Review of Cut Yourself a Break

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Review of Cut Yourself a Break

Post by Bef Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cut Yourself a Break" by Sarah Fletcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cut Yourself a Break by Sarah Fletcher is a complete guide for people to learn how to be kind to themselves. Self-compassion in this book was defined as being kinder to oneself. This book covers a wide range of self-compassion and the effects of individuals not having self-compassion. She shared her story and other incidents to show how important self-compassion is. The pillars of self-compassion are self-kindness, humanity, and mindfulness. She explains these pillars as trying to avoid focusing on the flaws but accepting them, forgiving themselves, and stopping blaming themselves. She also talked about the misconception between self-pity and self-compassion, then guided us on the journey to achieve self-compassion. I will spare you the details for now but grab a copy of this book to find out more.

Before reading this book, I had never really taken notice of the word "self-compassion," but this book shows how important it is to be self-compassionate. Sarah's story was both emotional and encouraging. Despite all that she faced, she still forgave herself. I learned a lot of things from reading this book. For example, I have learned that I must always know how to forgive and be kind to myself first, and then I will be kind to others too. This book also tells people to be kind to others, as their actions may affect people in the future. These are just some of the numerous messages that this book passes across.

One would see the amount of work put into researching this topic just by reading this book. A lot of real-life stories were talked about to buttress this point. The sites and references for this work were included at the back for further research. I enjoyed the delivery of the topics in this book. Every point was well-analyzed, and the author left no stone unturned. The writing style was impressive, and the book flowed perfectly. I liked that this book was short and straightforward.

It is really hard to dislike anything about this book, but I think I enjoyed the author's views and what she had to say more than some of the referenced stories in the book. Some of the stories did not make sense as much as the author did. Aside from this minor dislike, this book was perfect. It was free of any form of error, and it was exceptionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the lives this book will help. People who are battling with trauma should get a copy of this book. It will help them ease the tension and forgive themselves. Psychologists and therapists should get a copy of this book too. It will help them in their line of work when tending to patients.

Cut Yourself a Break
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

This is interesting! Self-compassion? Compassion is often encouraged to show others but to oneself. This is the first time I'm seeing this idea. I would like to know how to cut myself a break, as the book puts it. Great review.
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

I'm also ashamed to admit that I have never really self compassion into consideration. Your review has given me insights into more on this topic. This book would surely do some good for people facing traumas and who can't seem to have that self love.
This would be a great read.
Your review was nice.
Kudos!
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

It might seem like a no brainier but sometimes you do need to remind people to try to be nice to themselves. And you sometimes have to do that then you definitely will find people who are learning to be nice to themselves. This is a self-help book for such people.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

I definitely need more self-compassion and this books seems like something that could help me. Beautiful review!
ArdentPeruser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentperuser.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by ArdentPeruser »

The title of the book itself gives one person a sense of relief. In this fast paced world, it is okay to take a pause and catch our breath. Mental health is the most important concern that we should focus on in life, after all. If our mind is not healthy, then our body will not be in its best condition, as well.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I'm one of those people who run themselves ragged because I don't know how to say "NO" I seem to always be apologizing for not having finished something and call myself useless. It is a trait my family has tried to save me from' Having read this wonderful review I really think this is a book I should have so I have now ordered the paperback copy. I am looking forward t learning self-compassion through the stories. Thank you for this review I really appreciate it!
Engr_Shairax
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Engr_Shairax »

This book is very relatable since I am currently experiencing these realities of life. Still, we need to look at the bright side of ourselves and slowly embrace our flaws because it made us as who we are now. We are perfectly imperfect in every ways that we can!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 84362
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1194%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖📚 of the day BOTD is non fiction guide from dozen of stories shared by people who have gone through different kinds of traumatic experience be it chronic illness, bullying,war. they share how people made them feel hopeless as if they were the only ones experiencing trauma at that time alone .the author talks about "cutting yourself a break" and by this she means not giving up !? But facing the trauma like it's not a traumatic no more , she gives good guide through self compassion .I really like this book because traumatic experience touches our daily lives and through Saras guidelines we can over come it.the book was well written and reviewed making it so easy to understand I will recommend it to everyone
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

For sure, we can learn useful lessons from a guide that focuses on teaching people to be kind to themselves. The topic of self-compassion is important since sometimes we can make the mistake of blaming and scolding ourselves. I find it positive that the book is backed by research and real-life stories.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Kind of the author to elaborate on the difference between self pity and self compassion. Alot of people are so hard on themselves, they drive themselves into depression. Self compassion is important.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This self-help book can be very useful to teach us how to face problems and traumas with an attitude that can help us to go through such adversities using self-compassion. Through real stories, the author offers a way to improve the quality of our lives during hardship. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
tammys988
Favorite Author: Lynsay Sands
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
fav_author_id: 5538

Post by tammys988 »

This book sounds wonderful. By what I have read it seems to be very well thought out idea and concept about what it means to show ourselves compassion. We as humans show other people compassion all while feeling horrible about who we are and the decisions we make. I for one have never even thought much into self compassion before I heard about this book. I can honestly see this book helping lots of people overcoming things like self-hatred, self-esteem issues, and countless of other normally daily struggles we have simply do to how much self-criticism we have to ourselves.
Robinlloyd17
Currently Reading: Fair cronies and felonies
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinlloyd17.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Robinlloyd17 »

It is so important to see ourselves in the correct light. Thinking positively about ourselves is physically healthy. But learning to do this without pitying ourselves is difficult and does not come naturally. This book has the potential to help many people, in many ways.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I believe that the voice in my head is very mean towards me and always has this negative perception of me. I'm sure this book will help me in correcting that.
Congratulations to the author for BOTD!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”