Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Bettny Andrade »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Terms of Service, by Craig W. Stanfill. This is a science fiction romance book. The story takes place in a society totally governed by terms of service that can be modified without prior notice; everything is fully automated and controlled by artificial intelligence. Kim, the protagonist, is a young trainee who sticks to terms; even if she doesn't agree. She does her best to stick to the rules and try to excel at her job. But one day everything changed and step by step a frivolous truth about the society to which she belongs was revealed.

This story presents a very well achieved dystopia. At first, I thought it would be a futuristic story of all time, however, it managed to capture my attention because its plot consists of making the characters evolve with wide nuances of perspectives. I was very impressed by the sanctions they implement for the smallest detail, even if it is not an act that implies doing something wrong. It shows that many of the corrections and sanctions applied, by the terms of services, are unfair. It also draws a lot of attention that AIs are commonly the ones that turn against their creators; instead, in this story, the creators force them to act incorrectly against the values of society.

I loved the fluidity of the plot, the development of the story, the growth of the characters and the depth of the message, it is a great work that the author has written. It is also interesting that it can be understood that there are definitive rulers, whose identity is not known, but they are severe and are there somewhere developing new ways to subdue the population. In addition, the book is very well edited, I did not get any errors.

I don't have any negative aspects to refer to in terms of the book as such, I only congratulate the author who manages to convey the feeling of injustice, sadness, and despair in the face of some acts carried out during the development of the story. Managing to convey those emotions is a great achievement.

I recommend this book for adults, the book contains some explicit erotic scenes and a bit of violence. I recommend refrain for readers who find it unpleasant to read this type of content. In any case, for all those enthusiasts for new technologies, machine learning and artificial intelligence who are passionate reading about this topic. I can tell you that this book is a great choice.

Science fiction, action, and adventure are very well implemented. This book pleasantly surprised me, it exceeded my expectations and I really liked it. Therefore, I give it a rating of: 4 out of 4 stars, and 5 out of 5 stars . He managed to transport me inside the story and capture all the right emotions.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

One of the things that caught my attention is that common things from the past like writing songs and listening to music are also prohibited, there is a lot of secrecy.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

So far, I enjoyed reading this book. This futuristic book might be scary if it will become our reality. I don't like to become like Kim that's being controlled- no freedom. What is life without freedom?
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Sci-fi + Romance, two of my favourite genres.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: Human Beings First by Paul E. Wolfe

Post by Seetha E »

Intriguing plot. I would definitely not like the world to reach such a stage when people are controlled and there is no free will. You have captured the plot well in your review.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi, Bettny. I enjoyed reading your thorough review of this book. I am interested in learning more about AI and how its role is playing out. I am interested in seeing how this fictional story portrays the influence of AI on human behavior and how humans can use AI for good or evil. Your review convinces me that this story does cover the aforementioned topics. The 5 out of 5 star rating you gave this book encouraged me to add it to my bookshelves. I look forward to reading this entertaining book! Thank you. :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 12:23 [Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]

Terms of Service, by Craig W. Stanfill. This is a science fiction romance book. The story takes place in a society totally governed by terms of service that can be modified without prior notice; everything is fully automated and controlled by artificial intelligence. Kim, the protagonist, is a young trainee who sticks to terms; even if she doesn't agree. She does her best to stick to the rules and try to excel at her job. But one day everything changed and step by step a frivolous truth about the society to which she belongs was revealed.

I don't have any negative aspects to refer to in terms of the book as such, I only congratulate the author who manages to convey the feeling of injustice, sadness, and despair in the face of some acts carried out during the development of the story. Managing to convey those emotions is a great achievement.

I recommend this book for adults, the book contains some explicit erotic scenes and a bit of violence. I recommend refrain for readers who find it unpleasant to read this type of content. In any case, for all those enthusiasts for new technologies, machine learning and artificial intelligence who are passionate reading about this topic. I can tell you that this book is a great choice.
Bettny, I have to admit, this book is still sitting on my crippling TBR list! The dynamic terms of service sound like an absolute nightmare! Your review seems to agree with all the others that I have read, which makes me happy...now, if I can only get to it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on this book! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Cara Wilding wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:47
Bettny Andrade wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 12:23 [Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]

Bettny, I have to admit, this book is still sitting on my crippling TBR list! The dynamic terms of service sound like an absolute nightmare! Your review seems to agree with all the others that I have read, which makes me happy...now, if I can only get to it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on this book! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Yes it is definitely a great book. I will most likely read the next installments. I hope you can enjoy this great book. Until next time :techie-studyinggray: :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”