Review of Let us not talk falsely now

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Review of Let us not talk falsely now

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let us not talk falsely now" by T. Patrick Graves.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the book, Let Us Not Talk Falsely Now by T. Partrick Graves, we follow the tumultuous journey of Johnny Desmond as he navigates a life filled with foster homes and endures various forms of abuse after being separated from his mother. As he grows older, Johnny becomes a fervent advocate for a racist movement, willing to take on any job to prove his allegiance. Amidst this backdrop, an unexpected relationship blossoms between Johnny and a woman named Jenny. The novel delves into Johnny's pursuit of his racist beliefs, the fate of his relationship with Jenny, and the lingering question of whether his mother will ever be released from jail.

One of the notable aspects of this story is its exploration of a coming-of-age narrative for a protagonist who had a challenging upbringing. Johnny's experiences being shuffled between foster homes and enduring abuse shaped his desire for a sense of belonging. When he finally finds himself living with Peter's family, he eagerly takes on menial tasks that ultimately land him in trouble.

The book is primarily narrated from Johnny's perspective, which provides a clear understanding of the story. The author's choice to use Johnny's voice as the main narrative voice is commendable, as it allows readers to connect deeply with the protagonist.

The unconventional love story between Johnny and Jenny is another captivating element. Their relationship develops from a deep friendship, evolving beyond the circumstances that brought them together. Johnny's love for Jenny grows from a genuine connection, distinct from his past sexual encounters, such as his involvement with Andrea, a young lawyer he met during his time in prison.
The book delves into important societal issues, including racism, homosexuality, American politics, and the experiences of Jewish individuals. These themes provide valuable insights and opportunities for reflection.

The character development of Johnny is a strong point in the book. He undergoes significant personal growth throughout the story. While he acknowledges his fondness for non-white individuals like Lester Kelvin, he still harbors prejudiced views. This duality presents both a character flaw and a realistic portrayal by the author.

Johnny's complex relationship with his mother is another aspect that provokes deep reflection. Reading about Johnny's mother and the father figure who raised him abandoning him is heartbreaking. The choices and lifestyle of Johnny's mother add another layer of sorrow. The uncertainty of whether Johnny will ever reunite with his mother creates a compelling hook that kept me engaged until the final chapter.

I particularly enjoyed the incorporation of black American informal language and slang, which added excitement and relatability to the book. Patrick's writing prowess is evident, as the story flowed seamlessly, keeping me engrossed from page to page.

Overall, there was nothing I disliked about Let Us Not Talk Falsely Now. The book offers valuable life lessons, making it suitable for mature readers and young adults alike. Johnny's journey showcases the potential for redemption when one truly feels remorse for their past actions.

Although the book had a few minor errors, it was well edited, allowing the story to shine through. Based on the reasons I mentioned earlier, I wholeheartedly give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking a thought-provoking and enlightening read that delves into American politics and racism. It will also be beneficial for young adults.

Let us not talk falsely now
View: on Bookshelves
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I won't be super interested in the love story, but the rest of the narrative really grabs my attention. You can see Johnny's longing for attention even in this review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A damaged protagonist who pursues racism then grows in a broader in an inner journey full of pain. Will he heal? I'm curious about the themes address in this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”