Review of The Fate of AI Society

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarvesh J Yadav 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarvesh-j-yadav-1.html
Latest Review: Shelby Morrow - Journals, 1929-1935 by A. C. Holmes

Review of The Fate of AI Society

Post by Sarvesh J Yadav 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fate of AI Society" by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kenneth James Hamer-Hodges' The Fate of AI Society brings a disconcerting realization that it is building the entire digital history on the shaky basis of old computer systems. The book delivers its core argument with admirable clarity: however, individuals in the twenty-first century might be dependent on binary computers and traditional software but still be catastrophically destructed by cyberattacks equipped with AI, information manipulations, and runaway algorithms that start with small beginnings but end up with big consequences.

Hamer-Hodges is not an AI alarmist aiming to scare the world into believing the doomsday scenario of a Terminator-like apocalypse. His concern is more insidious: the covert machine is fueled by the former; the last bullet intended for unaccountable algorithms marks the end of democracy as we know it. He paints a portrait of our society standing before a cyber-dystopia that surrounds us. Others could, however, consider this paranoia. Yet, consider this: it seems like the word superhuman cyberspace' was similar to fiction just a few years ago. However, this became a naive image in the history of our survival. Hamer-Hodges makes the reader gaze at the holey path ahead in his creative ways.

The book has its success in the sense that it diagnoses not only the disease but also the ailments. He suggests that binary computing is the very cause of a condition that is struggling to find its defense—an open wound that every attacker is waiting to exploit. His proposal, a shift towards 'networked function abstractions', may sound like sci-fi jargon to the layperson, but the basic idea is sound: complex problems can only be tackled with complex solutions, not patching remedies.

The Fate of AI Society, indeed, is a compelling book for everyone in computer science and cybersecurity. The parallels between the way this character pushes for a technical overhaul and the passion that is needed for the resolution of AI safety issues are astounding. However, given the strength of its report, in-depth technical analysis of the future of cyber warfare, in particular, indicates the only weakness. Applying the whole spectrum approach, which will look at the complexities in the human-technology relationship, would have made this an even more influential book. In light of my experience, the book has a 5 out of 5 star rating, according to me. The editing is good, as I can hardly find anything I can put my finger on.

The Fate of AI Society
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”