Review of Go Set A Watchman!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Agbata Trust
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review of Go Set A Watchman!

Post by Agbata Trust »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Go Set A Watchman!" by Thomas Greaves.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Everyone who has encountered the person of God has a lot of stories to tell. Over the years, I have read a lot of people’s Christian life stories and am always blessed reading them because I always learn something new. While going through my library, searching for a book to read, I came across the book, Go Set A Watchman! By Thomas Greaves, the word “watchman” was what arouses my interest to read this book. The moment I spent reading this book was filled with revelations of God's glory.

This book started with the young life of the author until he began to study what he wanted to become. After the author's 21 years of service in the Air Force ended, he moved to New Jersey with his son and daughter, where they started a search for a church. The search wasn't easy, but then the Holy Spirit is always there to direct. But then the part of the book that I longed for was the part about Watchman. Personally, I haven't really understood what it means to be a watchman. This book was amazing in the sense that it gave the historical meaning of what a watchman is. Also, using the different passages and stories in the Bible, the word "watchman" made more sense. If you really want to know who a watchman is and beyond, this book is for you.

I have found that reading people's testimonies of the working power of God helps us get better and better. Ever since I started reading the Bible, I don't think I have come across the word shofar. That is to say, God keeps revealing things to us every time we are open to his voice. When I was reading this book, it felt like I could hear the sound of the shofar blown by the author. The calmness I felt revealed God's presence. This book sticks to the course from start to finish without any distracting stories that could impede smooth understanding. I love the writing style and how the author narrated his stories with the use of photographs when necessary; it felt so real.

I only had a challenge with the font size of this book. It was so tiny that I could barely see it. I had to zoom in order to see clearly. Aside from that, this book was very fine without any errors, showing careful editing. With this in mind, I can say that this book deserves a five out of five star rating.

God's revelations are not limited to the Bible. Books like this are avenues through which we get a deeper and clearer message from God. Therefore, I recommend this book to Christians who want to go deeper in Christ.

Go Set A Watchman!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

Reading your entire review, the last paragraph caught my attention. Christians today often make that mistake of regarding the Bible as the only means of getting a clear message from God. I appreciate the author for this wonderful book. Thank you for your review.
Olivia Reads
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-reads.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Olivia Reads »

The word, "watchman" is rampant amd eaaiky thrown around in in Christian teachings and talking about God but I never really knew the meaning of the word. Hopefully, reading this book would throw more light.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The review puts spotlight on the word 'watchman' in a way that everyone would at least try to have a read. It builds the suspense which is something i liked. Further, the last paragraph is a pure gem. I loved the review.
Mariam Ibraheem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-ibraheem.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mariam Ibraheem »

Your enthusiasm for the book is contagious. Your excitement about the story and characters has piqued my interest in this book.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

This is a great book for Christians. The author shared testimonies in this book that can be quite impactful on our Christian lives. Thanks for the review.
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

I don't know how but I experience a great calm while reading your review. The word flowed beautifully and I agree that you can always expect to discover something new and revealing in God's word.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Here is an amazing book that addresses building relationships and growing deeper in knowing who God is. I would love to read this book and learn from the author.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an interesting book and explore the concept of a Christian watchman. I think this is an impactful read that will inspire readers. Well done.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I love how you wrote your review. It shows that you really read and enjoyed the book. Reading other Christian’s story serves as motivation for other Christians. Well done!
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

A great book on relationship development and expanding one's understanding of God is available here. I would adore to read this book and absorb the author's knowledge.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

I really love Christian books so much and I love that you mentioned that the revelations of God are not limited to the bible, this is a great truth.
Thank you for this review.
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

I love as this books tend to put Christians on the right part of righteousness. I believe this book will benefit many Christians, including me.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

This book has an interesting title. But it sounds boring to me. Should I try it? Maybe I shouldn't judge it by its cover. Good review.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I loved the last line of the first paragraph, “ The moment I spent reading this book was filled with revelations of God's glory.” I am glad the book revealed glorious revelations. Thank you for writing an empowering and insightful review.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”