Review of S.T.R.O.N.G.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of S.T.R.O.N.G.

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "S.T.R.O.N.G." by Kristal DeSantis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

According to the American Psychological Association, almost 50% of marriages in the United States end in divorce. Relationships are vital tenets of our beings yet very complex in equal measure. They are difficult to nurture and maintain; that's no secret. We all wish for a simple directive or advice that would work for everyone in making our men and women happy. Unfortunately, such a directive just doesn't exist. This book, S.T.R.O.N.G. by Kristal DeSantis is the closest thing I've seen to a manual and a guide to having a healthy and happy relationship. While she writes it specifically for men, women will also find this book insightful and helpful.

Kristal is a couples therapist, and she uses her experience and knowledge to present readers with what she believes are the building blocks to having great modern relationships. She introduces the book by addressing the changes that relationships have undergone over the years. The author discusses the expectations and roles from the past and how they have changed. She concludes that introduction by boldly stating the qualities of a healthy relationship. These are safety, trust, respect, openness, nurturing, and generosity. She then uses the chapters that follow to discuss these qualities in depth. She gives solid advice on several aspects of marriage, outlining the dos and don'ts with reasonable explanations. Also included are stories from her experiences with clients and a pregame section, which gives a summary and points to note from each chapter.

Therapists have a way with their tone that is so reassuring and empathetic. On that, this book scored excellently. I felt like I was conversing with Kristal throughout my reading experience. We had a relaxed conversation, and she understood my relationship experiences. She could diagnose my problems through the book and address them precisely and accurately. She handles delicate and confusing issues with so much care and expertise. I'll give a personal example. I've always had problems with relationships, and even with different partners, I've realized that our fights are always the same, and I've convinced myself I am the problem. I've always been hard on myself for my impatience and anger, and this book did help me see these from a different perspective. If I forget everything I've read here, I will remember this line; "You can't hate yourself into being a better version of yourself. You have to love yourself to change." Hopefully, this change of approach will be the first step to getting a solution.

I loved that this book was challenging. It didn't leave me comfortable with my beliefs and actions. It challenged me to think and rethink issues and ideas. I applaud the author's dedication to research. The content in the book is well-researched and well-thought-out, with several references to other authors, books, and even public figures. It could have easily been a boring book full of cliches and boring dating advice, but her knowledge and research made it exceptional. Kristal's style of writing is simple and easy to comprehend. Her descriptions are on-point, and the stories are fascinating. The book was also organized quite well. This precise organization into chapters for each quality makes it much easier to reference.

One thing, though, is that we are in 2023, and relationships are diverse. Kristal completely ignores gay relationships. The book is so good that I wish she had left a word or two on navigating even more complex relationships. But this is probably not her area of expertise, so I won't deduct any points for that.

Given all the accolades this book has earned from me, I give it a perfect rating of five out of five stars. It is relatable, helpful, insightful, and well-written. It was also exceptionally well-edited, as I noticed no errors. I recommend it for everyone in relationships. It is good to avoid getting into issues and is perfect for working your way out of them. This isn't a substitute for therapy for couples, but it is close enough. It can be beneficial if you read it together with your partner. You'll definitely love it.

S.T.R.O.N.G.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

I love this wonderful review of yours. Relationship is vital tenets of our being yet very complex in equal measure. I suggest that every young adult should read. I must add it to my shelf
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

This is one hell of a manual and guide. Relationships always have ups and downs but it's perfect to work your way out of them and make sure your relationship is healthy and sweet. This book should be read together with your partner.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I appreciate people whose mission is to strengthen marriages and help individuals in a marriage to live in harmony and with love. Marriages are God-ordained covenants. He wants His people to be in this covenant and thrive. Thanks for the review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Marriages are under siege, it is great to find a book that is aimed at strengthening these relationships. Amazing review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Building a strong relationship for couples must address first with every partner. The example of Jane is relatable because sometimes the problem is yourself. A book that helps building a strong and happy relationship is a must-read! Your review is awesome also!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
mahsa_M
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mahsa_M »

"S.T.R.O.N.G." has received high recognition from readers for its useful and powerful counsel. The book offers workout schedules, dietary tips, and mental training exercises in addition to the personal accounts of female athletes who have overcame obstacles to succeed.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A GUIDE BY KRISTAL DESANTIS WHO TALKS ABOUT MARRIAGES IN THE UNITED STATES WHERE 50% END IN DIVORCE AND GIVES ADVICE TO MEN AND ALSO TO WOMEN TO HAVE A HEALTHY AND HAPPY RELATIONSHIP.
A BOOK FOR EVERYONE IN A RELATIONSHIP.GOOD REVIEW
MD Solayman Sakib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MD Solayman Sakib »

Your review is truly wonderful. Relationships are fundamental aspects of our lives, yet their complexity is equally striking. I wholeheartedly recommend this read to every young adult. It's a must-add to my bookshelf. I hold in high regard those dedicated to fortifying marriages and guiding individuals toward a harmonious and loving union. Marriages, after all, are sacred covenants, orchestrated by a divine plan. This book aligns beautifully with that purpose, offering a beacon of hope in a world where marriages often face challenges. In an era where relationships are frequently tested, discovering a book that earnestly strives to fortify these bonds is a treasure indeed.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Hy Be »

The book reloved around foundation of healthy relationships. Author did good job showing every aspect of relationships.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting educational non-fiction book highlighting a manual and a guide to having a healthy and happy relationship. The book is temporarily free and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

I really liked this review, it’s extremely well-written and it made me want to buy the book to all my male friends!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This review makes me want this book. Thank God it is free today. Who doesn't want to know the secrets to a STRONG relationship? I do wonder why the author addresses her book to men.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83618
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1119%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

:mrgreen2: Book 📖📖📚📖📚📖📚 of the day BOTD is non fiction self-help guide for healthy relationship and healthy conflict, how to handle sexual desires and tis on naturing pleasure , tools for repairing after conflict and fall out, the role of attachment, style and trauma in every relationship.the author gives self gude tips for increasing emotional connection after disagreement..such a good book we all go through challenges in relationships this book is worth my recommendation I will recommend it 💯✅📚, it was well written and reviewed
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

A guide for thriving relationships, this books seems to have it all if you wish to engage in a fulfilling and long-lasting marriage. Though the book is intended mostly for men, women could also reap some benefits from a nicely written book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”