Overall Opinions of The Thread by Victoria Hislop

Discuss the July 2013 book of the month "The Thread: A Novel" by Victoria Hislop.

How do you rate The Thread?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
22%
3 stars - good, recommend it
67%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
11%

Total votes: 9

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Overall Opinions of The Thread by Victoria Hislop

Post by Scott »

What do you think of the July 2013 book of the month, The Thread by Victoria Hislop? Would you recommend it to others?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Jo Ledamun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jo Ledamun »

The threads which are woven and that connect our friends and family together cannot always be seen or are not immediately obvious to others. Memories & remembering to take time to feel & to listen are important.

It took a while to immerse myself in the story and get to know the characters, but I enjoyed reading 'The Thread'. It was historical, has a strong written narrative and the characters are clearly defined and well formed - especially Katerina & Eugenia. But, the character I liked most was Leonidas, this is because he subtly touched the lives of so many people in his life cut short.

Admittedly, I only read this book as it was selected by the group as book of the month. 'The Thread' is not a book I would have usually chosen to read. I prefer novels which tend to be more quick in tempo, witty & imaginative to read. However, I have no regrets! I read something otherwise I would not of read and enjoyed it & this is the reason I chose to join a book group. If you read 'The Thread', I hope you enjoy it too? :D

-- 14 Jul 2013, 10:27 --

P.S: I give 'The Thread' a 3 star rating!
kelleys4girls

Post by kelleys4girls »

I was a little put off, thinking it was a little more romantic than the books I usually choose. I wound up really enjoying it. It sent me to YouTube to listen to some rebetika, to the dictionary and Wiki for translation of Greek words as well as a summary of the Greek history, and to GoogleEarth for a virtual tour of Thessaloniki. I love a book that tells an incredible story but also feels like a great trip through time and space, a book that leaves you with more than you started. It was reminiscent of my time in England while reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson or my time in Newfoundland while reading Galore by Michael Crummey.

A great read that really took me away. I give it 4 stars because it will remain on my library shelves and likely be revisited.

I read NOS4A2 by Joe Hill also. It was a great read, more the style of what I normally choose, but it was a snack compared to the 4 course meal of The Thread :)
taryn510

Post by taryn510 »

I would recommend this book. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it was I wasn't too taken with 'The Return' her previous novel. I felt this book was exciting and i was hooked on it for days until it was finished.
waqas

Post by waqas »

I was really exciting to read book & at last I read it until it was finished.
lucyrebecca123

Post by lucyrebecca123 »

I'm reading 'The Island' by VH atm and thoroughly enjoying it. :)
goalpucks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goalpucks.html

Post by goalpucks »

I use a slightly different scale when I rate books:

1 star - hated it and couldn't finish it
2 star - didn't like it but forced myself to finish it
3 star - I finished it and it wasn't painful to do so
4 star - liked it a lot and would recommend it to others but probably a one time read for me
5 star - I loved it and will ultimately end up reading it again

I'd rate The Thread as 3 stars on my scale. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anybody, but I enjoyed reading the novel. I felt like I learned some things about history and Greece that I was unaware of. There were a few chapters that ended with enough of a cliff hanger, so to speak, that forced me to continue on to the next chapter without putting the book down. I did find myself rooting for certain characters at times and seriously disliking others. To me, that is an indication of good writing. There was also one specific point in the book that I teared up (no spoiler). I'm happy that I finished the novel and I'm excited for the next book of the month!
behindblueeyes17

Post by behindblueeyes17 »

I actually haven't read the book yet but reading the reviews is making me want to go buy it now!!
millerlite1968

Post by millerlite1968 »

This is a extremely instilling novel. One hard to put down. If you enjoyed her novel "The Island" you will certainly will enjoy this one as well.
readbtwnthelines1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readbtwnthelines1.html

Post by readbtwnthelines1 »

Hmm. Curiosity thoroughly piqued. Will definitely take a peek into this one.
katielgorton3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katielgorton3.html

Post by katielgorton3 »

This book was on my reading list but after these reviews, I'm not so sure it will stay on there.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

katielgorton3 wrote:This book was on my reading list but after these reviews, I'm not so sure it will stay on there.
Yeah, I had the same impression. I think I'll pass.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

It was good, the story and characters were well-developed, it just didn't fully pique my interest.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
ryancody

Post by ryancody »

It is very interesting and magnificent story on friendship and love. I have read this book. I love the story..
Reetikal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reetikal.html

Post by Reetikal »

Wow reviews are just making me want to go buy it today looks like a read to go for..

Return to “"The Thread: A Novel" by Victoria Hislop”