Review of Becoming Athena

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Excel Chisom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-chisom.html
Latest Review: Becoming Athena by Katherine Lore

Review of Becoming Athena

Post by Excel Chisom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming Athena" by Katherine Lore.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Becoming Athena by Katherine Lore is a coming-of-age story about Scarlet Leone, a Utah teenager with a difficult home life. Scarlet grows up, falls in love, and tries to make peace with her past. But the future is not guaranteed, and she must find ways to navigate the life she didn’t see coming. This is her journey to find herself and face life head-on; she must become the titular Athena, brave and strong. Unlike most high school students, Scarlet is unique. She isn't fitting in well with her friends. She compares them to the likes of Aphrodite, Hercules, and Apollo, including the handsome, charming boy across the street named Cy (aka Apollo). She finds herself falling for him despite her determination not to. Following Scarlet’s journey, she feels like a mortal in the world of the gods. determined to keep her head down. 

This is a coming-of-age novel following Scarlet through a journey of religious exploration, self-discovery, and forgiveness. Lore has created a study of how no person is completely good or bad in every character. She does a brilliant job of making Scarlet a relatable character filled with juxtapositions. Scarlet is capable yet vulnerable, intelligent while still making mistakes, and incredibly sure of herself while questioning every aspect of her life. The themes discussed in the book are relatable and familiar, as Scarlet struggles with her religious beliefs and sense of belonging.

This is much more than a love story. In fact, that wasn’t even my favourite part. Scarlet has an additional depth that is often missing in young-adult novels. She is from an abusive family and grapples with her identity as part of that home. She also struggles with being the only non-Mormon in her community. She takes her own path in school and in her personal interests. Basically, Scarlet is a well-developed character, with or without a relationship. Additionally, her friends and family had amazing developments. Every character has their own story, and they all change and grow as the years pass.
I loved everything about this book. throughout her journey. I would rate this book a 5 out of 5.I love the Greek mythology references used throughout the book. It was professionally edited and, overall, a remarkably smooth read. I loved both the story itself and the underlying message. I do not feel it would be off-putting to readers of any religious belief. The author does a great job of providing information while remaining unbiased. 

I recommend this book to a variety of audiences. Those interested in Greek mythology will enjoy the modern take on the personalities of the gods, while those wanting a good love story will be equally satisfied. The most appropriate demographic would be female readers in their late teens or early twenties. However, I could also see those outside this range enjoying the book.

Becoming Athena
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Emmanuel2023
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel2023.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Emmanuel2023 »

Very nice review , it’s really nice and makes me more interested in reading this book
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can see how it’s easier to compare those you know to mythical beings than to really get to know them, especially when you’re so insecure.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

This is quite an interesting plot but I am a bit confused with the novel, is it about ancient Greek culture and their gods or is it a modern word book written?
The only way to find out is to grab a copy for me. Nice review.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is an interesting review. I wished you have given the meaning of a Mormon. These days, there are a lot of young adults with issues developing from the bad situations in their families. I’ll love to know how Scarlett was able to scale through. Nice review!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Why is Scarlet thinking of her friends as gods and what is the cause for her not fitting in? Wonderful review, well done!!!
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Scarlett sounds like an intriguing character. I can imagine the clash between her religion and her belief.
I hope she was able to come out strong, giving the complicated situations she found herself.
Thanks for the great review.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

I love the character of Scarlett. She's a strong and brave young woman. A great coming of age story that talks about love, self discovery and religious beliefs. Thank you for this great review.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Scarlet seems like an interesting character to read about. I understand her emotional attachment and I look forward to reading on how it went. Well done
Andrew Uche
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-uche.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Andrew Uche »

Scarlet's character reminds me a lot about myself and I'm actually intrigued and interested to know how she navigates her emotions and deals with her religious beliefs. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”