Have you been paid to review books here?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

jellymonty
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Complete Series
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellymonty.html
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat

Have you been paid to review books here?

Post by jellymonty »

I'm just wondering if there is actual money paid to us reviewers. I'm almost on level 5 and the price I get for reviewing are just free books. As much as I like free books, but I would like to be paid for at least one book. Has anyone been paid real money after a book review here? If so how long did it take before you started getting paid? just being curious.
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat
Hearty Guy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hearty-guy.html

Post by Hearty Guy »

Hi jellymonty,

I just joined recently. I found this group today. How long have you been reviewing here at online book club?

Is there a FAQ that I should read that explains the levels and everything else pertinent to reviewing?

I'll look around and see if I can PM you with this question also… just wanting to learn the ropes. Thanks for any comments.
nagathachristie
Favorite Author: Linda Howard
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagathachristie.html
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
fav_author_id: 8729

Post by nagathachristie »

Yes, I have been paid before! You need to make at least 5 posts before you can join the review team, but there are a series of levels that you have to get past if you want to see the books available to review sooner. I joined before the levels were in place, but I think you might understand the levels after you join the review team.

But take your time.

Many books are free and a lot of them are worthwhile to read anyway.
Latest Review: "Overcome Anxiety" by Elisabetta Reist
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

i have been paid before! Like nagathachristie said you need to make a post count of at least 5 and check back at the forum often for books! They are always adding new books and most of them, especially the pad ones, go quickly!
Hope_cross86

Post by Hope_cross86 »

I haven't been paid granted I'm new, I would like to learn how to be a paid review of books. Since, I read all the time and write reviews on Smashwords, Goodreads, and also my own blog. Plus, would like to discuss books with others to get there opionion and reading the books. I just found out about this so now I am looking to learn how to become paid to review the books on here so I dont always have to look for books to review.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

You will see more free book reviews then paid but if you check frequently you'll I one across a few paid reviews.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

All of my reviews (except one) were for free books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

The paid review opportunities go fastest, and are offered first and thus usually quickly taken first by the top level of reviewers. This is in part what the authors/publishers are paying for: to get one of the most experienced, most trusted reviewers to be the reviewer of their book.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I was wondering this too. I've been on here for over a month now, which I realize still makes me a bit new. I am on level 4 and I have over 200 posts, so that is not the issue. I know there have been some troubles, but I get one or two free books pop up briefly that are not appealing to me, then nothing for a few days. If only the most experienced/trusted reviewers are getting paid reviews, I feel like there should maybe be more levels. I'm as high as I can theoretically get without a paid review, so I thought going into this that I would have more opportunities at level 4 than I did at level 0. Once I get one paid review, will I be more likely to see them, or will they still be this scarce? I do understand that there are a lot of reviewers, many of them who have been here longer than I have. It is just frustrating to check the forum over and over again with no results.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

jhollan2 wrote:I was wondering this too. I've been on here for over a month now, which I realize still makes me a bit new. I am on level 4 and I have over 200 posts, so that is not the issue. I know there have been some troubles, but I get one or two free books pop up briefly that are not appealing to me, then nothing for a few days. If only the most experienced/trusted reviewers are getting paid reviews, I feel like there should maybe be more levels. I'm as high as I can theoretically get without a paid review, so I thought going into this that I would have more opportunities at level 4 than I did at level 0. Once I get one paid review, will I be more likely to see them, or will they still be this scarce? I do understand that there are a lot of reviewers, many of them who have been here longer than I have. It is just frustrating to check the forum over and over again with no results.
There aren't that many paid reviews. Most of the reviews are for free books, no matter the level.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian.html

Post by Ian »

So to me a con, the way they sale this there are lots of books to earn money.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I really love this forum, and I like getting free books to review, but I agree with Ian that it feels a lot like a con.

This is posted directly from the site:
"Indeed, we have hundreds of pending requests for reviews. This is a collection of hundreds of books that each normally cost money to purchase but from which you can choose a free book. In fact, there is such a high demand for reviewers to accept these offers that many of them are now coming with a payment in addition to the free book. In other words, you will get a free copy of a book and then you will get paid to honestly review that book. You do not have to lie and say you loved it if you didn't. You are being paid for an honest, quick review, not a positive review.

Most payouts currently range between $10-$60 per review. Like we said, you won't get rich but you can make a couple hundred dollars a month. And then there's the savings from getting your books for free instead of paying for them."
To me, there is a huge difference between investing your time and writing talents in something that will potentially make you a couple hundred dollars a month and something that will give you free books but no money. I feel like I was tricked. If I had just been told that I was going to get free books, and maybe possibly someday, even get paid for it, I would have still come to this site. It seems like if there are few paid reviews, or few reviews at all, then the site should be edited to reflect that and make people aware of what the reality of the situation really is.

It's not that I don't like this forum. I have really enjoyed the discussions I've had with people and will continue reading and posting to threads, and reviewing books, whenever I am lucky to find one available. I just feel a bit mislead.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

jhollan2 wrote:I was wondering this too. I've been on here for over a month now, which I realize still makes me a bit new. I am on level 4 and I have over 200 posts, so that is not the issue. I know there have been some troubles, but I get one or two free books pop up briefly that are not appealing to me, then nothing for a few days. If only the most experienced/trusted reviewers are getting paid reviews, I feel like there should maybe be more levels.
Yes, I agree. I am implementing a supplement to the current levels. It's a score that will range from 0-100.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Ian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian.html

Post by Ian »

What does that mean now post 100 and you may get a review.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

To the rest of you, I'm sorry about the temporary shortage of review opportunities. I had the same issue before with free books and created the levels system. However, it seems the demand for books to review has outgrown the basic levels system I originally created. I am now implementing a new scoring system. This more sophisticated system will enable newer members of the team to establish themselves in more ways than by just blowing through enough reviews to become level 5. Of the reviewers who have or who do several official reviews, it will provide a more effective way to reward those who follow the guidelines and provide thorough reviews than by just counting the number of reviews up to a certain point.

I have also modified the landing page to which some have cited to better reflect the current availability of review opportunities.

-- 28 Feb 2014 04:10 pm --
Ian wrote:What does that mean now post 100 and you may get a review.
No. In fact, it is meant to take the emphasis off of just post count and number of completed reviews like the previous levels were. It is explained on the Review Team Page. I'm still working out the kinks and deciding on the exact nature of the implementation.

Once I have the scoring system working well to distribute review opportunities in an organized fashion, I will focus on getting more review opportunities all-together.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”