What do you like most about book reviewing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tamara_mc41
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Re: What do you like most about book reviewing?

Post by tamara_mc41 »

There is so much I enjoy about reviewing books.
I love that in some cases I get to read a book before any one else. the fact that some one is trusting you with there hard work is such a boost for me. I like that I get to express my opinion of the book I read and be heard. weather it's positive or negative, I love that when I start a review I get to hear other peoples opinions on the book as well.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I like posting reviews for books that don't seem to be getting the attention they deserve.
I don't think I could ever review for this site (I'm far too picky and would probably never find a book to review :lol: ) but I praise everyone who can.
I just like supporting the authors who give me so much enjoyment! An honest review is the least I can do .
That and talking up the ones I really like! :wink:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

One of the side benefits of reviewing books has been to establish a friendship with some of the authors of very good books, those especially who are as yet unknown. I've made some great e-pals this way.

A small side "wicked pleasure" to reviewing particularly bad books is that I can write a fairly snarky and sarcastic review, not be too rampant but still poke fun at a bad book and get a smile from the readers of the reviews accordingly.

But ya gotta be careful. I don't remember whether I mentioned this before, but some years ago when I was living in El Paso I wrote book & movie reviews for the El Paso Times. And I wrote a particularly sarcastic review of a particularly awful mystery book based in Dallas. When the author read the review he was so angry that he phoned the paper and threatened to fly down to El Paso and kick my tail!

My reaction was "Come on!" but my editor had a better grasp of things and got the author calmed down, finally persuading him that reacting angrily to bad reviews was not a good move, author-wise.

Incidentally, the book got similar other reviews and quickly tanked. It was awful, honest.

But my review got rave reviews, ha ha.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:Is anyone going to be honest and just say the real reason they like book reviewing? Free books? Anyone? 8)
I tease...
As was said above, free books are just a nice side benefit. I review my own books as well. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote:I review my own books as well. 8)
Isn't that self promotion?
I kid, I jest, I joke! :lol:
Sorry couldn't help it :wink: 8)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

Graverobber wrote:
gali wrote:I review my own books as well. 8)
Isn't that self promotion?
I kid, I jest, I joke! :lol:
Sorry couldn't help it :wink: 8)
lol :lol:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

gali wrote: As was said above, free books are just a nice side benefit. I review my own books as well. 8)
Well, reviewing your own book is a bit, er, self-aggrandizing and may involve navel-gazing and other personalized pursuits (ha ha)

Incidentally, with my recently completed 3rd mystery novel, I "finished" the book in late March but spent until September "really finishing" it, endlessly tweaking for word choice and slight changes, and scouring for typos (tpyos?) and finally declared it "done" although I must admit I've restrained from self-reviewing.

Naturally, like any new author, I've fantasized about reviews from major sources, acclaim and awards and lotsa dough resulting from the terrific reception of this still-unsold novel. But hey, a guy can hope, eh?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

suegibson4 wrote:I learn a lot about writing while reviewing. While I'm dissecting another author's work, I can't help but think about my own work in progress. Many times while I'm pointing out how a particular area of an author's work affected me, I realize how I might improve my own.
I really agree with this. It definitely helps my writing and especially my own criticism of other peoples work puts my own work in a different light, which is handy in so many ways.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Foremost, I love writing reviews because I get to help authors promote and improve their works. I also enjoy being able to share books with other bibliophiles, as I don't get many opportunities to discuss books in my everyday life. Oh yes, and there's the added benefit of being able to strengthen my own writing skills. :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali

Post by gali »

moderntimes wrote:
gali wrote: As was said above, free books are just a nice side benefit. I review my own books as well. 8)
Well, reviewing your own book is a bit, er, self-aggrandizing and may involve navel-gazing and other personalized pursuits (ha ha)

Incidentally, with my recently completed 3rd mystery novel, I "finished" the book in late March but spent until September "really finishing" it, endlessly tweaking for word choice and slight changes, and scouring for typos (tpyos?) and finally declared it "done" although I must admit I've restrained from self-reviewing.

Naturally, like any new author, I've fantasized about reviews from major sources, acclaim and awards and lotsa dough resulting from the terrific reception of this still-unsold novel. But hey, a guy can hope, eh?
I meant books that I have bought of course. :wink:

To clarify further, I didn't write books nor do I plan to. 8)

Good luck with your book! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

ALynnPowers wrote:I like writing reviews for books that don't have a lot of reviews yet. From a writer's point of view, I know how exciting it is to get a review from a "stranger" as opposed to a family member or friend, so I love knowing that I am one of the first to help them out on their path to becoming a successful author.
Alynn - I have to agree. It is nice to get some feedback from someone who doesn't have a vested interest in a relationship with you. Someone you feel that can be honest and tell you their true opinion without them feeling they are letting you down or perhaps even overly criticizing your writing.

I have to say that I enjoy several things about reviewing a book and some of them are not easy to enumerate. For example I enjoy the fact that I feel a type of communion with the author and although I don't feel compelled to like the work I do want the author to succeed. I also enjoy discovering new authors who I may have never heard of or even tried without reviewing.

Most of all I enjoy the stories and worlds that I get to discover as these writers put their ideas on paper and become friends with these characters I previously didn't even know.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I am given importance, my opinion will be appreciated and maybe implemented. That gives a nice feeling :D

Besides, I love reading about new things, topics, and how they are different from others.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

The thing I like about writing reviews is that I can tell MY honest opinion about it to the world.If I thinks it's the best book ever I can shout it out for everyone to read it. If it's the worst book ever I can shout out a warning to not waste your time on it.So that's what I like about it.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I like the mode my brain is in when I know I am reading a book for review. It makes it even more enjoyable because I tap into that engagement of details, etc. Versus just going into a relaxed easy reading mindset. It also gives the whole experience more purpose... like I can help readers and authors by giving constructive criticism when necessary, give the book more exposure, etc. I have found that no matter how positive or negative... a good reviewer ultimately brings more readers. I know I have read negative reviews only to find reasons to read it, because I know the things the reviewer doesn't like... I do like.

Then also it helps me in my own writing...seeing what other's do well and where they make mistakes. It also just gives me a better eye for change when going back over my work while rewriting.

Fundamentally though... I like getting a free book and finding new authors to follow. hehehe.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Skillian wrote:I like the mode my brain is in when I know I am reading a book for review. It makes it even more enjoyable because I tap into that engagement of details, etc. Versus just going into a relaxed easy reading mindset. It also gives the whole experience more purpose... like I can help readers and authors by giving constructive criticism when necessary, give the book more exposure, etc. I have found that no matter how positive or negative... a good reviewer ultimately brings more readers. I know I have read negative reviews only to find reasons to read it, because I know the things the reviewer doesn't like... I do like.

Then also it helps me in my own writing...seeing what other's do well and where they make mistakes. It also just gives me a better eye for change when going back over my work while rewriting.

Fundamentally though... I like getting a free book and finding new authors to follow. hehehe.
Can I just be lazy and ditto everything you said. Cuz it's all true, my friend! 8)

Return to “Writing Discussion”