Review of Yildun

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Review of Yildun

Post by Grace Elkana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Yildun" by Andri E Elia.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Yanara, the worldmaker, is three hundred years old, but she is a young woman by Yand's standards. She is a celestial wizard. The worldmaker can change, move, burn, and mangle things, most notably celestial objects. However, she has a problem. She cannot focus her power, and horrible consequences always follow after using such enormous power. Catastrophe strikes when an enemy, the K'tul, comes against Yand from space in a fleet of spaceships. The enemy breaks through the original spell by the worldmaker before Yanara.

In desperation, Yanara moves Yand's fourth moon, Calypso, out of its orbit and positions it between them and the enemy's space fleet, blocking their firepower. She succeeds in blocking the K'tul, reestablishing the planet's shield. However, Calypso perpetually eclipses the sun, throwing the planet into eternal darkness. When she tries to fix the problem, Queen Stardust forbids her. She fears the K'tul will breach the new planetary shield, so she leaves the moon in its new orbit. Does it stop the K'tul from advancing again?

Yildun by Andri E Elia is narrated in the first person by Yanara and takes us on a thrilling journey through an intense and creatively written fantasy world. This fantasy world is built to the finest detail, with a fascinating history that draws you in, leaving nothing to the imagination. The book is filled with action, adventure, and suspense. I like how detailed the author is. She creates different planets, moons, and languages; even the characters' names and places are unique. She also embeds into the mix different magical creatures, from dragons to unicorns and mages. She also details the complications of giving birth to a winged baby.

I like the storyline of the book; it is realistic and relatable. The plot is an intriguing tale with lots of twists and turns. The author tells of Yanara and her marital entanglements. She tells of her attempts to birth a daughter during the premise of an interplanetary war. However, the premise soon spills into a multigenerational saga filled with revenge, spells, formation flying, and plenty of military adventures and bloody heroics. What I like most is how the love story between Yanara and Frost unfolds. For one who doesn't believe in bonding, Yanara takes this relationship like the one she has with her wife. The story portrays the ups and downs of a relationship and the efforts that can be made to resolve issues.

Andri E Elia gives a detailed description of her characters using simple terms and accompanying pictures. These pictures help to give life to the descriptions in the book. However, I dislike how the narration felt a little bit laid back and slow-paced for an action-filled book. There's too much story about preparations and little action. Considering that this issue is subjective, I won't penalize the book.

Yildun is exceptionally edited and deserves 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to sci-fi and fantasy lovers. If you enjoy stories with strong female characters, this book is also for you.

Yildun
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Is thus a prequel to “Polaris”? I want to read that one based on a review I read. This one sounds like i will give me background on Yanara, her relationships, and her powers.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

Your review for this book is top notch and I must admit that I love the cover page too. Would be nice to read this book someday adding it to my bookshelf ASAP. Nice review.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

I must read this! I feel jealous that you read it first😭😭
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

Yildun is a fantasy novel that has been creatively written. I enjoy books like this
MarĂ­a Andrea FernĂĄndez SepĂșlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by MarĂ­a Andrea FernĂĄndez SepĂșlveda »

Wow! It must take a huge amount of talent and attention to detail to construct such an intricate world. I'm not much into sci-fi/fantasy but I can see how readers who like the genre could love this book.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Post by Christell Lindeque »

This fantasy novel is filled with action, adventure and suspense with a creatively written story for the reader's imagination to enjoy. Great review.
Giota Bk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Giota Bk »

That's a real strong review, following the plot in the important pieces. That really got me to read all the book because I really enjoy fantasy and sci-fi. I will really love the pictures, all though I enjoy more action. This is one of the books that is dropped on my lists to read right now.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

A celestial wizard that cannot control her powers sounds like an intriguing storyline. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Marie ChalupovĂĄ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Marie ChalupovĂĄ »

I am always happy to get SFF book of the day and this one sounds right up my alley. I enjoy characters with strong magic and of course they have to have some weakness to balance out their power. This sounds like a new magical world I would like to discover. Thank you for the review.
Benjamin Bauda 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Benjamin Bauda 1 »

Am not really into sci-fi and fantasy novels but following the review, I will love to give it a try to view the magical world and to see if it would drag me into it's world
Nicole Naicker
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-naicker.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nicole Naicker »

I'm not a fan of the cover image for the book. Based on that I would not read this book. But this review makes it sound good. I especially love stories with strong feminine leads.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It seems dangerous to leave so much uncontrolled power in the hands of just one wizard. I will be curious to find out what happens to Yand.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I’m not a big fan of fantasy and sci-fi but I like a strong female character. Thanks for your review!
Elizabeth Masya
Currently Reading: From Refrigerator Chaos to Keto
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Elizabeth Masya »

The book sounds interesting. The author clearly used her imagination to create a make-believe world that appears so real.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”