Review of Tree of Lives

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Tree of Lives

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tree of Lives" by Elizabeth Garden.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tree of Lives is a book written by Elizabeth Garden. It consists of sixty-three chapters that follow the life and times of Ruth Thompson as she is drawn in to uncover the dark secrets of her family while struggling to make a better living for herself.

The book begins with Raymond Spang waking up as a ghost on the Otherside. He does not remember who he is, but he knows that he is a killer, and he wishes to find his family and make amends. This leads him through the journeys of his extended family's lives and brings him to follow Ruth, his great-niece.

As the book progresses, it is split between uncovering the mysteries behind Raymond's death and his family's disappearance and following Ruth from her formative years up to her twilight years. The book chronicles Ruth's struggles with family and finding love while following Raymond as he tries to find a new purpose. What happened to Raymond and his family? What will become of Ruth? Find out in the pages of this book.

There is a lot I liked about this book. I liked the language used throughout the book. It was easily understood, and I was able to follow through effortlessly. I also like the effort put into showcasing a contrast in cultures and political views. This was evident in the interactions between many characters. It also brought about some interesting conflicts between the characters. For example, the fight between Leo and Ward truly displayed some awful by-products of the political divide in America. I also found myself emotionally attached to Ruth. Her struggles were very compelling, and her empathy in the face of her family's terrible treatment was awe-inspiring. I was particularly happy when she met Carl. Ultimately the book had an interesting plot that was easy to follow and enjoy, and the visual images in the book gave the book an exciting feel.

There was a little negativity in the book. I found some characters to be underdeveloped. An example of these characters is Ward. I would have liked to see more about his transition from a pilot to a narcissistic father. Also, very little is known about Daine.

I found no errors in this book as it was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The compelling nature of Ruth's story, coupled with the intriguing journey of Raymond Spang, ensured my satisfaction with the book, regardless of the negative aspects. As a result, I could not rate it lower. I recommend this book to anyone seeking inspiration or strength to shine through their struggles. It is also interesting to note that the book is an autobiography of the author written under a pen name. This is unique but should still be enjoyed by lovers of autobiography.

Tree of Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

Sounds like a mysterious book. I like the fact it's an autobiography under a pen name.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I wonder what the connection is between Ruth and Raymond. Maybe she is who he’s looking for? Anyway, this novel sounds really interesting. I also like not having to navigate lots of errors.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”