The ending of The Bone Season - What'd you think? (SPOILERS)

Discuss the April 2014 book of the month, The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The ending of The Bone Season - What'd you think? (SPOILERS)

Post by Scott »

Please be advised this discussion will contain spoilers. Please do not read this topic if you have not read the book.

How do you feel about the ending of The Bone Season?

Unfortunately, I had no idea it was the beginning of a series going in. I get that vibe through the story and it became obvious without checking to me at the end. I felt it through off the whole flow of the story. It was very slow at parts and I could feel a lot of the buildup, but then it was sort anticlimactic to me. Namely, very few people died, and very little was actually resolved. This especially the case since I felt it was sort of left to be interpreted that living back in the citadel would have much of the same issues as living in the previous slavery by way of being an outlaw under the command of a sort of tyrannical crime lord. To me, a whole bunch of stuff happened near the end, and then it just ended too abruptly. I felt like it could have been a great story in itself, but I was cheated out of the last half. What did you think?

I was also of course disappointed she didn't end up staying with her weird alien-like lover.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I knew the book was part of a series when I started reading the book, so the ending didn't disappoint me. The story indeed started a bit slow , but later it picked up steam. I finished the book in 2 days since I was eager to find out how it turned out.

I was actually happy that there weren't that many deaths. There were enough deaths in the story to make it believable in my eyes. On the other hand I didn't like the alternations between the heroin and the lord near the end and thought the author was laying it on a bit thick.

The love angle between the two was kind of predictable (I liked it though) and I guess the two will come together in the next book. Since it is the first book in a series, the author left a lot of loose ends. The end indeed felt rushed, but I like it that the hero managed to escape at least.

The author didn't explained the secret of the aliens (she alluded to it) and I hope all will be explained in the next book. I will certainly read the next book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

It surprised me a bit, but when I got 3/4 of th way through and not much had been resolved, i figured an ending like that was bound to happen.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I was satisfied with the ending, having known that it was a series going in. I thought the author gave a reasonable resolution while leaving the plot and characters open for the next book. And I'm glad she left. She only just decided that she can trust Warden; it's a bit early in the relationship for her to sacrifice her life and freedom to stay with him immediately. I expect they'll be back together in future. Plus, I imagined him to be much older than Paige (since he's been on Earth for 200 years and all), so when they pulled the romance angle, it really resonated as "off" with me.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I felt there was a lot of introduction but little explanation and almost no resolution, which, I suppose is the formula of any series. Although I enjoyed it, had I known it was a series before reading it, I probably wouldn't have signed up for 7 projected books. I felt the timing was off, slow start and then rush at the end. Since I am now signed up, I hope to see this improve over the course of the books.
I am still confused about all the drugs the aliens take and do hope to get a little more information on them. And I would like to see the relationship develop between the alien and the dream walker, I don't think they are done quite yet.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
crashlee012
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashlee012.html

Post by crashlee012 »

I thought that the ending was reasonable. I didn't know it was a series when I started it, but with all the things going on, it would have been extremely disappointing if it had just ended with the first book. To get a proper and fulfilling ending, this series will probably need to be longer than two books.

Was anyone else surprised with some of the things that happened? For example, the fact that her friend/secret love was actually gay. I did not see that coming at all. I might have just been very bad at reading the signs, but it was quite unexpected. For a second there, I had been worrying about another love triangle, so this news made me very happy.

I personally kind of like the fact that the two were separated at the end. They are both off to do their duties and save their people. If they really care for each other, then they will find a way to be together again. Hopefully, though, without all the mind-numbing pining that some authors like to include. This book is more adventure than romance, and hopefully it will stay that way.

I still totally loved this book and I'm waiting impatiently for the next one to come out. This author is amazing!
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

I didn't know it was a series going in, but it became pretty obvious to be after a bit. Personally, I liked the ending well enough, it always frustrates me when the Author kills off all my favorite characters. Mostly, I liked the idea of the dreamwalker power stuff, and I liked that she got free in the end. I am looking forward to the second book, but it's not a pins and needles wait.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I thought that the ending fits with the idea that this is the first in a series. What I didn't like was the ambiguity of what will happen to Warden. He was this super important character and then at the end he stays behind and tells her that she will never see him again if he succeeds in killing "what's-her-name" {I can't even remember her name, wow]. It made no sense to me, since I still think that he will be back.
I also liked the different types of clairvoyants and I wish that they showed up more, especially the seven seals.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Like a lot of other people, I didn't realize that this was a series until it was too late to pull back. Curse you book of the month club for making me commit to yet another long term relationship series. That said, I did like the ending. It was open ended enough to leave a whole mess of conflict to be discovered and resolved, but it ended with a sense of liberation at the same time. The fight will go one, because that is life, but I feel like I could end there and be satisfied with it. I was glad that they escaped and that Paige is obviously no longer content to be a puppet for whoever wants to pull her strings. She's come into her own power, which I really enjoyed seeing.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I felt disappointed at the close of the novel. I too found it to be anticlimactic and felt a little..empty? The novel itself was choppy and felt a little inconsistent in tone and I found the word choice to be distracting and ill-fitting at times. Aside from that, I thought it was well written and interesting, but a little too slow for my taste. Throughout the duration of the book, I never really got the sense that it was going anywhere, and my suspicions were confirmed by the end.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Although it's part of a series, I still like to see a little more resolution at the end of the story. A bit disappointing.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

Because of all of you, I knew it was a series, but I feel a bit cheated by the ending. It was like the author was ready to get to the next part of the story, and rushed through this part. On the other hand, I was very tired of all the violence (I know it wasn't that bad, I was just tired of it) and kinda skimmed the fight scenes in the last chapter. That might have been part of the problem.
I don't think that this story will stick with me, I bet that by the time the next book comes out, I won't even remember to look for it.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
aweirdassbooknerd
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Shining by Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aweirdassbooknerd.html

Post by aweirdassbooknerd »

I think the ending was little ambiguous, I loved the chaos they showed in the fighting because most of the books show very nice, almost practiced fights, so I liked it when Samantha made it a big ruckus. The end where she leaves on the train was not satisfying at all. It seemed as though the writer got bored (or too excited to write the next book) and didn't bother tying up loose ends.
karenr

Post by karenr »

I was disappointed by the ending and like other people had no idea it was a part of a series until I was quite a way through the book. Having said that though - I will be reading the sequel very soon.
zoe2328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe2328.html

Post by zoe2328 »

I was content with the ending (sort of). I was aware that the book was going to be the first part in a series, so expected the 'left out of the loop' feeling at the end. I think it was enough of a close on the events previously happening in the book to make me feel content with the contents of the events and their outcomes, while leaving me really wanting that second book to come out so I could know what was going to happen next next. Lets face it, we all wanted to see her stay with her weird lover. :P

Return to “"The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon”