Sherlock Holmes

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Sherlock Holmes

Post by Airam Velarde »

I recently finished reading the whole Sherlock Holmes series and it quickly became my favorite out of everything I've read. It has the perfect blend of mystery and the Victorian Era that to me is ideal. Now that I know the character, his personality, and his relationship with others, I have been looking at the different adaptations of Sherlock Holmes with a very critical eye.
It seems to me that now they have started to concentrate more on his eccentricities and on giving him a romantic life, than on his detective skills. For example, in the original series he states that he has never been in love, that he isn't an admirer of women. He both dislikes and distrusts them, and is even described as more of a machine than a human. Yet in many different adaptations, he is given a romantic life with either one or many partners. It makes me wonder if changes like these are necessary to his story.
I have several adaptations of Sherlock Holmes that I really like, while others, I feel, are steering away from the mystery elements in the original stories. I was wondering if after reading the Sherlock Holmes series, do any of you feel any adaptations, both old or new, did justice to it? Which would you recommend, and do you feel the changes being made to the original are good or bad?
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I only read The Hound of the Baskervilles and enjoyed it. I don't changes should be made into the original, but they do it anyway.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

Sherlock Holmes was my first fictional crush and I still re-read the books regularly. Are you talking about non-canonical Sherlock Holmes works? I'm afraid I haven't read any of them but since I love AC Doyle's literary creation I don't think stories where Holmes differ a lot from the original would appeal to me. I wouldn't like to read stories about his romantic escapades, I'd like to read about the mystery and his great detective skills.

Which adaptations would you recommend? That are similar to the canon? Sorry, I'm answering your question with another question. :)
Airam Velarde
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>

Post by Airam Velarde »

Charlotte Reese wrote:Sherlock Holmes was my first fictional crush and I still re-read the books regularly. Are you talking about non-canonical Sherlock Holmes works? I'm afraid I haven't read any of them but since I love AC Doyle's literary creation I don't think stories where Holmes differ a lot from the original would appeal to me. I wouldn't like to read stories about his romantic escapades, I'd like to read about the mystery and his great detective skills.

Which adaptations would you recommend? That are similar to the canon? Sorry, I'm answering your question with another question. :)

Thanks for your reply! To answer your question, I was talking about TV show and movie adaptations of the books. I had started to watch the show Elementary and at first I really liked how Holmes was portrayed and how each episode was a different mystery to solve. Because of the focus on his detective work, I managed to overlook the fact that they gave him a romantic life. However, recently they have started to shift the focus onto this romantic drama, and apparently there is more of this in store for next season. So I'm not really in agreement with where the show is headed because, like you, I'm more interested in the mystery and his detective work. An adaptation I really liked are the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr.. Even though they deviate a bit from the original stories, I found them to be rather enjoyable.

I haven't seen any other modern adaptations, but I was really interested in seeing older works, more specifically, the ones released during the early to mid 1900's. I thought perhaps these would come closer to the canon. Have you by any chance seen any of these that you would recommend? :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
BizzyLizzy
Favorite Author: Naoki Urasawa
Currently Reading: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bizzylizzy.html

Post by BizzyLizzy »

Fellow Sherlockian here! :D Great to see some more Sherlock junkies on here, and so great to hear you've gotten into the world of Sherlock Holmes. I feel the same way as you -- at first, I was hesitant to read the Sherlock Holmes series (aren't we all a little nervous when starting one of those classic books with the daunting literary reputations??? haha!) Luckily for me, I fell in love with the characters and found the mysteries and stories irresistably clever and enjoyable -- it's little known that the series really has a sense of humour and a beating heart along with mysteries. Sherlock Holmes himself is especially interesting and fun to read about; he's such a character! :)

If you're looking for modern adaptations, many people have enjoyed the BBC's Sherlock, though I myself haven't quite liked it as much as I wish I could. They play up the "Jerk Genius" aspect of his personality way too much for my liking, so much that it borders on ill humour; I enjoy Elementary much more, if even for the fact that they keep the original silly, fun-loving aspect of his personality intact.
If you're looking for good pastiche, I recommend "The House of Silk" by Anthony Horwitz; "Dust and Shadow" by Lindsay Faye. I'm still exploring the breadth of Sherlockiana myself, and of those two I've only read one in full so far, but they are popularly praised!!

