Review of Just Die

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Just Die

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Just Die" by E Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I think the power to kill by just saying a few words or using a gesture would be an awesome responsibility. I don't think I could handle it. Could you?

Do you remember the silly things your mom used to tell you? Jake Silver does. In Just Die by E. Alan Fleischauer, one of those things caused him a lot of trouble. Instead of getting angry and giving people the finger, she said to point at them and say, "Just die!" (Not any better, in my opinion.) Since Jake’s stroke, though, those people really do die. First, it was the guy in the hospital bed next to him that kept moaning and coughing; then, it was Kim Jong-un on TV; and then, it was a random bicyclist who angered him. What was going on?

Jake discussed his problem with his fiance, Beth Ann, and his friend and driver, Omar. At first, neither of them could believe he had such a "gift”, but eventually they both decided that it was possible, even if they didn't believe in it. After Jake tried his new power on a possibly rabid raccoon at the veterinary clinic where Beth Ann had a job and it worked, everyone involved believed. How hard would it be to control a "gift" this powerful? Could you do it?

I don’t like that Beth Ann and Mary Jane call this a God-given power. As far as I'm concerned, God doesn't condone frivolous murder and He would never give anyone the ability to murder others so casually, if at all. I can't say I really dislike it, but all of the female characters have more than one name. Even DC—that's her full name—has one that sounds like it should stand for two. It’s just a little strange.

I liked that Jake was using his power to help farmers save their livestock from predators. That might have been one good thing to come from his use of the power. Though no one had dealt with this kind of situation before, obviously, they were OK with it, even supportive. I liked that all of the characters were fleshed out. The reader was told something about even the most minor character.

This novel contains a lot of non-borderline profanity and some that is borderline. Kids probably hear worse in regular conversations, but I cannot recommend this to younger readers. I do think this is an interesting topic, and I recommend it to those who like thrillers. It's especially intriguing because the main character is not doing this killing intentionally, for the most part.

I really liked reading this book, even though it was truly fiction. The main situation could never happen. Unfortunately, some things, like planting evidence and making arrests without good cause, can, and do, happen. It was easy to like until the final few chapters. This novel was exciting from the first pages and kept me reading voraciously throughout. I was very disappointed in the ending, however. It felt to me like Mr. Fleischauer ran out of anything for the secondary characters to do, so he just cut them off.

There were very few errors, and this book was obviously well edited. I really wanted to give this novel a higher rating. Because of the abrupt ending and my dissatisfaction with how the wrap-up was handled, I was only able to rate this novel 3 out of 5 stars. I just can't get past the fact that everyone calls this a God-given gift, and I can't believe that God would support such a power.

Just Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

I wonder what this book is trying to portray. Calling this a God-given gift is simply outrageous. However, I love that his power was used to prevent predator attacks. Well-done!
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Sounds like a good book. I love the plot already 😁😁 thanks for being honest in your review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you Amy for the thorough review.
Magic powers need to have an equivalent opponent. I think that was missing in the book. And agreed, it shouldn't be called God-given power.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

One more thing is missing in this book is that the author didn't reveal or say anything how jake got the power in the first place. You wrote a great review. Appreciated!
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Amy, I always love your reviews. When you mentioned that Beth Ann and Mary Jane call this a God-given power I instantly disagreed and I agree with you that God doesn't condone frivolous murder and He would never give anyone the ability to murder others so casually, if at all.
This is a nice review 👏
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

This review made the book sound more intrguing. I was compelled to read how Sy a priestess, resolved her conflict with Rem the goddess. Sci-fi about goddesses, their powers and rage over those who challenge their command. A metaphor about real rulers of this world ?
Anna_1203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-1203.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anna_1203 »

It is strange that the characters see the evil power as a gift from God. Despite being fiction, Plot still sounds implausible to me. Thank you for such an interesting and well-written review.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

Jake needs a match for each of his abilities. God will never, if ever, permit somebody to carelessly murder another person since He disapproves of such acts. The author never revealed or stated how Jake obtained power in the first place.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

One can not know what power lies in the tongue. As a believer, I was taught that God placed life and death in the power of the tongue. Seeing how Jake's life turned out made me feel the cause of his suffering was the utterance from his mother tongue. Just Die by E. Alan Fleischauer is an interesting novel and I would make plans to read it. This is a well-detailed review I would say in my opinion.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I get your issues about them calling it a God-given power. The storyline does sound intriguing. I love a good thriller, so I'll check this book out.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Glory_C wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 00:16 I wonder what this book is trying to portray. Calling this a God-given gift is simply outrageous. However, I love that his power was used to prevent predator attacks. Well-done!
Overall, it was very good! :techie-studyinggray:
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Mercy Sos wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 12:40 Sounds like a good book. I love the plot already 😁😁 thanks for being honest in your review.
I always try to be. Otherwise, what is the point? :)
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Kavita Shah wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 23:06 Thank you Amy for the thorough review.
Magic powers need to have an equivalent opponent. I think that was missing in the book. And agreed, it shouldn't be called God-given power.
I’m not sure where they came from, but it wasn’t God. :?
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Anil Gupta - wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 02:02 One more thing is missing in this book is that the author didn't reveal or say anything how jake got the power in the first place. You wrote a great review. Appreciated!
I think maybe it had something to do with his stroke and the treatment of it. Maybe I just missed that part. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”