Official Review: Mineko: Book of Sisters by RG Dillon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Mineko: Book of Sisters by RG Dillon

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mineko: Book of Sisters" by RG Dillon.]
Book Cover for 2068
Share This Review

Mineko is a fast packed action book penned in the third point of view and set in 17th century Japan. In his debut novel, which is the first book in the Mineko series, author RG Dillon spins an agonizing and memorable coming of age story of a young courageous girl.

A bit of background if I may, before I tell you more about the plot. The story is set in medieval Japan. Japan at that time was ruled by successions of shoguns which imposed a strict class system with the samurai (warriors) at the top (a sort of feudalism system). Under the shoguns were lords with the title of daimyo .The Samurai were warriors, the military nobility of medieval and early-modern Japan. Samurai were supposed to lead their lives according to the ethical code of bushido ("the way of the warrior"). They were vassals to the daimyo while the daimyo were vessels to the Shoguns. Some of Samurai described in this book were far from being honorable and resembled simple cut throat assassins. But let's start from the beginning.

This is the story of Mineko, a young orphan Japanese girl, who becomes a slave to some evil band of samurai. This book tells her story from her earlier years till she grows up and manages to embark on a quest of vengeance. The family of Mineko was brutally slaughtered in cold blood by Mercenaries band of Samurai. The reasons for the attack weren't clear at first. Don't worry, all was made perfectly clear toward the end of the book and it left me openmouthed.

Mineko and her sister are the only survivors and they are whisked away to the assassins' gloomy hideaway. Mineko is then getting separated from her sister and has to endure life as a slave, life full of psychical and verbal abuse. Did I mention that Mineko was only 6 years old?? My son is around that age and I had a difficult time reading the scenes about beatings and all the other abuse the heroin suffered at the hands of her captors. Fortunately, that was not all the book was about.

Mineko learns to survive in a world gone mad and only two things keep her alive: the raging desire to avenge her family and thoughts of her sister who may or may not come back to save her from life of suffering and abuse. As her story unfolds, the reader learns to admire her and root for her. When Yasuo, a young samurai man, enters the picture the life of Mineko changes for the best. A ray of hope starts to enlighten otherwise a bleak world. Mineko starts to feel first buds of love and her trials continue with an unexpected twist. One follows her quest of vengeance with a bated breath since "Mineko will settle for nothing less than extreme vengeance."

RG Dillon weaves a captivating story that draws the reader in from the very first lines and pulls his heart strings to boot. The reader feels a broad range of feelings starting with grief and finishing with hope. Be forewarned that this book isn't for the faint of heart nor is it appropriate for young adult readers due to the gory and violent content in it. Some scenes were very difficult for me to read, especially the scenes where the protagonist was physical abused. Often I had to put the book down and take a few deep breaths after reading an especially violent scene.
Despite that, I decided to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The author managed to pull me into the story and made me feel part of the action. Also I was glad to read a book in which its main protagonist is a woman and a strong one at that. Fate controlled Mineko at first and then she took control of her fate and I liked that.

The plot was interesting and the characters made me feel involved with them. I was invested in the story and cared about the heroin. The writing is simple but compelling and it brought to life the samurai lifestyle. I sympathized with the heroin and could understand her actions. I rooted for her, cried for her even and at some point wanted to kill the murderous band myself. I often found myself sitting on the edge of my seat while reading some scenes. One can't but take the protagonist into his heart and feel for her. She was almost more real to me than the mundane world. The reading was an emotional, and draining at times, experience, but well worth it.

The end was memorable and blow mind and caught me by surprise. Yes, there are some difficult passages in the book, but the overall message emerging from it is the enormous capacity of the human spirit to rise intact from difficult situations. Kudos for the author for making me to feel that strongly about the book!

Buy "Mineko: Book of Sisters" on Amazon
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MrEmDash
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Winters Bone or The Road
Currently Reading: The Game of Thrones and Wizard Science
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mremdash.html
Latest Review: "Pearls and Heels" by Kareen Cole

Post by MrEmDash »

Sounds like a good book, but does it at all seem cliche in any way? I feel like some of your review makes the book a bit predictable in a way.
gali

Post by gali »

MrEmDash wrote:Sounds like a good book, but does it at all seem cliche in any way? I feel like some of your review makes the book a bit predictable in a way.
It may was a bit predictable in away, but some parts were unexpected and managed to surprised me. I enjoyed the book greatly and liked the way the author wove together all the threads.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MrEmDash
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Winters Bone or The Road
Currently Reading: The Game of Thrones and Wizard Science
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mremdash.html

Post by MrEmDash »

Awesome. Thanks!
milyjohnson37
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milyjohnson37.html

Post by milyjohnson37 »

I enjoyed your review of this book. This book isn't the type of book I usually read, but reading your review made me interested in it.
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you both. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

denise_burke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by denise_burke »

Great review Gali! I also enjoyed this book although I found it somewhat predictable until the surprise twist at the end. I don't think I will be reading the next book in the series anytime soon. There was a little too much blood and guts for me.
gali

Post by gali »

denise_burke wrote:Great review Gali! I also enjoyed this book although I found it somewhat predictable until the surprise twist at the end. I don't think I will be reading the next book in the series anytime soon. There was a little too much blood and guts for me.
Thank you and I am glad you liked the book. :)

I don't think the second book came out as yet, but I plan to read it as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review! This sounds like a book far off the beaten path.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
gali

Post by gali »

Kappy wrote:Excellent review! This sounds like a book far off the beaten path.
Thank you and it is that. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

This sounds like an interesting read. Mice review gali! :)
gali

Post by gali »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:This sounds like an interesting read. Mice review gali! :)
Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”