I've been looking for a couple recommendations myself -- if you read anything good, please let me know!! :)

(PS: This might be a given, but your icon is awesome :) )
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

Sherlock Holmes continues to be the greatest detective in literature. I have enjoyed the British adaptations for TV over the years more than American versions. And I admit I find Benedict Cumberbatch as a modern day Sherlock to be absolutely captivating.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Airam Velarde

Post by Airam Velarde »

BizzyLizzy wrote: If you're looking for modern adaptations, many people have enjoyed the BBC's Sherlock, though I myself haven't quite liked it as much as I wish I could. They play up the "Jerk Genius" aspect of his personality way too much for my liking, so much that it borders on ill humour; I enjoy Elementary much more, if even for the fact that they keep the original silly, fun-loving aspect of his personality intact.
If you're looking for good pastiche, I recommend "The House of Silk" by Anthony Horwitz; "Dust and Shadow" by Lindsay Faye. I'm still exploring the breadth of Sherlockiana myself, and of those two I've only read one in full so far, but they are popularly praised!!
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll make sure to read them! :D As for BBC's Sherlock, I had actually heard before the same thing, like you said, about the "Jerk Genius" becoming too much of his personality. So I have been quite hesitant in seeing it myself.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love the original series and have read it several times. I have bought the books since I wanted them in my own library. I have read one or two books adaptations and it didn't appeal to me.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kzin

Post by Kzin »

Elementary's first season was pretty good. I don't think I'll be watching the third season, but oit started out well.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I love the original S.H. stories and have read them all, including the novels. I reread a story once in awhile. Great writing, stories, mysteries, characters, adventure, etc.

As for TV adaptations: I watch Elementary occasionally. I don't mind the way S.H. is portrayed, but he sometimes seems a bit too neurotic. His "personal issues" sometimes get in the way of the story, which never happened in the original stories. All in all, Jonny Lee Miller does a pretty good job with the role. However, the character of Watson on the show annoys me to no end. I don't mind that it's a woman - that's an interesting twist - but she is far too involved in investigation, interviewing witnesses, interrogating suspects, etc. Then she wants to start solving "her own" cases and gets mad when S.H. intervenes! And I'm not sure if it's the scripts or Lucy Liu's mediocre acting, but I have to just roll my eyes at the banality of some of her lines. Also, I don't like the dynamic they've created between the two; S.H. is far too dependent on her because of being an addict.

I have seen the BBC version once or twice. That's probably not enough to form a solid opinion, but my initial impression was that I liked it; however, I think that S.H. comes off as a bit obnoxious. I plan to watch it a little more and see if it improves.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

If you're hesitant about jumping into Sherlock BBC, I say you should still try it. The writing is FANTASTIC, and though the setting is far from Doyle's, it still works. That's actually how I got into the whole Sherlock universe, so I feel pretty strongly about it. Plus Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) is a fantastic actor, as is Martin Freeman (Watson). The acting overall is very strong. Would recommend!
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
BizzyLizzy
Favorite Author: Naoki Urasawa
Currently Reading: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bizzylizzy.html

Post by BizzyLizzy »

A_Velarde23 wrote: Thanks for the recommendations, I'll make sure to read them! :D As for BBC's Sherlock, I had actually heard before the same thing, like you said, about the "Jerk Genius" becoming too much of his personality. So I have been quite hesitant in seeing it myself.
No problem! :) Yeah... it doesn't keep me from watching the show; I still tune in just for the thrill of seeing Cumberbatch as Sherlock! But there are some weak spots in the writing, just as in any show, and this modern Sherlock does have a bit of an irrationally mean streak. Still, I hope you enjoy!!!
annareads wrote:If you're hesitant about jumping into Sherlock BBC, I say you should still try it. The writing is FANTASTIC, and though the setting is far from Doyle's, it still works. That's actually how I got into the whole Sherlock universe, so I feel pretty strongly about it. Plus Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) is a fantastic actor, as is Martin Freeman (Watson). The acting overall is very strong. Would recommend!
I would definitely say the acting skills of Cumberbatch and Freeman are the strongest part of the show, so I definitely agree with you there! I also enjoy how, as you've said, the modern setting was made to work! Though I still personally believe the writing has its problematic elements, you make a lot of good points; there's no doubt that BBC Sherlock is worth a watch, if even for its excellent production values! :)
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I have always wanted to read the series and after reading this post and comments I think I will start the series.
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

If you're looking for modern adaptations, many people have enjoyed the BBC's Sherlock, though I myself haven't quite liked it as much as I wish I could. They play up the "Jerk Genius" aspect of his personality way too much for my liking, so much that it borders on ill humour;
I like BBC's Sherlock although I totally agree with your "Jerk Genius" assessment.
rhondavonda

Post by rhondavonda »

Original series are gorgeous indeed

Return to “Discuss Authors”