When Ideas Come at the Wrong Time

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
krobidoux
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: When Ideas Come at the Wrong Time

Post by krobidoux »

This happens to me often at night. Problem being is I am going to bed and can't take pen and paper or my computer with me to bed. So I lay in bed running the story through my head and hoping that I will remember everything I came up with the next morning.
leanndaniel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanndaniel.html

Post by leanndaniel »

Most of the time when I get a great idea, I'm doing the most random things. But I almost always have my notebook on me so it isn't a problem.
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

Yes! Happens to me all the time, so I always make sure to have a notebook with me at all times, just in case an idea for a novel comes to me. A phone or digital device will suffice if all else fails.
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

I feel this is an interesting thread. As it gives perspective, from a writers point, on the times of day when the right side of the brain seems to be most active. After readign through the threads, it seems late at night or when you are doing a menial task that your mind isnt on any random thought. Va'la'!! The brain waves start turning and the words begin to flow.. Dang it, Where is my writing pad??

Erich
MaryB
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryb.html

Post by MaryB »

The wrong time is in the shower - having a notepad or computer isn't feasible. Often my thoughts jump around so much, I've lost half the idea by the time I get out and dried off enough to write it down.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Worst timing ever? I was in the exam room during my finals and I had ideas hitting me left and right. I wanted to write it down before I lose them but the only thing I had was my exam paper and the examiner sure as hell wasn't going to let me take that out of the room to transfer it to my phone or a piece of paper.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
MaryMathis

Post by MaryMathis »

Most of the ideas come in my mind at the time of writing is when I was alone, watching any movie seriously, travelling in train or when I went to nay natural place. The idea of writing will come in any time at that we just have to keep all our ideas in mind and express it with our pen in paper.
Neyra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neyra.html

Post by Neyra »

It happand a few times to me, I allways write those ideas for future references
I have a few of them writen down although I have yet to start writing story!!
yogitranscend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yogitranscend.html

Post by yogitranscend »

In the middle of the night, during light sleeping, I will usually wake up because of a good dream which ends up bring a good idea for a book plot. The worst part of this is thinking in the middle of the night "I will remember this in the morning" when I always seem to forget! Lately, I have been forcing myself to get up, get a pen, and force myself to write things down BUT then in the morning I run into the problem of deciphering the chicken scratch into a feasible topic! Oh the woes of writing! :roll:
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

All the time. I'll be doing whatever and suddenly get a crazy idea. It's like daily interactions trigger ideas out of no where. I once was just sitting down, drinking pop and this story developed around a sip I took. It was like, BAM! I should write a story. Now, I'll instantly type the ideas onto my iPod, and most of the time, they're just short scene ideas that blossom into a story later.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I always carry a pen, so even if I have no paper I can write on my hand and then transfer it. Usually I have a post-it-note or a slip of paper to write on in emergencies. I got one of those pens that twists into a loop and then I can clip it on my lanyard, which I always wear. I find that it works the best.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I can usually hand onto story ideas. The trouble is when I am too busy to use them, and by the time I get around to writing about them they no longer interest or inspire me.
THWilliams82
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series
Currently Reading: Lord of the Rings Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thwilliams82.html

Post by THWilliams82 »

I always have my phone close by for this reason. I bought the samsung note which has a pen and you can write notes onto it. Very handy!
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

If I don't have a pen and paper, and I try to have those as much as possible, I should have my phone. I don't mind typing on my phone while walking on the road, except it's dangerous. If I can find somewhere to just sit, that's perfect. If I have some money with me and a place to sit, I'll buy a small notebook and a pen and go right into writing. If none of these choices are available, I'll have to keep forming the story in my head so I can have an almost fully developed plot when I'm able to write.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Since the day I have started writing, I always keep a diary with me so that I can note down my ideas which always save my time :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “Writing Discussion”