story that centers on the theme of self- fulfillment and happiness. The message that one should never give up his dreams and ambitions, no matter what obstacles life puts in his way, comes through loud and clear.

This is the story of Jack, a gifted eleven years old kid, who discovers the capability of music to brighten up the day. Jack is a shy, timid, dreamy and lonely boy who finds refuge in his beautiful drawings and his make-believe world. Just like his dad, Daniel, Jack has trouble making friends and he watches the world from the sidelines. Jack and his older brother Simon don't get along. Jack is a gifted artist but his mother, Jean, doesn't encourage his drawing, as she thinks they are a waste of time. In fact, Jean doesn't understand Jack at all. She clearly prefers his older brother over him and supports his chosen sport endeavors. Luckily, Jack has got his father on his team.

Things start to get lively when Juliet, a world-renowned opera singer, and her daughter, Mel, come back to the sleepy town of Miller’s Creek and move to the boarded up farm next door. Jack finds in Mel a kindred soul and they become inseparable. They share an almost mystical connection that binds their threads of lives, with the inspiring encouragement of their new teacher, Rush.

Jack’s mother, Jean, doesn't approve of the blooming friendship. Rumors about steamy affairs and inappropriate conduct are abounded and wagging tongues threaten to put a stop to their little piece of paradise. It is up to Jack to bring a change to the stagnant town, as well as to put a stop to the vicious rumors flying around.

The reader is pulled into the life of Jack and his friends and quickly wrapped up in their lives. It isn't a very intense action-packed plot, but it is a very emotional ride. I got totally immersed in the book and was lost in its world. The author introduces readers to a cast of rich, believable characters which come to life with the stroke of a pen. The characters leap out of the page as real flesh and blood people, they are that well fleshed out. I got to know the characters and what they went through mattered to me.

Kudos to the author for a well written book! The writing style was extremely pleasant to read and easy to follow. Each scene was vividly described and memorable. Relationships gone awry, love lost and found and the healing powers of music, all those elements are just a small portion of this enhancing book. The ending caught me by surprise and took my breath away. I did not see that one coming.

I greatly enjoyed the book and found it a great read. It was very refreshing to read a well edited book and without sex scenes to boot. The premise was sound, the execution supreme and the characters endearing and realistic to boot. I found the book a brilliant read, so I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars! The book is of the young-adult genre and as such gears toward the young adult audience, but will appeal to adults as well. I highly recommend this book!

Buy "Wonderboy" on Amazon
Buy "Wonderboy" on Barnes and Noble
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Lovely review, gali - it sounds like a good read
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali

Post by gali »

Fran wrote:Lovely review, gali - it sounds like a good read
Thank you and it is. :)

Sorry for the late respond, but I wasn't sure if it is ok to answer in the other forum. :oops:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tom »

Thanks for the lovely review, Gali.
Always hard to get the word out when there are so many books! Hopefully this sends a few readers to 'Wonderboy.'
Warm Regards
Tom
gali

Post by gali »

tom wrote:Thanks for the lovely review, Gali.
Always hard to get the word out when there are so many books! Hopefully this sends a few readers to 'Wonderboy.'
Warm Regards
Tom
Thank you. I really enjoyed reading your book.

Good luck with it! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Wonderful review! This looks like a great book! I'm going to have to check it out! :)
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
gali

Post by gali »

Paliden wrote:Wonderful review! This looks like a great book! I'm going to have to check it out! :)
Thank you for your kind words. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Awesome review. Totally gonna check this out. *adds to reading list* :D
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
gali

Post by gali »

Skillian wrote:Awesome review. Totally gonna check this out. *adds to reading list* :D
Thank you :oops:
A retired Admin/Mod

TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Wonderboy, sounds like an enchanting read. I will definitely recommend this book to several young adults whom I know will truly enjoy this book. It's nice to be able to read a nice wholesome book. It seems this book is one everyone can enjoy. Great review.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
gali

Post by gali »

TammyO wrote:Wonderboy, sounds like an enchanting read. I will definitely recommend this book to several young adults whom I know will truly enjoy this book. It's nice to be able to read a nice wholesome book. It seems this book is one everyone can enjoy. Great review.
Thank you and it is. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

sboykin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sboykin »

Sounds like my kind of story. Thank you for the well put, and thoughtful review. I will definitely be reading it, and passing it along to my sons.

-Scott
gali

Post by gali »

sboykin wrote:Sounds like my kind of story. Thank you for the well put, and thoughtful review. I will definitely be reading it, and passing it along to my sons.

-Scott
Thank you for your kind words. Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a nice review, gali. I don't generally read YA, but the musical element makes this a little more appealing to me. I won't put this at the top of my TBR list, but I won't eliminate it either. Well done! :)
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
gali

Post by gali »

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a nice review, gali. I don't generally read YA, but the musical element makes this a little more appealing to me. I won't put this at the top of my TBR list, but I won't eliminate it either. Well done! :)
Thank you for your kind words. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”