First Read Edgar Allen Poe

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
sjschleis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjschleis.html

First Read Edgar Allen Poe

Post by sjschleis »

The Raven is deep but need a better understanding of what it means
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

The Raven is a 'love lost' poem, for sure. The protagonist is reminded by the presence of his uninvited guest of his bereavement of "that rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore" right away. Yet, this narrative is also about sins, sins we are not told anywhere in the story, but the occurrences of which are suggested by our narrator's fear of the bird. Poe's short story Morella explores a theme we could be looking at here, that of a man's regret over having thought coldly and cruelly against his love before she died, perhaps even so intently as to have brought about her demise for reasons rational only to him. By the fact that the raven doesn't leave him and will never, but is forever to be perched on a bust close to our protagonist's chamber door, we know it can't be merely an animal, but could be an apparition or, more likely, the product of a madman's mind, guilt having hit him so hard that he is now quite literally able to see and hear his conscience nagging him with a single word, "Nevermore."

If you have any more specific questions, sjschleis, I'd be happy to help!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
ciewilder

Post by ciewilder »

My first read Edgar Allen Poe was "Tell Tale Hearts" I can read it over and over again. I really love this story.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Good explanation, Nathrad Sheare.

I think there is a connection between "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Raven." Namely, in both cases the narrator IS his own doom. In "The Tell-Tale Heart," he would not have been caught for the murder, but his own near-crazy obsession forces him to reveal it (sorry if no spoilers are allowed). In "The Raven," it's just a bird that has learned only one word from humans: "Nevermore." The narrator knows this. He could ask it any question that he liked, and it would still answer "nevermore." But because of the way his mind is working, he keeps asking it questions about Lenore, whether he will ever see her again, etc. He's not doing it on purpose, of course, or not completely. But he is bouncing off the raven's verbal habit to create his own meaning. Every time the raven repeats the only line it knows, the narrator has a harder and harder time NOT viewing it as an oracle. As Nathrad Sheare says, it's his own guilt and obsession ... but he is using the raven to create the confirmation that he needs -- or fears.

Actually I think this is a great example of how both oracles and ghost stories can actually work. At first, we are just amusing ourselves, "just to see" if there is anything in it, and we are in control of the situation, but the longer we interact with the entity, the less we realize that we are in control. Reminds me of an expose by a carnival fortune-teller I read. She would basically read peoples' verbal and nonverbal cues, then do her best to predict what they were evidently hoping for, or "reveal" what they were evidently already worried about. And I have seen at least one false prophet do the same thing. But I digress.

Gotta say, I'm not completely comfortable with Edgar Allen Poe's constant intertwining of love and morbidity. I don't find it romantic. But, I digress again.

The relentless rhythm of The Raven really gives you a sense that you are going crazy/obsessed with the narrator.
Katereads

Post by Katereads »

I have always enjoyed The Tell Tale Heart. I enjoy the vivid imagery that Poe creates in this story. I love the tension and how I feel when I am able to imagine how the main character feels when the event is unfolding. This doesn't happen for me often, and when it does I really enjoy the literature.
Valerie_Joy
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-joy.html

Post by Valerie_Joy »

The first thing I read by Edgar Allen Poe was Annabel Lee. I love this poem, and I love how he makes it rhyme. The story line behind it is really deep. I just love how he wrote it.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Katereads wrote:I have always enjoyed The Tell Tale Heart. I enjoy the vivid imagery that Poe creates in this story. I love the tension and how I feel when I am able to imagine how the main character feels when the event is unfolding. This doesn't happen for me often, and when it does I really enjoy the literature.
Kate, I once went to a drama competition where one contestant had chosen for his monologue "The Tell-Tale Heart." He would put on his specs as he got into his character, give this creepy little grin, shake his head and say, "Yet still you think me mad." It was very effective!
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

The Tell-Tale Heart is a masterful monologue, and I, myself, would like to see it acted someday...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

The Tell-Tale Heart was my first one, though at the time I didn't even know who Poe was ;).
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

The Tell-Tale Heart and The Raven are certainly among his most famous works. (I used to be able to recite The Raven, in its entirety, by heart. Nevermore!) But don't miss other gems such as The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, The Masque of the Red Death, The Purloined Letter.

Unless you're a die-hard Poe fan, I would recommend skipping his only novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket. It's meandering and rather tedious, and shows that the short story was a much better forum for him.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

The first Edgar Allen Poe poem I remember reading was also "The Raven." I remember having to do an assignment or two based purely on this piece.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
hopeh80
Currently Reading: The Spirit Who Speaks

Post by hopeh80 »

The first Edgar Allen Poe poem that I read was the Tell-Tale Heart. From then on I was hooked. He is truly one of my favorite poets.
Witty_Read
Currently Reading: The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-witty-read.html

Post by Witty_Read »

I highly suggest you check out his work of "The Black Cat". It is pretty straight forward and good for someone just getting into E.A.P, while still providing good insight to his style of writing.
E-beth
Currently Reading: Hidden Deep
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-beth.html

Post by E-beth »

My first Poe poem was also the Tell-Tale Heart. It was for a school assignment. Sence then i've read several of his poems and I feel like he wrote with his soul. I really like all of his poems that I have read.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I love the Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. I have his complete works.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Poetry & Music”