Review of Dagger's Destiny

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Dagger's Destiny

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dagger's Destiny" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

King Amren charges Catrin with treason. She had intercepted his attempt to kill her Roman lover, Marcellus. Catrin swears fealty to Amren; however, he banishes her. Marcellus is hated by Decimus' soldiers for allowing Catrin to flee. Lucius was ordered by Emperor Tiberius to withdraw, but he had planned to invade Britannia. Marrock attacks Marcellus in wolf form, but Catrin’s essence intervenes and causes Marrock severe wounds. Marrock gathers help and attacks Decimus and Trystan during a prisoner exchange. He chases Trystan, who attempts to warn Amren during a marriage ceremony. The deadly attack pits both sides against each other, and war will force Catrin’s ultimate decision to affect everyone’s fate.

Linnea Tanner increases the overwhelming suspense in Dagger’s Destiny. In the second book of the Curse of The Clansmen and Kings series, it is clear King Amren has become desperate. Marrock’s character becomes more threatening, and he isn’t shy about showing his disdain for Marcellus and King Amren’s family. I found the mystery of Catrin’s visions perplexing. She was just as baffled by them. I felt sorry for poor Ferrex since he remains loyal to Catrin despite her mistreatment. She should have been thankful for Ferrex saving her from certain death. If he had not taken on her training, King Amren could have beheaded her as he had Rhan.

There is never a dull moment in the entire book. The execution of the transitions between the myriad of characters is flawless. The vivid depiction of the scenery allowed me to become immersed in the story. I could imagine peering over a ridge at the unsuspecting soldiers and hearing the thundering of hooves as the cavalry raced toward the invaders. Marrock disgusted me with his brutality; he seems to enjoy inflicting pain upon innocent people. The plot in this book is unpredictable, and I struggled to decide who sided with Marrock. I didn’t know if Lucius helped Marrock or if he was pursuing his goal of ruling Britannia. He had no problem with sacrificing Marcellus as a reason for his invasion.

I have nothing negative to say about this mythical fantasy book. I commend Tanner’s ability to blend history and Celtic mythology into the story. She includes a list of characters in a glossary. There is mention of Roman characters like Augustus and Mark Antony, which increases understanding of why Lucius wanted recognition from Emperor Tiberius.

Dagger’s Destiny's editing is flawless. Therefore, I am awarding this book a score of five out of five stars. The well-developed characters, intriguing plot, and unpredictable events deserve a perfect score.

I recommend mature readers for this book. There is some profanity, detailed violence, and sexual themes that are inappropriate for younger readers. Anyone sensitive to reading details of rape and multiple murders involving children may want to skip this book.

Dagger's Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Oh, I'm sorry Catrin becomes a little bit spoiled in the sequel. I read the first installment and loved it. The descriptions are truly fascinating as you say.
:)
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 19:59 Oh, I'm sorry Catrin becomes a little bit spoiled in the sequel. I read the first installment and loved it. The descriptions are truly fascinating as you say.
:)

She definitely gets taken down a notch near the end of the book.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m really afraid this is not for me. I prefer more modern novels. This was an excellent review, though.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

A rich, adventurous plot with many well-developed characters sounds like a fantastic read! I love mythology, so this is a good book for my TBR list. I enjoyed reading your thorough, well-articulated review of the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”