How did your parents/other adult help you become a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Re: How did your parents/other adult help you become a reade

Post by cyndiha11 »

My grandmother was a huge influence in my reading as a child. She would take me to the library all the time while my mother worked during the week, and let me choose which books I wanted to read. She also loved to play Scrabble. Anyone else? Because of her love for this game, we spent many, many afternoons together, looking up different words in the dictionary. To this day, we cannot pull out the Scrabble board without also pulling out the dictionary ;)

I have such great memories with her :)
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Post by craftshley »

I honestly don't remember learning how to read. It just sort of happened at some point. I do remember that my parents always took me to the library or bookstore and heartily supported my need for new books. I was known to take out the maximum number of books, which was something around fifty books on one card.

-- 14 Oct 2014, 22:22 --

I honestly don't remember learning how to read. It just sort of happened at some point. I do remember that my parents always took me to the library or bookstore and heartily supported my need for new books. I was known to take out the maximum number of books, which was something around fifty books on one card.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
rd7ht
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rd7ht.html

Post by rd7ht »

I didn't have much encouragement as a child. My reading began because of the Pizza Hut book-it program, I just wanted to play when I got home from school and my parents never really checked if I had homework. My first grade teacher actually told my mom that she thought I was mentally handicapped and would never learn to read. I'm glad I didn't have many bad teachers like her. Anyway, I loved pizza and was willing to work for it, and eventually I started reading just for the enjoyment of the book.
rd7ht

Post by rd7ht »

I didn't have much encouragement as a child. My reading began because of the Pizza Hut book-it program, I just wanted to play when I got home from school and my parents never really checked if I had homework. My first grade teacher actually told my mom that she thought I was mentally handicapped and would never learn to read. I'm glad I didn't have many bad teachers like her. Anyway, I loved pizza and was willing to work for it, and eventually I started reading just for the enjoyment of the book.
rd7ht

Post by rd7ht »

It was the Book-it program at school that got me started. I just wanted to play when I got home from school, but pizza was something I was willing to work for.
Last edited by rd7ht on 14 Oct 2014, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

when i was a kid my mother would read books. not to me, like my father did. he use to read me and my sister books before we went to bed. Stories like charlie and the chocolate factory and the orphan train books. i loved it. guess i just love to be captured in a good story.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
Greeneyedphotogirl79
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: 1984
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedphotogirl79.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Greeneyedphotogirl79 »

Sadly, neither parent helped me become a reader. It just came naturally to me, I suppose, just like cooking. I, on the other hand, hope that my reading constantly will encourage my child to be an avid reader someday.
cyndiha11

Post by cyndiha11 »

Greeneyedphotogirl79 wrote:Sadly, neither parent helped me become a reader. It just came naturally to me, I suppose, just like cooking. I, on the other hand, hope that my reading constantly will encourage my child to be an avid reader someday.
I wish that cooking had come naturally to me :oops:
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I don't remember my parents reading to me. My dad did not read. My mother was always reading and we went to the library often. My brothers we much older than me 12 and 18 years older. So, I was bored a lot. Not many channels on TV and no remote control, no computers which was a good thing. So I would read to pass the time and I loved it.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I would love to come across someone who has a story like, "My parents just slapped me in the head with books until I broke down and read them." But I doubt that would happen.
cyndiha11

Post by cyndiha11 »

rd7ht wrote:I didn't have much encouragement as a child. My reading began because of the Pizza Hut book-it program, I just wanted to play when I got home from school and my parents never really checked if I had homework. My first grade teacher actually told my mom that she thought I was mentally handicapped and would never learn to read. I'm glad I didn't have many bad teachers like her. Anyway, I loved pizza and was willing to work for it, and eventually I started reading just for the enjoyment of the book.
That is really awesome. I too would have read books for pizza :wink:
catzkc

Post by catzkc »

My parents read to both of us as babies/little kids. My dad was also a very big reader. My mom, not so much, but I think she's a wannabe, so she always encouraged that in us. Every Birthday and Christmas, they made sure at least one of the gifts was a book. We also had a set of Encyclopedia's at home. It wasn't unusual for me, especially during summer, to go pick out a letter and read it. TV watching was strictly limited - none on school nights, except the news. Also, one of my favorite memories during Jr. high was some days during the summer my mother would come home during her lunch break to pick me up and take me to the library. Her job was just down the street, so I would have the entire afternoon to myself there!
JennaNicole
Favorite Author: C.J. Redwine
Favorite Book: Defiance [trilogy]
Currently Reading: The Giver Quartet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennanicole.html

Post by JennaNicole »

My mom and grandma always read to me, and my grandma quizzed me on words between one and two years old. I was memorizing easy words at first, then they got progressively harder as I got older. Then she'd give me treats as I memorized words and I remember being so proud of myself and I always loved (still do!) to show off and reading was a great way to do that. Since then I've become attached.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

My father used to tell me and my sister folktales before we went to bed and I remember how fascinated I was with those characters, the magic, etc. Guess that's when my addiction to stories started, but I didn't start reading 'books' until I picked up a kids magazine in one of my cousin's house.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
Archie1791
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

My mom loves to read and She gave me this habbit at quite early. I read my first novel at the age of "three" with my mom. i used to read ten pages or more daily as mom says. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”