Review of Curses, Plagues and Pandemonium

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Curses, Plagues and Pandemonium

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Curses, Plagues and Pandemonium" by Holly Lewerenz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Curses, Plagues, and Pandemonium: Finding Peace, Provision, and Protection in Perilous Times, Holly Lewerenz addresses the many personal and societal problems in the world today from a spiritual perspective. The author argues that Satan is responsible, directly or indirectly, for many of the problems in the world today, and she follows that up with the idea that the assured means to overcome these problems is to seek a spiritual relationship, specifically with the Trinity—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit—a tie that comes with a lot of benefits, protection, and blessings.

What impressed me the most was Holly's absolute confidence in the protective powers and blessings of the Trinity. It was not all words, as she goes on to provide scriptural passages to back them up. Her confidence somehow encouraged me to examine some critical incidents that have happened in my life, asking if I pulled through all by myself or was assisted by divine hands. The "Key Points" and "Action Assignment" sections help remind the readers of some fundamental points raised in each chapter and engage them in some practical exercises.

There are interesting points made in this book about curses and afflictions. Holly digs into the incidents that happened in the Garden of Eden, pointing out how curses, afflictions, and fear came about and the forces that now control them. Even the COVID-19 pandemic was mentioned in this discourse. Some of the issues raised here may be controversial, especially to non-Christians, but I think there are elements of validity in those assertions. I believe that many things happening in the world today are manifestations of spiritual permutations.

Holly provided several ways we can break the reign of curses, afflictions, and fears in our lives. This begins by undertaking a spiritual rebirth and reunion with the Trinity and then establishing some spiritual covenants that empower one to make power-packed pronouncements that can break the yoke of Satan and unlock the blessings apportioned to one. There are also some lifestyles recommended to follow to expel the presence of evil spirits and negative energies in one's life, home, and office, among others.

However, it wasn't so great that the author sounded preachy some of the time, making it seem as if this was a sermon or a Sunday School handbook. Also, there were occasional drifts into theological matters beyond the scope spelled out in this book. The business before us here is how to break free from negative energies (call them curses, afflictions, fears, depression, poverty, sickness, and the like), so I don't think discussing, for example, different kinds of tongues should be included here. In addition, the Bible quotations should have been minimized to prevent those still new to the Christian faith and "visitors" from getting bored.

I rate this book three out of five stars. The information revealed in it was helpful. I believe the points made about the spiritual foundations of global problems are to a large extent valid and should spark a new way of seeking solutions to them rather than relying absolutely on human might and innovations. The author's testimonies and experiences of supernatural manifestations are inspirational. The prayers attached at the end of the book were helpful to me. Moreover, the book was well edited. I found just two grammatical errors in it.

But then I removed two stars from the rating due to the negative concerns I listed in the above paragraph. This book is recommended to anyone looking for a spiritual solution to their challenges. If conventional help like medications has failed you, I think you should pick up this book and apply the spiritual warfare offered in it. This book also serves as educational material on the connection between physical and spiritual manifestations.

Curses, Plagues and Pandemonium
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

Chemistry and Christianity have failed me in a spiritual warfare respect. I'm a bit disappointed to see this book is written from a Christian perspective. It may be helpful to some, but probably not to me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”