Review of The Prophecy of the Heron:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Don Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-don-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of The Prophecy of the Heron:

Post by Chris Don Nwaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prophecy of the Heron:" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kim was labeled a traitor after making love to Shan, which was against the law, and was sent to District 33, a harsh and demeaning neighborhood filled with thugs, thieves, and others. Kim entered a world she was unfamiliar with, unprepared for whatever this new neighborhood had in store for her. Kim was constantly watched by the director, who appeared dissatisfied with her defiance. She meets new people, makes new enemies, and does everything she can to survive. On her first day, she met Mags and Luz, both of whom were eager to take her life. Kim believed that someone in the Artificial Intelligence Center wanted her dead. She needed money to survive. She got a job as a pedicabbie with one of the entrepreneurs, Len. She thinks of Shan and her well-being; after the encounter that got her into this mess, Shan went blank, and they planned to elope together. But Shan was nowhere to be found. Will she ever see Shan again? How will she survive in District 33 without a housebot, all other technologies, and all the comforts of her previous life? Get a copy to find out.

Craig W. Stanfill's novel The Prophecy of Heron was an engrossing read. I was captivated as I read how the author divided the book into three sections. Part one is about her exile, which included a lot of things but, more specifically, how she adjusts to her new life and new home. Shadows, the second part, had to hide for a few days to avoid being killed, and she was guided to the truth by an unseen hand. Third, the Maelstrom, where she was kidnapped by the UCE and forced to undergo gender treatment. This book reminded me of two fantastic movies I'd seen recently: Divergent and The Hunger Games. The plot was captivating and intriguing. I enjoyed reading this book and found many things to like about it. The first was how the author provided very clear and crisp descriptions of everything in this book, which helped to bring the characters to life. I found myself amused by Kim's intelligence and the way she dealt with challenges. She was my favorite character, and her compassion for both humans and AIs was endearing. I admired her for going against all odds to make things right, even if it meant risking her life.

What I didn't like was the use of the pronoun "her" throughout the book, even for a male character. As I read, this was upsetting and perplexing because whenever I came across a supposed male character with a male name being referred to as "her," I had to remind myself that he was a male character. But I appreciate that the author mentioned this at the beginning of the book rather than just dropping it on the reader. Also, I would recommend including a glossary of terms and names because I couldn't find some of the words used in the book in the dictionary while looking up their definitions.

I will still give this book five out of five stars because I greatly enjoyed reading it and was engrossed by the plot and clear descriptions, and because the aforementioned problems were insufficient to deduct a star. However, I suggest additional editing because I found a few mistakes while reading. Additionally, I want to compliment the editor on a job well done. The author's imagination was outstanding.

I would recommend this book to fans of science fiction, romance, and fantasy novels; they will find it fascinating. Because of the mild sexual content, I would recommend it to a more mature audience.

The Prophecy of the Heron:
View: on Bookshelves
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The book cover page and title are attractive to me. The author sure knows his onions well and I look forward to reading about Kim, Shuan, and district 33. Well done!!!
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Seems Kim was framed for what she did not do and would be nice to know her lover helped her in one way or the other. Good review.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

I have also seen those movies, and would love to read this book because I really did enjoy those movies.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I see that this is the second book of Terms of Service. This will be interesting. I’m sure there’s a reason why these people are after Kim’s life. Great review!
Chinex Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinex-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Chinex Otuokere »

One of the things that picked my interest in the book was the cover. Though I have not read the book but the review has given me reasons why I should read it. Good job.
Shyanna Bolf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shyanna Bolf »

The cover makes me cringe. The title is interesting it draws you to conclude that there is a battle to be won for the protagonist. This review adds an intriguing plume of information on the characters that makes them unforgettable and I want to read more.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

You're right, the book is such an engrossing read! What I especially loved was how it's action-packed! The action never stops, from beginning to end! How the author managed to keep the action going throughout without making the story boring is amazing to me. Top-notch skill! This sequel is definitely better than its prequel. Congratulations on your published review!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Blessind Victor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blessind Victor »

It seem that this these people are after Kim's life and also I love the way the author keep the action going to the end of the book without boring moment
Viviana Libreros
Currently Reading: The Sleepeasy Solution
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviana-libreros.html
Latest Review: An Island Long Ago by Julie Burnette

Post by Viviana Libreros »

This is the second book of Terms of Service, can't wait to read it and be captivated by the continuation of Kim's Story! Great Review!
Bisola Adeleke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisola-adeleke.html
Latest Review: My Brave Face by Heather Simpson

Post by Bisola Adeleke »

This sounds interesting, but why would the author have used “her” all through, even for male characters. I’ll like to read the book
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

Life inside District 33 will not be an easy one, it will be interesting to find out how Kim was able to survive. Nice review.
Martina Matome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Martina Matome »

The Prophecy of the Heron is a fantasy novel geared towards young adults by S.M. Wheeler. It is set in a world where a delicate peace between the human and animal worlds is threatened and a princess is called upon to save it.

The novel follows Sara, a young princess from the human kingdom who finds herself drawn into an adventure beyond her memories and imagination. With the guidance of an owl, Sara embarks on a quest to save the kingdom from a mysterious enemy, and fulfill the prophecy of the heron.

This is a well-crafted story with plenty of action, adventure, and suspense. Wheeler does a good job at creating a vivid and believable world, populated by memorable and complex characters. In addition, the themes of friendship, courage, and self-discovery are also explored.

Overall, The Prophecy of the Heron is an enjoyable and captivating fantasy read. The intriguing world, suspenseful and action-packed scenes,
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"The Prophecy of the Heron:" by Craig W. Stanfill seam like a story that will Interest me considering that it has a setting in a regimented place. I will consider reading.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I read this book and it frustrated me to not know if Kim was a man or a woman. The library and the AI controlling how people were allowed to think without persecution were interesting. The time jumps were somewhat confusing near the end too. This book is philosophically written with a thin line between right and wrong.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”